Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Not true. I have the same Netgear router and I am constantly hitting more than 14meg download speed on a 15meg line.

Although you are right about UPC, within last 5 years I have had few problem but 95% of the time it has worked fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

L5 wrote: »
    this is a joke. My 10mb was fine before this "upgrade". Its crawling now for the last week, averaging 1-3mb on speedtest.net. Have to refresh most pages 4 or 5 times before theyll load.

Consider yourself lucky that you have a connection. When I filled out the upgrade form my connection died within a few hours. I looked through the modem logs and could see it could get a connection but was unable to get an ip address so it looked like the mac address of the modem needed to be registered again. I spoke to three of their customer support people including one on the premium support line. All of them refused to accept that the mac address just needed to be registered, instead telling me that it was probably the signal to noise ratio on the line.

I had to wait 2 weeks without phone or internet for them to send out a technician who then registered the mac address over the phone with the office :mad:

It seems they had two other mac addresses on file neither of which was the correct one. The only thing I could think of was that I got the phone upgrade a while back and even though the mac address was registered then, they must've kept the address for the old modem stored someplace else and it was restored during the upgrade process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Hey I've been chasing them too for two weeks, the story I'm getting is this an known issue in Lucan and they are working to resolve it, when you ring them tomorrow tell them you want a major discount credit off your account for the crap speeds, they will readily agree to this just keep a tab of your calls with them and when you started. I'm in the finnstown area of Lucan where abouts are u?

I’m in the Haydens Park area of Lucan and I was told that there was a known issue in Lucan as well. I was also told it was logged as fixed on the 12th and on the 18th and on the 19th, well it’s still not fixed! I’ve checked my speedtest.net logs and you can see that there’s been no improvement at all. No improvement on any of those dates. No improvement since I started to run the speed checks from the 1 of January. Coincidently enough those dates are the same date’s that I have been on the phone to them, so they must be sending engineers out to fix the problem after I’ve spoken to them or they’re lying to me.

You can check your speed test logs on speedtest.net by clicking the link “Your Results” in the top righthand corner of their website. You should run as many speed tests as you can throughout the day, every day, so the next time you ring them up and they tell you it was fixed on “insert date here” you can check your log and tell them there was no change at all. Make sure you download the csv copy of your speed checks because once your IP address changes you’ll lose your results from speedtest.net. I wouldn’t be surprised if very soon you start seeing your IP addresses changing all the time. UPC won’t want you having a nice record of your speed tests.

Also if you know anyone who has UPC get them to check their speeds at different times during the day. I’ve tried with my sister here in Lucan and she’s got the same problem. My girlfriend in Booterstown has the same problem as well. They would never have known there was an issue as they haven’t a clue what they should be looking at. I think UPC have a very serious problem and its far more wide speard than anyone thinks!

Here's my 30Mb/s speed test at 11:37pm
    691499373.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

my 15 Mbps line at the moment

691510360.png

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Finally got UPC broadband yesterday after years of waiting for the cables to be upgraded in my area (SE Dublin).

Speed tests to Digiweb server on Vodafone DSL 8meg package averaging 2.8mbit - Ping ~110ms
    whilst on UPC 12.8-14.2mbs.. Ping is about 15ms

MUCH better as you can see.. However I seem to have a problem with page "could not be displayed" periodically showing and need to refresh. grrr. Nothings ever completely flawless. Any suggestions?

Getting about 1.7mByte per second on Linux download off Dublin server.

• Advertisement

Latest speed test 0:33 15mb UPC 691537709.png

Packet loss is very high despite good speed and ping. Perhaps this is why I'm getting periodic problems loading pages?
    8566490.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Emerson wrote: »
    Packet loss is very high despite good speed and ping. Perhaps this is why I'm getting periodic problems loading pages?
    8566490.png
    Have you disabled the firewall on the router. That usually sorts it.

Have only got connection yesterday so have not tried.. does this leave me open to any security issues even if there are s/w firewalls on all connected machines?

IP Flood Detection - Disabled this and got this result :-) :

8567063.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sometimes you have to turn the modem off/on and problems disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

3.10am here in Lucan and this is the best speed you can get during a 24hour period I only check with Magnet as speedtest is a bit erratic at times download 19248kbps 2257kbps, guarentee when I check it tomorrow afternoon it will be back down under 5mb.

4.05am Clondalkin
    691663570.png

compared to 11.55pm

691510360.png

And it has been this way since the upgrade, I am sure it is contention and UPC don't have the capacity yet. Looks like a lot of us are being fobbed off with bulls**t. Someone should set up a petition or web page for people to sign etc and have it forwarded to UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭MarkN

Seems to be location based... I hit over 20MB even on wifi and pretty much 30MB with the cable. I live in the city centre.

It can be 15MB or so on the wifi at busy times but never, ever below 15MB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    4.05am Clondalkin
    691663570.png

compared to 11.55pm

691510360.png

And it has been this way since the upgrade, I am sure it is contention and UPC don't have the capacity yet. Looks like a lot of us are being fobbed off with bulls**t. Someone should set up a petition or web page for people to sign etc and have it forwarded to UPC.

But surely if it was a contention problem you would have suffered that before the upgrade. Simply upgrading the speed doesnt mean that loads of people are instantly and consistently download more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Agreed I think there is a lot more to this than contention. Its a pity that UPC are not more upfront about the actual issue causing all the problems.

dub45 wrote: »
    But surely if it was a contention problem you would have suffered that before the upgrade. Simply upgrading the speed doesnt mean that loads of people are instantly and consistently download more?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Tony wrote: »
    Agreed I think there is a lot more to this than contention. Its a pity that UPC are not more upfront about the actual issue causing all the problems.

Sounds l ike someone in UPC forgot to RTFM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Since a few of us on the new 30Mbps service, seem to be having similar symptoms at about the same times during the day - there's a pattern (at least a time of day pattern).

I was fine when I had the 20Mbps package for approx 1 year, yet almost immediately after being 'upgraded' to the new 30Mbps package, I'm getting massive & regularly repeatable reduced DL speeds as the day progresses into evening time - peaking around 9pm when I can only seem to get between 5Mbps & 8 Mbps DL (but my UL seems fairly ok throughout the day at about 2.6/2.7Mbps).

UPC told me my Transmit Power Level of my modem is probably my cause. Its 56.0 dBmv, my Receive Power Level is 0.0 dBmv.

I'd be grateful if a few people could report back what their Receive Power Level & Transmit Power Level is of their modems please ? I've started to monitor that throughout the day but I haven't noticed it changing between when I can get the full speeds (typically 2am - 7am) to when I can only get the really slower speeds.

Just go to 192.168.100.1 & have a look at that web page to get the modem stats.

I'm just wondering if there is any truth in what UPC have been telling me - eg does everyone who has started having these reduced DL speed in the evening problems all also have Transmit Power Levels on the high side etc. ?

The last thing I want to do is let UPC drill a new hole in the side of my house to connect a new cable into a new BroadBand point (as they say this will help reduce the Transmit Power Level of my modem to a better / lower level) & then find out I still have these issues. (The missus would kill me for more defacing of the house if this issue still existed afterwards!)

Any feedback on peoples modem power levels would be appreciated please if people can spare a few mins to report back?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

So I'm guessing this is an issue for most then? I thought it was just me but I haven't gone above 20mb since the day they upgraded me to 30. It's as if they downgraded me to 20mb again. Only getting 10mb at the moment

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if there is any truth in what UPC have been telling me - eg does everyone who has started having these reduced DL speed in the evening problems all also have Transmit Power Levels on the high side etc. ?

My 30Mb/s levels and speed test

Current Levels:
    Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.0 dBmV
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.2 dBmV

Current Speed:
    692112947.png

• Advertisement

Anita Blow wrote: »
    So I'm guessing this is an issue for most then? I thought it was just me but I haven't gone above 20mb since the day they upgraded me to 30. It's as if they downgraded me to 20mb again. Only getting 10mb at the moment

Make sure you let UPC know you're having a problem and get anyone else you know who has UPC to check there speeds and if there's a problem get them to ring UPC or it won't get fixed.

15Mbps speed tests

692118864.png

Power levels
    Receive Power Level
    7.9 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level
    48.0 dBmV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

dub45 wrote: »
    Sounds l ike someone in UPC forgot to RTFM!

:D
    bonoman66 wrote: »
    I'd be grateful if a few people could report back what their Receive Power Level & Transmit Power Level is of their modems please ?

Receive Power Level
    1.5 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    58.0 dBmV

It does not vary and I honestly think this is a smokescreen on UPC's behalf

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SonicTitan

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    15Mbps speed tests

692118864.png

Power levels
    Receive Power Level
    7.9 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level
    48.0 dBmV

I'm in Clondalkin to on a 15mg package. Big difference.

692134810.png

SonicTitan wrote: »
    I'm in Clondalkin to on a 15mg package. Big difference.

692134810.png

Mine was fine for about 4-5 days after the upgrade, then all of a sudden it went. It is fine early morning 3am to 12pm etc but then goes to the dogs, the lowest speedtest I got so far 1.09Mbps down and .17Mbps up, but it averages out at around 3.5-4Mbps peak times now.

anyone getting these crap speeds after the upgrade make sure you get a case reference from UPC also say you want credit on your account as why should you be paying for broadband max when in a lot of cases your getting speeds close to their minimum package, they've agreed to credit my account for the downtime until they get this speed issue sorted. Also note the time you first raised this issue.

My Modem Upstrem transmit power level is 54.7dBmV and downstream -3.8dBmV

Wow lads have you noticed we are all roughly the same speeds on speedtest?

692181582.png

Ok so spent the last half hour awaiting to get to talk to tech support apparantly there is a big meeting on monday in UPC with their network people on a fix time to address this issue the girl makes out that its down to noise issue to the local node, she wasn't buying that it was a contention issue and I also advised her a lot of people were having similar issues in the lucan area and across the city, she said they were putting a plan in place on Monday and which would include fix time resolution, and credit to the affected customers and we should all be getting phone calls starting on monday to give us updates, I also mentioned people were keeping track of their speed issues via this forum and she said that UPC "monitor" boards.ie as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

GigaByte wrote: »
    My 30Mb/s levels and speed test

Current Levels:
    Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.0 dBmV
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.2 dBmV

Current Speed:
    692112947.png
    Can someone please give me a 2min lesson on upstream and downstream power levels:
    what's a "good level"
    how does it have a bearing on speeds.

Ta
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

I'm on the 30mb upgrade but my speeds only around 12-14mbs, not cool was faster when i had the 20mb package!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

30mbs line at 17.10

692239454.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement