Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Yep Me too...

30Mbps Celbridge Area...

This morning...

692863873.png

Right now (1:10pm)

693044253.png

And now at 10pm

693533071.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

And now at 10pm

693533071.png

Same here.693541260.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

And now at 10pm

693533071.png

Noticed too that I seem to start to get a lot of jitter around the late hours but almost never during the day - usually 9pm onwards when my speed is very poor.

My line normally registers 0 packet loss, approx 8-10ms ping, & jitter of 0 to 3 ms but when my speed is bad around/after 9pm I usually observe the jitter shooting up...

8737274.png

Here was the ping / jitter result this morning..

8690463.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

15 Mbps line at 22.11

693544660.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If you read back on the last 10 paged alone ... It all points to CONTENTION !

If the speeds were slow at all hours I would say hardware or noise issues ,BUT perfect speeds at wee hours + slow speeds at peak hours = Contention .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

But why was contention not a factor before the upgrade? They hardly lowered the back bone capacity?

mixednuts wrote: »
    If you read back on the last 10 paged alone ... It all points to CONTENTION !

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    But why was contention not a factor before the upgrade? They hardly lowered the back bone capacity?

All the upgrade did was raised the allowed speeds on our modems.

Imagine available bandwidth is like a pie well we all just got bigger spoons.

At feeding time it harder to get a decent bite of the pie.

693561894.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murpha123

Ranicand2 wrote: »

693561894.png

ha ha ha now thats funny....... and very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If only the irish forced this too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8477572.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

With respect thats a poor analogy, the pie did not get smaller so you are you are saying we got bigger spoons and got less than when we had smaller spoons? :)

If contention was a problem than we should have seen variances in speed over the day yet most people here say they experienced fairly constant speeds before the upgrade. For example i had 18mb on average over the day and now it varies between 28 and 5 on a 30mb. I think there a some other issue than contention here.

Ranicand2 wrote: »

693561894.png

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Wireless 5 feet from the router

693601307.png

Speedtest result from Magnet site, wireless again

SpeedtestResult1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Speedtest results are pretty meaningless folks. The speedtest servers regularly suffer from heavy contention themselves.

The only real measure of your available bandwidth is being directly connected to the UPC modem with an ethernet cable, downloading a large file over a long enough time period from a server that won't be saturated, such as ftp://ftp.heanet.ie. Wifi results are completely meaningless. Speedtest results are almost as meaningless.

You will be deservedly ignored if all you're doing is pasting speedtest results and shouting 'homgz contentions are eating my tubes'.

Tony wrote: »
    With respect thats a poor analogy, the pie did not get smaller so you are you are saying we got bigger spoons and got less than when we had smaller spoons? :)

If contention was a problem than we should have seen variances in speed over the day yet most people here say they experienced fairly constant speeds before the upgrade. For example i had 18mb on average over the day and now it varies between 28 and 5 on a 30mb. I think there a some other issue than contention here.

More people able to suck up more of the bandwidth at once.

There may be other problems like reduced bandwidth but that bandwidth is contended at peak hours.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Speedtest results are pretty meaningless folks. The speedtest servers regularly suffer from heavy contention themselves.

The only real measure of your available bandwidth is downloading a large file over a long enough time period from a server that won't be saturated, such as ftp://ftp.heanet.ie.

You will be deservedly ignored if all you're doing is pasting speedtest results and shouting 'homgz contentions are eating my tubes'.

Funny when my speedtest result is low youtube and video sites run very bad yet when I get a high result videos run like a dream.

693615412.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Southern Road, just south of Cork City at midnight on the 10mbps package:

693614253.png

The only real measure of your available bandwidth is being directly connected to the UPC modem with an ethernet cable, downloading a large file over a long enough time period from a server that won't be saturated, such as ftp://ftp.heanet.ie. Wifi results are completely meaningless. Speedtest results are almost as meaningless.

I know speedtests are not set in stone but they do give an approximation. Especially with UPC as they get you to run speed test on speedtest.net themselves. And I don't get who is going to 'deservedly ignore us'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

They're not saturated to the extent that they can't max out a 10 or 20 megabit connection. For example, I get the same results from speedtest.net as from heanet as from giganews. Coincidence? I think not.

A quick result of my speed while downloading a file from Rapidshare premium on wireless again.

Rapidshare.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I know speedtests are not set in stone but they do give an approximation. Especially with UPC as they get you to run speed test on speedtest.net themselves. And I don't get who is going to 'deservedly ignore us'

693618647.png

mine have have always been bang on with NTL....

even on peek times. I think they are great. roll on 15 meg.

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    693618647.png

Thats the point all of ours were fine before the upgrade as well

gsxr1 wrote: »
    693618647.png

693615412.png

And here is was at peak 693561894.png
    15 rubbish get 30 like me

Look as people start to go to bed the speeds start to improve. 693623197.png

Forgot to mention in the above post that when the file started it went up to around 2300KB/sec max and minimum around 1600KB/sec for the first 2-3 minutes, then when i was going to take the snapshot it dropped bigtime to 1400KB/sec to minimum 800KB/sec.

The speeds are constantly up and down like a yoyo, it could be 2.1mb for a quick second then 1.8mb then 1.4mb and it'll climb back up to a high speed.

John2009 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention in the above post that when the file started it went up to around 2300KB/sec max and minimum around 1600KB/sec for the first 2-3 minutes, then when i was going to take the snapshot it dropped bigtime to 1400KB/sec to minimum 800KB/sec.

The speeds are constantly up and down like a yoyo, it could be 2.1mb for a quick second then 1.8mb then 1.4mb and it'll climb back up to a high speed.

Yes thats called contention speeds are up and down but the trend keeps going down at peak times and then up after midnight.

The connection may be up and down like waves however things start to get faster after midnight.

This is contention. 693626492.png

Last post it was 11meg but 9 or 11 was a lot better then the 3meg I sunk to tonight.

Hmm

693628998.png

Hmm

693628998.png

People that did not get the upgrade are getting better speeds then people who did.

UPC do not seem to have enough bandwidth to support high speeds.693629982.png

And for the poster earlier saying about saturation on the speedtest.net servers and not getting accurate results, heres what i'm getting with a random iso file from Heanet. wireless again

Heanet.png

Speed drops are to be expected at peak time but 3meg is taken the pee on a 30meg connection.693561894.png

Now we are past midnight things get back to normal over the next hour or so.

This is contention 693632831.png

Another hour or so I will be back to full speed when people have had enough PS3 and Xbox and gone to bed.

How can anybody deny this is contention?
    I find it amazing people can deny it.

And for the poster earlier saying about saturation on the speedtest.net servers and not getting accurate results, heres what i'm getting with a random iso file from Heanet. wireless again

Heanet.png

Which is an almost perfect match for your speedtest.

Look you can almost see the people going to bed.
    693634562.png

• Advertisement

I'm going to turn the wireless off on the router and connect back up directly with my ethernet cable, and turn off the router for 10 minutes go for a smoke come back and do a few more test's for you folks. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement