Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    speed test 9.13 am Clondalkin area 15Mbps

692880614.png

Still convinced it has to be contention in my area as well as I am getting almost perfect speeds at off peak times and then terrible speeds for the majority of the day.
    and now at 12.05 the decline starts.......

692997225.png
    14.25 as it gets lower, just wait til everyone gets up after last night out or finishes their Sunday dinners and we'll be back to about 3.5 Mbps

693106296.png
    didn't have to wait long

693111004.png

and now at 17:45

693297541.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ok so I am seeing alot of mention about this power output input stuff, never came across if before.

Me and my father arnt overly impressed with our speeds, but we are mostly online gamers and our pings are fantastic since the upgrade so we cant complain too much.

We are downloading files relatively quickly. But we arnt rocking close to the 30mb mark.

693315245.png

At late night early mornings things are alot better,so I'm just putitng it down to contention, but when I thought back I wasnt experiencing this much contention before the upgrade.

We are very much taking this as a beta test, since the package doesnt roll free until March, and that signing a neew contract when we did will hold us some good bargaining power in the future should we run into any trouble.

But in the short term , is there anything people have done to receive any solutions.

I'm weary to call any tech to the house or even ring UPC themselves because I fear of just getting smokescreen anwsers, and I also feel they have got enough calls in relation to it that my extra call wont get anything sorted any faster.

They should really work on their press department, and have releases of information for customers sighting exactly whats causing these problems, so we can stop freaking out.

I'd be much more secure if a UPC pr dude came out and said the issue is "x" and the solution is "y" and heres a rough time frame, then getting second and third hand information from here : /

The more people ring UPC and log a fault/complaint the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The more people ring UPC and log a fault/complaint the better.

Perhaps but if they have not come clean so far its hard to imagine this will have any impact since they dont seem to be that bothered with the issue.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

TheDoc wrote: »
    ok so I am seeing alot of mention about this power output input stuff, never came across if before.

I'm weary to call any tech to the house or even ring UPC themselves because I fear of just getting smokescreen anwsers, and I also feel they have got enough calls in relation to it that my extra call wont get anything sorted any faster.

Power levels: aren't really relevant to these issues. From all the people with low speeds posting their power levels, only one person actually has a problem there.

I urge everyone reading this who has poor speeds to contact UPC and complain - I was thinking of doing nothing myself (especially as my minimum speed is a more acceptable 15Mbit), but unless we all call and voice our discontent then they won't do anything about it. 500 posts on this thread - if they get 500 calls, they might notice. Likewise, I'll be complaining tomorrow about the extra €2 they have put on the bill despite telling me there was no price change.

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    Perhaps but if they have not come clean so far its hard to imagine this will have any impact since they dont seem to be that bothered with the issue.

Well I certainly plan to bother them! Of course, they're within their rights of 17:1 contention, but let's be honest, if it became the public opinion that 30Mbit on UPC is really 1.76Mbit then they'd be bothered, as Eircom 3Mbit is cheaper!

Too many consumers in this country just put up and shut up when faced with substandard service... I'm under no illusion that my one call on its own will make a blind bit of difference, but by that argument, why bother voting if Fianna Fail are just going to get elected anyway?

Yes anyone reading this thread who is having problems and has not called UPC yet please do so. Also regards in the increase in the standalone charge, without notification.
    If you don't call them they will assume you don't have a problem and there is nothing to fix.

And now my speed is the following which is 22% of what I should be getting, maybe I'll just pay them 22% of my bill

693344529.png

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

No problems here on 15mb SE Dublin
    693350429.png

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Would be pissed off if paying for 30 meg service and getting less than that though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Yes anyone reading this thread who is having problems and has not called UPC yet please do so. Also regards in the increase in the standalone charge, without notification.
    If you don't call them they will assume you don't have a problem and there is nothing to fix.

And now my speed is the following which is 22% of what I should be getting, maybe I'll just pay them 22% of my bill

693344529.png

+1.

And mention your speeds are fine off peak , it's contention !

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstand my point, there has been to date a great deal of complaints made and so far they have simply either fudged the response or try to ignore the issue.

I'm not advocating we should put up and shut up, i've lodged a fault report myself. I just dont see the could'nt care less culture of upc changing anythime soon.

the_law wrote: »
    Well I certainly plan to bother them! Of course, they're within their rights of 17:1 contention, but let's be honest, if it became the public opinion that 30Mbit on UPC is really 1.76Mbit then they'd be bothered, as Eircom 3Mbit is cheaper!

Too many consumers in this country just put up and shut up when faced with substandard service... I'm under no illusion that my one call on its own will make a blind bit of difference, but by that argument, why bother voting if Fianna Fail are just going to get elected anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Heres a result wired to the router

693365450.png

And wireless next to the router

693369981.png

Tony wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand my point, there has been to date a great deal of complaints made and so far they have simply either fudged the response or try to ignore the issue.

I'm not advocating we should put up and shut up, i've lodged a fault report myself. I just dont see the could'nt care less culture of upc changing anythime soon.

I know - and although I don't see that culture changing either, it's worth doing.

now am down to this, get faster speeds on my nokia n95 and O2 data add on

693376692.png

I phoned tech support again thurday evening but they were up the walls so i got a call back friday morning, the chap on the phone went through the usual story of switch off router and back on again, twice in fact, all the while i was trying to tell him that in my honest opinion i felt that my line is suffering from terrible contention.

To which he said that he cant see no contention in our area and that we were not even at 85% capacity, what ever that means. i was explaining to him that if i have the laptop switched on before midday i'll most likely be getting nice speedtest results but over the course of the day it just goes downhill pretty quickly and come late in the evening i would be lucky to get 7 or 8mb and that the speeds dont pick up until well after 3 or 4am.

He told me that he could see i had a bad line signal and that he would get an engineer to me this tuesday to which i promptly replied that i just had an engineer at my home the friday before and he gave my line a perfect reading of 7 or something like that and he told me it was fine.

Tech support dude then said "oh it seems now that you have some sort of CCR issues on your line" or something to that effect and that the engineer will sort it once and for all tuesday.

I told them that the engineer needs to go outside on the pavement and get down into the manhole and check my line or the particular tap or such that my line connects into and make sure theirs no faults or anything there and to switch my line over to a healthy connection or up the power levels or bandwidth there.

I live in hope :rolleyes:

Sounds like more bullsh**t to me. First your signal is bad, until you tell engineer said it was fine, then all of a sudden it is something else???? Very likely...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Iv just been charged nearly €2 extra for the upgrade

that aint on and if they don't sort it ill be canceling my

DD

bryaner wrote: »

DD

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806693 have a look and make sure to complain, I have sent complaint to comreg, comsumer rights and UPC.

bryaner wrote: »

DD

Well when i spoke to the tech support dude i told him i'm more than patient enough to wait 2 or 3 more weeks for them to get the problem sorted and if they fail then they lose my custom, he was fairly sympathetic to me saying "oh yea your dead right" etc etc.

Another thing to is the lack of notification on their site of the existing problems is nonsense.

I'll wait until tuesday and see how it goes before looking or lining up another ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

John2009 wrote: »
    I phoned tech support again thurday evening but they were up the walls so i got a call back friday morning, the chap on the phone went through the usual story of switch off router and back on again, twice in fact, all the while i was trying to tell him that in my honest opinion i felt that my line is suffering from terrible contention.

To which he said that he cant see no contention in our area and that we were not even at 85% capacity, what ever that means. i was explaining to him that if i have the laptop switched on before midday i'll most likely be getting nice speedtest results but over the course of the day it just goes downhill pretty quickly and come late in the evening i would be lucky to get 7 or 8mb and that the speeds dont pick up until well after 3 or 4am.

He told me that he could see i had a bad line signal and that he would get an engineer to me this tuesday to which i promptly replied that i just had an engineer at my home the friday before and he gave my line a perfect reading of 7 or something like that and he told me it was fine.

Tech support dude then said "oh it seems now that you have some sort of CCR issues on your line" or something to that effect and that the engineer will sort it once and for all tuesday.

I told them that the engineer needs to go outside on the pavement and get down into the manhole and check my line or the particular tap or such that my line connects into and make sure theirs no faults or anything there and to switch my line over to a healthy connection or up the power levels or bandwidth there.

I live in hope :rolleyes:

CCR, is probably actually CRC, means you have issues with your line, 99% of the time a physical issue somewhere. Check all your connections look for loose ones, look for any mains cables near your line aswell, but its probably an issue with the line itself.

• Advertisement

, it's worth doing.

I agree. If there was a good/comparable altenative to UPC i'd have jumped ship long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ill be belling them tomorrow im sure ill listen to a load of muck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

I'll be giving them a buzz tomorrow myself, anyone else with problems really should call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

This is contention pure and simple.

I know there is a thread already but I ask the mods to keep this one open as it deals with the problems since the upgrade alone.

693435438.png PEAK TIME

OFF PEAK 692771797.png

Now no more bull we are not stupid this is lack of bandwidth this new threads sole purpose is to find out what UPC plans to do about it.

Please post your Peak and off peak results to make our case stronger.

I don't want to read about power levels or wireless these tests should be wired connections only please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

anyone here have upc in Kingsbry Maynooth?

Trying to get an answer from upc as to if its available in my area or when upgrades will be complete and so far nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

total bull alright.
    I was "upgraded" to 15mb. OffPeak I get about 10mb down, 1.5mb up

This was just now
    693474512.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm on the 15mb pack in limerick city

693476321.png

UPC are lying to all their customers 100% fact we can all see this is peak time contention.

Don't care about contracts but I am not going to put up with this for long.

693483464.png

This is useless for steaming youtube in higher quality or other video sites for that matter.

There small print will mean nothing when I refuse to pay them.

They got us into a new contract by saying this was an upgrade from 20meg.

We still have the sale of goods act and a product should be reasonably fit to so the job it was designed to do.

This connection is useless for most of the applications I use.

I have taken my wired router out of the loop.

693496456.png Better ping same rubbish connection.

693132747.png

Not as bad as some around here, but it can go up to
    693254804.png

so contention clearly an issue.

• Advertisement

693132747.png

Not as bad as some around here, but it can go up to
    693254804.png

so contention clearly an issue.

UPC are leading people up the garden path and they just lie to people when they ring up.

I have been told their is no contention in my area I know thats a lie.

It looks like a duck it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck IT'S A DUCK.

2i8hrls.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement