Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

PAU wrote: »
    Hi guys, I only just found out about this update now, I'm on the 20mg speed, do I have to contact them for an upgrade or will it just be done?

I rang a few weeks back and was told it would be done automatically. Still not got the upgrade yet but was told it was only a few weeks away from the Lucan area. Just needs an upgrade to be done is waht I was told anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I rang a few weeks back and was told it would be done automatically. Still not got the upgrade yet but was told it was only a few weeks away from the Lucan area. Just needs an upgrade to be done is waht I was told anyways.

I think somewhere in this thread March was mentioned for the updates to be rolled out to everyone (or at least start).

But as stated in this thread, you can apply for the update early if you like - though the benefits don't seem that great at the moment as they seem to be suffering a bit of bother and teething problems rolling out their new fibre broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Thanks for the reply mate.

Sorry for the double post guys but I noticed that my bill has gone up by 2Euro aswell to 53Euros ( I pay by credit card), this happen to anynoe else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

PAU, do you have broadband only? And did you fill in the online upgrade form, or call them to upgrade?

For new customers the standalone charge has increased from €6 to €8... but when you fill in the online form it specifically states that you will not 'incur any extra costs'.

• Advertisement

I just have broadband only mate, I have been with them for a while now.I have the 20mg package ever since it came out, just wondered did the bill go up for everybody?

I just have broadband only mate, I have been with them for a while now.I have the 20mg package ever since it came out, just wondered did the bill go up for everybody?

The bill cannot go up at any point unless you sign a new contract - which you would have to do if you request the upgrade online.

If you leave it to the roll out, well then they cannot charge you any more until your next contract period starts.

I know they state 'you will not incur any further fees' or whatever, but if the actual price is different when you sign the new contract, its not an additional fee.

So I better give them a ring so as they are conning me.

Many thanks guys.

PAU, did you upgrade using the online form or on the telephone?

If you used the online form tell them where to shove it... the following are the T&Cs you agreed to when you filled in form, specifically stating no extra costs:

I understand that by upgrading to the new higher speed I am entering into a new 12 month contract. Increases from 3Mb to 5Mb, 10Mb to 15Mb, and 20Mb to 30Mb will not incur any extra costs.

I have just taken a screenshot of that page... my bill will be printed on the 21st, a phone call to UPC may ensue if they're trying it on with me.

I know they state 'you will not incur any further fees' or whatever, but if the actual price is different when you sign the new contract, its not an additional fee.

As I just posted, it says 'not incur any extra costs'. At very best it's misleading advertising.

• Advertisement

the_law wrote: »
    PAU, did you upgrade using the online form or on the telephone?

If you used the online form tell them where to shove it... the following are the T&Cs you agreed to when you filled in form, specifically stating no extra costs:

I understand that by upgrading to the new higher speed I am entering into a new 12 month contract. Increases from 3Mb to 5Mb, 10Mb to 15Mb, and 20Mb to 30Mb will not incur any extra costs.

I have just taken a screenshot of that page... my bill will be printed on the 21st, a phone call to UPC may ensue if they're trying it on with me.

Technically they can get away with it - as unfair as it may seem. You are signing a new contract, so if the cost is now €2 more, well then you've entered into a new contract at a new price. They are not charging you for upgrading...

I suspect there's some small print somewhere. I'll have a look.

** edit

The packages are 22, 32, and 42 euro per month (5mb, 15mb, 30mb) can anyone remember the cost of the old packages? I did not that the telephone service has increased by €1 (if you go to the made to measure section, it used to be €5)

It's been so long I' can't really remember, I only found out about this 30mg speed today when I logged on here, my bill was always 51 Euro with a credit card, it's 53 now for some reason.

The packages are 22, 32, and 42 euro per month (5mb, 15mb, 30mb) can anyone remember the cost of the old packages? I did not that the telephone service has increased by €1 (if you go to the made to measure section, it used to be €5)

The packages were previously 22,32 and 42 euro per month. They may have had a 1mb option that has been removed, but I'm sure about the 10 and 20mb packages.

Dublin_Gunner - you are right, a new contract has been entered into by 'signing' the online upgrade form.

However, as I interpret it, the consumer is contracting with UPC to increase their broadband speed (the service to be provided) and is agreeing to an extension of contract of 12 months (by way of consideration). UPC explicity state that no extra costs will be incurred by the consumer.

Furthermore, my bill used show two elements: a 20mb broadband fee, and a 'Broadband Standalone Charge'.

My services on 'myupc' now show a 'Fibre Power Standalone Charge' - which I assume to be more expensive.

But the contract entered into is to change the broadband element of my bill to Fibre Power 30Mb at no extra cost. As no reference is made to a standalone charge in the contract I signed, it cannot change.

My services on 'myupc' now show a 'Fibre Power Standalone Charge' - which I assume to be more expensive.

Mine does aswell.

So I pre-emptively called UPC - who confirmed to me that I will continue to pay 48 euro for my (30mb) broadband even though I had upgraded early.

It may be a system error in your case. I'd call them.

So you don't pay by credit card so mate?

So you don't pay by credit card so mate?

No, Direct Debit for me. That'll be why your price used be €51, it was €48 plus the €3 non direct debit fee.

Have you spoken to them?

Not yet mate, going to ring them soon.

The packages were previously 22,32 and 42 euro per month. They may have had a 1mb option that has been removed, but I'm sure about the 10 and 20mb packages.

Dublin_Gunner - you are right, a new contract has been entered into by 'signing' the online upgrade form.

However, as I interpret it, the consumer is contracting with UPC to increase their broadband speed (the service to be provided) and is agreeing to an extension of contract of 12 months (by way of consideration). UPC explicity state that no extra costs will be incurred by the consumer.

Furthermore, my bill used show two elements: a 20mb broadband fee, and a 'Broadband Standalone Charge'.

But the contract entered into is to change the broadband element of my bill to Fibre Power 30Mb at no extra cost. As no reference is made to a standalone charge in the contract I signed, it cannot change.

Ah, you're on a standalone BB package? (no tele etc). They have increased the charge for Fibre BB - thats where you're extra €2 is going. They can technically say you aren't being charged any extra for the service.

However, as the 'standalone' charge is a requirement if you don;t have any other service, it certainly is sneaky...

Consumer Protection Bill 2007
    46.—(1) A commercial practice is misleading if the trader omits
    or conceals material information that the average consumer would
    need, in the context, to make an informed transactional decision
    (“material information”) and such practice would be likely to cause
    the average consumer to make a transactional decision that the average
    consumer would not otherwise make.

Also, from the UPC 'price changes' page:

We’re giving our broadband customers faster speeds for no additional cost.

I'm a broadband customer, I have taken faster speeds and expect to pay no additional cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

687540306.png

UPC techie arrived a while ago,in relation to my poor speed since upgrading,(20Mb to 30Mb)changed my modem to a Scientific Atlanta,however my upload speed has remained the same,according to him it must be an outside problem,so have to wait now for another visit:confused:

cbr900 wrote: »

UPC techie arrived a while ago,in relation to my poor speed since upgrading,(20Mb to 30Mb)changed my modem to a Scientific Atlanta,however my upload speed has remained the same,according to him it must be an outside problem,so have to wait now for another visit:confused:

Well, I'd be happy, you're getting the guts of a low BB package ABOVE what you're meant to be getting (d/l speed)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Just had a call from UPC now saying they are are still looking into the problem. I think it is a contention issue for me as now in the morning etc I am getting 13Mbps etc but come peak time it goes down as low as 1.19Mbps sometimes and averages around 3.5 or 4Mbps.
    Suppose if a lot of people in my area upgraded, that could have used all the available bandwidth and they might need to add more. Hopefully they get it sorted soon and am waiting til 21st to see my bill as I am not paying €2 extra for the standalone charge on point of principle. If they had said it would cost €2 more I wouldn't have had a problem paying it, but when they say no extra I will not pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Mine does aswell.

The standalone charge is when you don't have tv with them

i was paying €6 extra a month for this and now i see it's €8

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Just had a call from UPC now saying they are are still looking into the problem. I think it is a contention issue for me as now in the morning etc I am getting 13Mbps etc but come peak time it goes down as low as 1.19Mbps sometimes and averages around 3.5 or 4Mbps.
    Suppose if a lot of people in my area upgraded, that could have used all the available bandwidth and they might need to add more. Hopefully they get it sorted soon and am waiting til 21st to see my bill as I am not paying €2 extra for the standalone charge on point of principle. If they had said it would cost €2 more I wouldn't have had a problem paying it, but when they say no extra I will not pay it.

Yea ill be keeping an eye on my bill too they never mentioned €2 extra to

me either

Ref: 723110

Dear Bryan Smyth,

Thank you for your email. Please note that Existing customer's will be automatically migrated to New Speeds from 4th March. In the interim, customers can proactively opt-in to the New Fibre Power Broadband speeds in advance of automatic migration via the website form. www.upc.ie/fasterbroadband.

As you are currently subscribed to 10 Mb speed, So you will be automatically.changed to 15Mb speed from 4th March 2010. For details on all of Chorus ntl products and prices please visit www.upc.ie

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us on customer.support@upc.ie

Kind regards,
    Jomon

Chorus ntl Customer Support Team

No mention of extra costs there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bryaner wrote: »
    The standalone charge is when you don't have tv with them

i was paying €6 extra a month for this and now i see it's €8

Did they inform you of this increase? If not have you queried it with them?

I understand that by upgrading to the new higher speed I am entering into a new 12 month contract. Increases from 3Mb to 5Mb, 10Mb to 15Mb, and 20Mb to 30Mb will not incur any extra costs. Speeds are subject to availability

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

But have they seperately informed customers that the stand alone charge has been increased?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

dub45 wrote: »
    But have they seperately informed customers that the stand alone charge has been increased?
    No, my understanding was there would be no increase in cost.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement