Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

im on 20Mb connection here is my speed now :)
    697008010.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mixster

I bought a mobile phone in december for 189euro and when i went to the same shop last week i found that the phone is now 89euro.I asked the retailer if seeing as i am an existing customer could i get a refund of the 100euro and ill sign a new 12 month contract....he said feck off.
    Enjoy your new broadband speeds......they're 'free'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

mixster wrote: »
    I bought a mobile phone in december for 189euro and when i went to the same shop last week i found that the phone is now 89euro.I asked the retailer if seeing as i am an existing customer could i get a refund of the 100euro and ill sign a new 12 month contract....he said feck off.

Anyone able to put this into English for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Mixster, although you're blatantly trolling, I must respond.

Your analogy is fundamentally flawed. If we must compare to mobile phones, consider this:

You get a phone free of charge when you sign a 12 month contract at 48 euro a month, and get 200 minutes of calls free per month with it.

You pass the shop a few months later, and they offer you an increase to 300 minutes of calls per month at 'no extra charge' if you agree to extend your contract to be 12 months again. You agree.

You subsequently find out that your mobile operator is billing you for 50 euro and says that that's okay, because they put an ad in the paper to let you know, and they feel you should scan all the papers for information about your mobile service.

Your phone then becomes incapable of making more than 10 minutes of calls per month, because the mobile operator has oversold their service and don't have enough masts to carry all the calls at the same time.

Would you complain now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

My connection seems to operable again, it was out all day and all night. What could that have been because if UPC had a crew upgrading or fixing lines it certainly did feck all.

I must ring them tomorrow and find out what happened and see if they will compensate me for being without my beloved broadband??:p

697038976.png

Contention is a joke.

• Advertisement

Speeds tonight weren't too bad, up and down though ranging from 4Mb to 11Mb, now at 00.45

697045953.png

It's a pain to be honest these speeds, i'm seriously thinking of downgrading to the 15/1.5 package and see if that will suit my needs until they sort out our over-subscribed node.

697090779.png
    697091366.png
    :rolleyes:

Must go to bed all this stalking speedtest.net is giving me a pain in the head :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I bought a mobile phone in december for 189euro and when i went to the same shop last week i found that the phone is now 89euro.

You can be sure the shop was not run by UPC given recent price increases on their products of 20% and 33%.

Free? at the cost of a 12 month contract and for many people a significant disimprovement:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Not a great first post

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

In Galway city centre.. Ntl is giving me 10mb/s usually and at one point yesterday, the connection dropped to 4mb on a 30mb line. 42euro a month for something that struggles with youtube.

Since I have no faith in that being increased, should I be able to ring them and insist on a drop to 15mb and maintain the 10mb connection I have now?
    Or is that likely to drop to 5/7mb?

Not a happy camper. I was getting full 20mb before in another house but in this house, I'm getting a third of what I'm paying for. joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I've just upgraded and, having read through this topic, am wondering how long before this is a thing of the past?

Churchtown, D14.
    697369652.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In Galway city centre.. Ntl is giving me 10mb/s usually and at one point yesterday, the connection dropped to 4mb on a 30mb line. 42euro a month for something that struggles with youtube.

At 4Mbps, you should not be struggling on Youtube.
    Since I have no faith in that being increased, should I be able to ring them and insist on a drop to 15mb and maintain the 10mb connection I have now?

If you drop your max speed, you'd likely have the same (or worse) contention, which would mean you'd get even less again.

Thread merged with UPC mega thread too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Their service at peak time is terrible. And it looks that peak time is from about 5PM to 1AM
    I do wander if this is because they have over- subscribed per node or their upstream partner is a bottleneck. I would think its bit of both.
    Does anyone know who do they peer with?

jor el wrote: »
    At 4Mbps, you should not be struggling on Youtube.
    Well housemate was having youtube load too slow to play straight away and I checked speedtest between videos and it came back at 4mb..

Could the router be an issue? It's the Cisco one..

http://192.168.1.1 and disable the firewall, beforehand do a check on www.pingtest.net and see if there is a lot of packet loss, if there is, then disable the firewall in the router.

I'll check when i get home.. The Cisco router hardly has QoS? Like to split the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Alright guys. What is the verdict on the Fiber BB so far? I am with magnet at the moment. Happy enough but was thinking of changing for better upload speed as my line is restricted to 512mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Alright guys. What is the verdict on the Fiber BB so far? I am with magnet at the moment. Happy enough but was thinking of changing for better upload speed as my line is restricted to 512mb

I think you can see it here for yourself, Its great when it works but the problem is that most of the time it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Great wired today at lunch but my wireless is maxing out at 18Mb.

What kind of wireless speeds are people getting when their wired is perfect?

697519115.png

• Advertisement

Had another call to tech support just there to find out the situation with me having no broadband all day yesterday, turns out we had a fault at our node and their network division had to carry out some maintenance on it.

The person from tech support was ever so helpful with my queries and also got me a 20euro credit put onto my account for the sub-standard connection for the month of january, nice1 that was handy :D.

I also made a few enquiries about our node been over subscribed and the lack of speed for 3/4 of the day which i told her was un-acceptable, she agreed with me and put me on hold for a few minutes while she went to check out their spreadsheet for segmentation of lines due to be upgraded soon and came back saying that the particular node that i'm on is being done on week 7 of 2010, their just waiting on equipment to arrive at their Cork depot which is only up by Eircons Churchfield Exchange i think its their back-haul end or something

She said once that's done i'll definately have a notable increase in speeds at all times of the day and that will be their last upgrade until the big change over to DOCSIS 3 and to bare with them for the next 2 - 3 weeks so they can get that segmentation sorted on our local node.

So i'll wait and see and live in hope :D

NothingMan wrote: »
    Great wired today at lunch but my wireless is maxing out at 18Mb.

What kind of wireless speeds are people getting when their wired is perfect?

697519115.png

Nice. Where are you located? Anyone live in Dublin 2 and have fiber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Nice. Where are you located? Anyone live in Dublin 2 and have fiber?

I'm in the Tallaght. That speed is never like that. I just happen to be home for lunch today. I guarantee it will be down to 8 or 9Mbps later.

NothingMan wrote: »
    I'm in the Tallaght. That speed is never like that. I just happen to be home for lunch today. I guarantee it will be down to 8 or 9Mbps later.

MMM, mabye the new packages from NTL are a victim of their own success. Oversubscribed.
    Anyone know what the contention ratio is "supposed to be"?

MMM, mabye the new packages from NTL are a victim of their own success. Oversubscribed.
    Anyone know what the contention ratio is "supposed to be"?

Contention ratio is meant to be 17:1 but reckon at peaks times in some areas it seems to be 170:1 :)
    But I do reckon they are just very oversubscribed in a lot of areas.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Contention ratio is meant to be 17:1 but reckon at peaks times in some areas it seems to be 170:1 :)
    But I do reckon they are just very oversubscribed in a lot of areas.

Magnet seem to offer a much better service,1:1 & 50meg. Shame about the availability though.

Anyone know how THIS fiber network can have som many problems? When did they role it out and is it improving at all?

Apologies for all the questions, thinking of getting the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

697754209.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

697759700.png

Pretty good at the min but would the poxy upload mess me up in Gow2 ??

bryaner wrote: »
    697759700.png

Pretty good at the min but would the poxy upload mess me up in Gow2 ??

No, I can host games on 600k upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

No, I can host games on 600k upload.

Cheers just yesterday I shot a lad with the shotgun 4 times

and no joy i wonder would it have been the host?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement