Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And has anyone queried this with them? For a company who has so many conditions for their customers they are free and easy with their own obligations!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A supposed page on price changes without any clear list - typical!!

http://www.upc.ie/about_us/Price_Changes/

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There was an increase in some of their TV and Digital packages since Jan 1st I know mine moved from 67 to 69p/m and when I questioned it I was told that line rental on phone had increased by €1 as this my basic select digital package from €20 to €21. That may explain the difference in the €2 for some of ye

Aquos76 wrote: »
    There was an increase in some of their TV and Digital packages since Jan 1st I know mine moved from 67 to 69p/m and when I questioned it I was told that line rental on phone had increased by €1 as this my basic select digital package from €20 to €21. That may explain the difference in the €2 for some of ye

But a customer should not have to explain it to other customers - have UPC actually notified customers of these changes? Or have they gone beyond such petty trifles?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niall0s

cbr900 wrote: »
    687540306.png

UPC techie arrived a while ago,in relation to my poor speed since upgrading,(20Mb to 30Mb)changed my modem to a Scientific Atlanta,however my upload speed has remained the same,according to him it must be an outside problem,so have to wait now for another visit:confused:

i have the exact same problem, download is ok but upload never goes above 1.6, been fobbed off and told there is nothing they can do about it without any explanation why :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

niall0s wrote: »
    i have the exact same problem, download is ok but upload never goes above 1.6, been fobbed off and told there is nothing they can do about it without any explanation why :mad:

I'm in the exact same situation. Download = fine, upload = crap. Fobbed off with something along the lines: "well it says up to 3Mb upload speeds". Well I mentioned to her that I had 1.3Mb Upload when on 20 Mb, now I'm on 30Mb and the Upload speed goes barely above 1Mb.
    688030963.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

chris2007 wrote: »
    Any one still experiencing slow speeds

I was pushing 27/28 mb but I've noticed that it's a bit sporadic at times. Currently only getting 9 mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Well I upgraded to 30meg from the 20 and since they sent the email confirming it was done ive had nothing but pain..... see my speed test tonight:

688045946.png

Basically each forum page is taking an age to open... ive rang them only to be given the usual crap of the technicians are all busy but will ring you back... they will no doubt ring when im in work.

To be honest UPC have been a pleasure to use for the most part considering the crap speed and service that other broadband providers in the country give for much more money but this is getting tiring....

Its worth noting my previous 20meg connection was perfect and consistently achieve 21megs on my Usenet connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I am finding a huge speed test difference between speedtest.net & http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

Try it out for yourselves. Magnet appears to provide me with far more accurate results. Could just be a glitch at speedtest.net though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

These are my results wireless.

Speedtest-Magnet.png
    688128941.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm on UPC 30Mb wireless for a week now, was previously getting 22mb d/l, 2.5 u/l on speedtest, tonight I've hovered between 2.5mb -> 4.8mb d/l and 1.5 u/l which is absolutely ****e. Tried calling them only to have them, after being on hold for an age, tell us that they were too busy to take the call and that someone would call us back.

I was previously on Eircom 7mb and never experienced such a drop in d/l speed, and if UPC don't sort this out I'll be back to Eircom within a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

Well, I'd be happy, you're getting the guts of a low BB package ABOVE what you're meant to be getting (d/l speed)!

So I pay for 3mb upload and only receive maybe 1mb,sometimes even less for 42 euro pm,I dont think so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

i have to agree, i'm on 15mb with upc however the max i ever seen is 12Mb download and 1.3Mb upload. That is usually at 7AM. Evenings are mostly between 2Mb up to 8Mb download.

However when i was with eircom i had consistant 7Mb no matter what time of the day it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

cbr900 wrote: »
    So I pay for 3mb upload and only receive maybe 1mb,sometimes even less for 42 euro pm,I dont think so!

Well I would be using the D/L a LOT more than u/l, so I guess it wouldn;t really effect me all that much. But then, thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

I got a callback from UPC today to say they were 'aware' of the issue and that they were working on it. Was on 20Mb and got nice 18Mb down and 1Mb up and quite happy, since the 'upgrade' I'm getting little over 10Mb down and 600K up.

How did they get this so wrong? Was it tested at all?
    Serious questions need to be asked of the person who's project this was? All other upgrades I have had from UPC went ok, whats the fundamental difference from the previous upgrade going from 10Mb-->20Mb and this upgrade 20Mb-->30Mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I was told by upc that my broadband would be fixed by the 19th of Jan 3 weeks ago. I rang upc yesterday to say my broadband hadn't improved and they told me that it was fixed on the 12th. I got a call from UPC this morning to say it was fixed on the 18th and then after my call it was fixed on the 19th. I logged into my pc from the office and did a speed test and was getting 25Mb/s at 11:30 this morning. I've just done another speed test and find that my speeds are crap yet again!! :mad:

I'll be on to them yet again tomorrow!

688934278.png

It gets worse, thankfully I'm heading out for the night!

688940668.png

PS: I wonder how much bandwidth gets wasted doing all these speed checks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

GigaByte wrote: »
    I was told by upc that my broadband would be fixed by the 19th of Jan 3 weeks ago. I rang upc yesterday to say my broadband hadn't improved and they told me that it was fixed on the 12th. I got a call from UPC this morning to say it was fixed on the 18th and then after my call it was fixed on the 19th. I logged into my pc from the office and did a speed test and was getting 25Mb/s at 11:30 this morning. I've just done another speed test and find that my speeds are crap yet again!! :mad:

688934278.png

Seeing the same thing in Celbridge with my 30Mb/s connection. Fine this morning, & everyday in the early hours (approx 1am - 9am), each evening though, it deteriorates badly. Same pattern each day. I was fine when on the 20Mb/s speed. Each evening now I can expect to get between 5Mb/s - 12Mb/s & my upload is usually ok (according to Magnet Speedtests) being around 2.7Mb/s on average.

Bit of a pain at present - obviously they have some major teething issues at present, even if they are not being very upfront about it.

I got a callback from UPC today to say they were 'aware' of the issue and that they were working on it. Was on 20Mb and got nice 18Mb down and 1Mb up and quite happy, since the 'upgrade' I'm getting little over 10Mb down and 600K up.

How did they get this so wrong? Was it tested at all?
    Serious questions need to be asked of the person who's project this was?
    All other upgrades I have had from UPC went ok, whats the fundamental difference from the previous upgrade going from 10Mb-->20Mb and this upgrade 20Mb-->30Mb?

I wondered about this aspect too. This is a 'prestige' product which is seriously worsening the performance of the product. I often wonder if UPC care about anything beyond making money. Surely to launch a product like this some in depth testing would be essential. I am sure they would have had no problem getting some volunteers in each area. They must know what areas have contention consistently for example and could have given those extra attention (then again we are talking about UPC so maybe they dont!)

But one or two volunteers in each area for a month or so would surely have shown up these issues quite quickly? As it is the customers are being used as guinea pigs.

As I have pointed out before I cant imagine UPC being tolerant of customers who cant 'deliver' the subscriptions every month yet UPC not only are not delivering but are actually worsening the product for customers.

It really is mindboggling incompetence to launch a product with such a shambolic performance.

And they still continue on their site to show bb as being available to me when it isn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

I am currently on DSL 7Mb with UTV and haven't any problems but seeing the latest UPC offering am seriously considering moving to 30Mb for about €10 per month more than I am paying. I came in here to ask a question about the router but seeing this thread makes me wonder whether I should move to UPC at all.

Anyway, my question is as follows: When UPC instal the router I assume they will place it alongside my television which is downstairs at the front of the house. I have a PC upstairs which is currently connected by phone cable going up the stairs from the phone point in the hall. If UPC instal the router downstairs do I need to connect the PC to it once to set up a wireless connection? This would be seriously problematic as the PC is very much fixed in place and it would be a nightmare to take it downstairs and unwire everything. If the router is connected wirelessly to a laptop can I then open the router's control panel and broadcast and then pick up the wireless signal on the PC upstairs using a dongle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anyway, my question is as follows:

............. If UPC instal the router downstairs do I need to connect the PC to it once to set up a wireless connection?

No
    This would be seriously problematic as the PC is very much fixed in place and it would be a nightmare to take it downstairs and unwire everything. If the router is connected wirelessly to a laptop can I then open the router's control panel and broadcast and then pick up the wireless signal on the PC upstairs using a dongle.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you install a wireless dongle on the pc once it is installed the pc should see any wireless networks that are around and be able to join them. You can see up your preferences for security and network name via the laptop if you wish.

I know this is all frustrating as hell, believe im getting really annoyed. But lets face it guys... UPC IS the best isp in ireland, fine they do have glitches from time to time but at least when they say they will ring you back they DO.

I would rather burn my money then give it to that shower eircom for a substandard product... the only isp that comes close to upc is magnet who have totally rubbish coverage!

On my issue UPC rang back and are sending an engineer to either replace the modem or find the route of the low signal im getting... and he will be here within the week.

• Advertisement

fionny wrote: »
    I know this is all frustrating as hell, believe im getting really annoyed. But lets face it guys... UPC IS the best isp in ireland, fine they do have glitches from time to time but at least when they say they will ring you back they DO.

I would rather burn my money then give it to that shower eircom for a substandard product... the only isp that comes close to upc is magnet who have totally rubbish coverage!

On my issue UPC rang back and are sending an engineer to either replace the modem or find the route of the low signal im getting... and he will be here within the week.

What do you base your claim on that they are the best isp in Ireland? for example Smart have consistently given their customers excellent service over the years. For many people Eircom supply an excellent service as is often acknowledged on here.

UPC have consistently offered appalling customer service - they push people into the dd system and extract considerable amounts of money when people miss the dd payment. Without any shred of integrity they do not inform people of these charges when they are signing up for the dd system.

There are many charges in their terms and conditions which they reserve the right to impose on customers which are not detailed anywhere.

They have a clause in their terms and conditions which absolves them of all obligations to their customers while still requiring the customer to pay irrespective of whether or not they are receiving the service.

And consistently there have been areas where customers got lousy service no matter how often they rang. Not to mention the unnecessary appointmentsts with 'engineers' which required time off work and the engineers not turning up! And so on and so on.:rolleyes:

I base my statement on overall quality of service, speed and price. I base it on the fact that you dont have to pay line rental before you receive anything else at all.

I base it on the fact that eircom charge a ridciulous amount of money to connect a house to the lines for the first time even if the wiring already is there....

I base it on the fact that to get connected in the first place takes over a month!

I base it on the fact that UPC consistently improve their service and their speeds and the fact they are willing to admit when they are at fault.

I base it on their ever improving attitude toward people as a whole.

I base it on the fact that if i move and UPC isnt available where im going i can close the account for free. Or i can buy out for a fair price of 150e at any time as opposed to the unfair demands of eircom for 500e worth of line rental to close an account due to a move.

I will say to you each to their own but despite this hiccup with their service overall i think they are fecken brilliant at the broadband side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Have to say I agree with fionny as well. Am prepared to put up with this hiccup as everything else has been very good and even exceeded my expectations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I don't recall a speed upgrade going well with any ISP. UPC / Eircom have always had problems in the past. I'm getting about 21 Mbps (30 Mbps connection) most of the time, my upload is normally about 2.7. This is fine. I don't see anyone else offering anything similar (can't get Magnet FTTH).

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

The logical conclusion is that 15meg is best value for money assuming the network cappacity is 12-20meg max even on the 30meg package.

Presume the 15meg is 10-14meg realistically.. Worth saving on the monthly fee!
    Anyway - I'm giving 15mb a shot and will report back when I've got it installed..

Vodafone DSL has gone to the dogs since auto-moved from BT and I've just realised how drastically more expensive it is compared to UPC's higher speed products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hey I've been chasing them too for two weeks, the story I'm getting is this an known issue in Lucan and they are working to resolve it, when you ring them tomorrow tell them you want a major discount credit off your account for the crap speeds, they will readily agree to this just keep a tab of your calls with them and when you started. I'm in the finnstown area of Lucan where abouts are u?

GigaByte wrote: »

688934278.png

It gets worse, thankfully I'm heading out for the night!

688940668.png

PS: I wonder how much bandwidth gets wasted doing all these speed checks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Emerson wrote: »
    The logical conclusion is that 15meg is best value for money assuming the network cappacity is 12-20meg max even on the 30meg package.

Presume the 15meg is 10-14meg realistically.. Worth saving on the monthly fee!
    Anyway - I'm giving 15mb a shot and will report back when I've got it installed..

Vodafone DSL has gone to the dogs since auto-moved from BT and I've just realised how drastically more expensive it is compared to UPC's higher speed products

Thinking the same myself. And the fact that i dont get the same as the other Vodafone product for the same money. Not getting:
    # Free anytime local & national calls
    # 200 anytime minutes free to your favourite three Vodafone Mobiles

Would ye have to pay a cancellation fee to Vodafone though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

this is a joke. My 10mb was fine before this "upgrade". Its crawling now for the last week, averaging 1-3mb on speedtest.net. Have to refresh most pages 4 or 5 times before theyll load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

UPC have increased the standalone charge even for existing customers without notification.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64120746#post64120746

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

4 years and never had a problem. upped to 30 meg and getting full speed.
    id agree with them being the best isp Ireland. maybe even one of the best in the UK and Ireland

just remember that the netgear routers that they send out dont work faster than about 10meg wirelessly

have to get myself a long ethernet cable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement