Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gunty

Just had an NTL engineer to my house in Crumlin, tested my speed and says he cant fix it. He says the entire area needs to be updated and may take a few weeks. So now im stuck with broadband I cant use for the next few weeks never mind the last few weeks it hasnt been working either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

We will see :rolleyes:

"Hi,

I’ve been a UPC customer for some time now and have received at times what most would class as a good service. I upgraded to 20mb ultra BB last year and have contacted UPC many times with approximately 7 engineer home visits in an attempt to address BB speed fluctuations. Granted, the take up from the public has been significant and I cannot help but think that it is the influx of new customers that is primarily the cause of my ( and many others ) issues.

I will not go into detail but suffice to say, I am not alone. This is somewhat comforting. As stated, many phone calls and many visits and I must say that all staff I have dealt with have been very professional but I’m sure you will agree that a pleasant phone manner can only go so far.

I would like to draw your attention this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055764097&page=70 in the hope that you or one of your superiors will take a little time to view it. Granted, there are in excess of 1000 posts, mainly complaints, of the BB service falling short of what was agreed at time of contract initiation.

Also, you will see that one poster has made a reference to the thread being comparative to a similar discussion on Ice Broadband ! Other companies, o2 and Vodafone for example, have answered similar complaints by registering one of there employees on the site and allocation a time period each day, maybe 1-2 hrs, whereby that person can answer queries directly on the forum and perhaps issue some general updates relating to the service. I’m adamant that a similar offering from yourselves would go a long way to reassuring your customers that you have a valid interest in their plight and are committed to at least communicating to us directly.

I must assure you that this link will take you to a site that is as well established as any I have seen and among the members are without doubt some really smart and tech savvy individuals who are getting very frustrated with the general Customer Service responses to their queries.

I implore you to take a look, and if you cannot, to please forward this request to somebody who can potentially address this situation. Believe me when I say that it will do UPC absolutely no harm whatsoever to involve themselves in some form, in a transparent manner, on this forum.

Here’s hoping that this mail will fall on ears willing to help

Best Regards

UPC Customer "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Hopefully your email works dodzy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

GigaByte wrote: »
    Hopefully your email works dodzy. :)

You know yourself gig, if one does not try, one will never know. Will keep thread informed if I receive a reply ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

fionny wrote: »
    Engie showed up today and confirmed that there is a problem on my line with too much noise etc... its more then likely a flooded junction box thingy as all my area is underground. He said it should be fixed tomorrow.

He also pointed out that he himself has not seen 30megs on his line on the other side of the city (although my brother does). But it was his opinion that they jumped to 30 in too much of a hurry to test it....

Well they fixed the water fault in my area apparently (note through the door) however now the modem levels (if what ive been told is correct) is even worse!

Receive Power Level: 22.0 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level: 27.0 dBmV

I rang them the minute i saw this but as usual the tech desk was swamped and i got a Customer Service rep who arranged the usual call back.... lets hope they dont ring when im in work again (almost certain to happen though).

Why cant magnet get down to cork and start offering their fast services...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Looks like yesterday may have been a fluke, speeds heading down again now

696729397.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Guys i practically have no broadband here, just a connection with no speed what so ever, it took me about 10 minutes just to load speedtest.net and after picking the Dublin server after a 15 minute wait with the latency needle stuck half way only to get a Latency Test Error.

I tried a Heanet file and took forever to get it started and all i was getting was 12 - 17KB/sec. I cannot get any sort of speedtest results or half of websites i try and visit i get the dreaded 'time out' page.

At the moment i'm on hold here to UPC for the last 30mins or so waiting for tech support to bloody answer the phone. i'll give them 10 more minutes before i hang up and disconnect their setup and hook up to the family Eircon line.:mad::(

How's the speed this evening, for people who have been having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Speed tonight for me on a 15MB connection between 1MB and 3MB shocking....plus the match is kicking off soon that I watch via my xbox using Sky Player ! It's going to be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

696772261.png

on 15mbit in Dublin 8. At least I had a good night out of it last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

696774144.png

On the 30Mbit. It's never been this bad. On hold to UPC now, getting less than 500Kbits on heanet or rapidshare.

Will definitely be seeking a credit for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Not any better here, 30Mb line. :mad:

696782003.png

yeah mine has gone from about 12Mb at 6pm to 7Mb around 7pm and now down to under 5 at 7.50

696782046.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭timefora_J

I'm 30mb in waterford city. The past couple of nights have been worse than usual. I setup a download last night from around 11:30pm the file was 12gb and the average transfer rate was 2204kb\sec. Confirms really that they have over subscribed customers in my area

696771454.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trdublin

Dear UPC, if you don't check this giant thread, please do so. And if you are already checking it regularly, kindly put an official explanation on your web site.

[IMG][/img]696791459.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

In Dublin 5 here.
    On 15Mb BB.
    Was waiting for tech support for about one hour and had to give up, didn't even tell me what place in the queue i was...

696791207.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trdublin

Just an idea:

Does anyone have UPC's CEO's email address? If tech support does not care us, the CEO may do. Do you think if it is a good idea to send an uniform email to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

eh what the F**K

trdublin wrote: »
    Just an idea:

Does anyone have UPC's CEO's email address? If tech support does not care us, the CEO may do. Do you think if it is a good idea to send an uniform email to him?

firstname.surname@upc.ie ? :D

Just got off the phone with UPC - no resolution yet but they confirmed that a credit for service not received would be applied.

Case is still with their network department, the customer service guy was helpful and gave me some details of notes they had made on my account: basically they have 1) accepted that the node is contended and 2) realised that my signal strength etc. is fine. Which is good, as it saves me the bother of having to go through the motions of having a guy out to tell me my drop cable is fine.

You know, I've been pleasantly surprised by the fact that not one person has attempted to get me to restart my modem!

The ball is firmly in UPC's court - they need to add more downstream frequencies or segment the network, and fast...

• Advertisement

where abouts are you again the_law?

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    where abouts are you again the_law?

Rathmines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

30 mb Tallaght

696853197.png

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

thats a bit better..
    696857486.png
    15mb D8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

30 mb Greystones

696858081.png
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

My connection is totally un-useable, give up with the call to tech support after 50mins. I really havn't a clue what is up but i'll check again after 12ish tonight, have a wireless connection now from the family Eircon line and its grand getting a solid 6MB from a 7MB line so i'll be fine.

696891721.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

696896894.png

Should be 10 Mb

Done it again, bit better now.

696898658.png

spoke too soon.. back to the way it was

696930239.png

Mine is back to ok for peak time again

696943844.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

696943163.png

30meg better then the 2meg I was getting the other night.

UPC should answer this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement