Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

did ye try using a server located outside Ireland (i'm on the 15mb pack)

694689926.png

694691502.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Tony wrote: »
    I received no letter about the increase

Nor did I or anyone else I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Tony wrote: »
    I received no letter about the increase

Nor me, this is the test result of magnet speedtest.net seems to

be a bit fuc ked up

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 13404 kbps (1675.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1460 kbps (182.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Guys have just put as a poll on this thread regarding notification of standalone charge increase, could everyone please vote and give us an idea if anyone got letters. Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806693

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

heres my 15mb connection, what a complete joke
    got booted out of any xbox live game i tried to play tonight cos my lag was so bad

694698980.png

• Advertisement

L5 wrote: »
    heres my 15mb connection, what a complete joke
    got booted out of any xbox live game i tried to play tonight cos my lag was so bad

694698980.png

Try this and give us a look

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

bryaner wrote: »

Download Speed: 14449 kbps (1806.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1361 kbps (170.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

bryaner wrote: »

Download Speed: 4681 kbps (585.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1067 kbps (133.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

still rubbish :mad:

L5 wrote: »
    Download Speed: 4681 kbps (585.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1067 kbps (133.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

still rubbish :mad:

Im getting a serious difference between speedtest.net and magnet

dont get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

694733153.png

And Magnet.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 8434 kbps (1054.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2790 kbps (348.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

So on top of bad contention we have a routing problem same rubbish as last year.

UPC is playing a very risky game by not coming out and admitting this.

Then UPC people are also lying going on about power rates.

Simple question UPC what the hell is wrong with all of our connections.

I don't mind waiting for a fix but Jesus come on and tell us all what the problem is.

For all we know this may never be fixed and I am not prepared to pay for a connection like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭MarkN

Download Speed: 18305 kbps (2288.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1518 kbps (189.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

dunworth1 wrote: »
    did ye try using a server located outside Ireland (i'm on the 15mb pack)

694689926.png

694691502.png

694767940.png
    694768450.png

Dublin gives me a better result and look it is after 1am and my speeds are starting to recover.

The power levels are better at 1am UPC:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:(

graphs of my speeds over the past week or so. up and down like a 'whores knickers'. depending on time of day.

picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=4802

picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=4803

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Getting pissed of at this stage.

I'm happy enough, my games run fine, downloads everything is fine.

But I signed a new contract,where as people in March wont, and I'm not getting anything close to what I can get.

I dont think its a contention problem, for me anyway, as there wasnt one before, and there shouldnt be ow.

Theres obviously a whopper ****up on their end they cant admit, but I'll be hopeful that it gets sorted out.

for all upcs bad press, I'm in dreamland compared to the speeds I was getting from Eircom.

I was on the 7mb package and was paying more then what I am now on the 30mb package.

And they increased my bill by a few euro, I got notified, and I dont really care. Everyone makes mistakes, everything doesnt always run smooth, and its not like they are ignoring the problem.

I well imagine it to be fixed in due time, since theres such a ruckus about it.

For me they are still the best isp around my area, giving me line quality that was dreamland a before I joined them, and being the loyal divil I am, I'll stick by them.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    graphs of my speeds over the past week or so. up and down like a 'whores knickers'. depending on time of day.

picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=4802

picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=4803

Download Speed: 3777 kbps (472.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2674 kbps (334.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

694782774.png

Now people say speed tests are not exact they are right Magnet and Speedtest.net show half a Mb in the difference.:rolleyes:

The speed tests back up how I am finding my connection.
    If I had the bandwidth I would be happy to watch a video of the 'whores knickers'.:D

TheDoc wrote: »
    Getting pissed of at this stage.

I'm happy enough, my games run fine, downloads everything is fine.

But I signed a new contract,where as people in March wont, and I'm not getting anything close to what I can get.

I dont think its a contention problem, for me anyway, as there wasnt one before, and there shouldnt be ow.

Theres obviously a whopper ****up on their end they cant admit, but I'll be hopeful that it gets sorted out.

for all upcs bad press, I'm in dreamland compared to the speeds I was getting from Eircom.

I was on the 7mb package and was paying more then what I am now on the 30mb package.

And they increased my bill by a few euro, I got notified, and I dont really care. Everyone makes mistakes, everything doesnt always run smooth, and its not like they are ignoring the problem.

I well imagine it to be fixed in due time, since theres such a ruckus about it.

For me they are still the best isp around my area, giving me line quality that was dreamland a before I joined them, and being the loyal divil I am, I'll stick by them.

There you go you imagine but like the rest of us you have no real idea because UPC deny there is a problem.

Now last night after 1am me speeds started to get better I think things are getting worse because tonight my speeds are still in the pits.
    694787640.png

Ranicand2 wrote: »
    There you go you imagine but like the rest of us you have no real idea because UPC deny there is a problem.

Now last night after 1am me speeds started to get better I think things are getting worse because tonight my speeds are still in the pits.
    694787640.png

I know it's bad but UPC have not denied there is a problem, they tell you they are aware there is a problem, but would be nice to get some notification from them with time frame for fix. Almost 3 weeks since I rang them so reckon it is time to ring them again tomorrow.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I know it's bad but UPC have not denied there is a problem, they tell you they are aware there is a problem, but would be nice to get some notification from them with time frame for fix. Almost 3 weeks since I rang them so reckon it is time to ring them again tomorrow.
    Different servers give different results on speed tests I know this can be put down to the servers and the distance but I am also convinced UPC is having traffic routing problems too.

My PS3 was suffering from lag tonight and that is a first.

They have admitted to me on the phone they are having problems but they continue to lie to others it depends on who answers the phone.

They have a web site they have a so called information channel why don't they update us all from those outlets?

Galway and Dublin giving much the same results at the same time I think speed tests are a close enough tool to judge our real speeds.

694799850.png

694800317.png

Edit people are finally going to bed.

So maybe we should all stop crying if we want to have real broadband all we have to do is wait till 2am.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Yay :p

694801510.png

• Advertisement

Thats some major difference in speed in the space of 2 - 3 hours

John2009 wrote: »
    Yay :p

694801510.png

694803250.png
    694803865.png

Playing with speed tests and posting on a message board I know it's sad but I had planned on playing some games on the PS3.

Ah sure if UPC are keeping an eye on the thread at least they have an idea how their customers are suffering from rough speeds at night

John2009 wrote: »
    Ah sure if UPC are keeping an eye on the thread at least they have an idea how their customers are suffering from rough speeds at night
    Oh yeah here is the Magnet test Download Speed: 22411 kbps (2801.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2694 kbps (336.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Within 2Mb or so of the other tests.

Yes tests are not exact but they are close enough.

694808178.png

694808794.png

I cant trust Magnet speedtest personally because at any time of the day or night i always seem to be only able to get around 11 or 12MB even tho speedtest.net could give me around 20 - 25MB

Moriarty wrote: »
    You're an idiot. But I wont hold that against you.

Speedtest results are entirely unreliable as an indication of maximum available bandwidth. They are at best worth no more than the equivalent of 'it feels [slow|fast]'.

What I'm saying is that it's a lot better if everyone gets more reliable information - then everyone can be clear if there's a problem, and it's harder for an operator to deny that there is a problem. People may even learn something along the way on how to improve their own broadband speeds, which can only be a good thing for all involved.

People like this repeat the mantra that we can not trust speed tests.

ISPs don't want us testing our connections.

I think the vast majority of tests in this thread have painted a clear and true picture of the state of the UPC network at different times of the day.

And a note to the DOC I noticed you thanked this person for that post SHAME ON YOU.

694814488.png

694815171.png

Two servers run by two different company's and they have been within half a Mb of each other all night as my connection has gone from 2.something to up to 26.something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This thread now stickied, for all UPC upgrade questions and issues.

jor el wrote: »
    This thread now stickied, for all UPC upgrade questions and issues.
    Thanks and sorry about the 2nd thread and 2nd account but my broadband is driving me nuts.

• Advertisement

I will try this again tonight.

695199252.png

695789716.png

Ok not bad better then last nights 2Mb.

I would happy enough if they could keep this up at peak times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement