Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not happy with my 30meg connection in Waterford,was rock solid prior to upgrade. Most disappointing thing is the slow upload speed. This is using a wireless N router.

697822759.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

So the engie rang me back again in work as usual, once again asked if he could call back after 6... told me no that they only call back up to 5pm. I explained that my levels of:

Receive Power Level

21.8 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level

27.0 dBmV

were all wrong but he insisted this wasnt the problem.... i told him about this thread and he said he knew about it..... he said i would be passed to the team investigating the problem, great.

Im thinking Matt Cooper, or Joe Duffy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

697861431.png

Thats a bit nuts for an 15meg connection at this hr of the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Like many of you i was really happy with my constant speed before this 'fiber power' crap came in.

Lately my speeds have been going between 15 and 19mb/s, but thats not the worst part, juring the peak times when i like to get a game or 2 of MW2 in i can't play the lag just gets worse and worse!! not too bad at night when i get most of my gaming in, but i hope they sort this crap out soon!!

EDIT: Just decided to have a game there to see if it had gone back to normal and it was just worse!! i couldn't even throw a grenade i was lagging so bad!!

This is the worst speedtest i have ever done!! on the 20mb.

698002939.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

allen175 wrote: »
    Like many of you i was really happy with my constant speed before this 'fiber power' crap came in.

Lately my speeds have been going between 15 and 19mb/s, but thats not the worst part, juring the peak times when i like to get a game or 2 of MW2 in i can't play the lag just gets worse and worse!! not too bad at night when i get most of my gaming in, but i hope they sort this crap out soon!!

EDIT: Just decided to have a game there to see if it had gone back to normal and it was just worse!! i couldn't even throw a grenade i was lagging so bad!!

This is the worst speedtest i have ever done!! on the 20mb.

698002939.png

Something else is causing the lag, you should have no problems whatsoever with those numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

698031381.png

This is my 15meg well good atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

my 15mb isn't great. I just wish someone from UPC would get back in touch and let me know what the f**k is happening. It's over 3 weeks since I called first time. Will have to call them again tomorrow.

698031846.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

bryaner wrote: »
    698031381.png

This is my 15meg well good atm

30meg the high ping is my wired router.

This speed at peek time I am really happy with no like the 2meg I got a few nights ago.:)
    698034876.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

30Mbps Celbridge area now...

698095271.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

If you are from UPC and your reading this (regardless of your managerial level) SHAME ON YOU !...we know your out there and reading boards.ie

You can see from the numerous posts of on going issues , that not once have you communicated any known problems with "fibre" upgrades to your customers , yet it is plain to see that the fibre upgrade project is bordering on a disaster.
    There are a lot of frustrated customers on boards.ie who pay their bills and keep their side of the contract , yet you fail to give basic communication which would be a minimal requirement from your side of same contract?

I for one will be recommending those boards.ie members who are having on going issues to contact COMREG ( excellent post here with instructions)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055812937
    If COMREG receive a large volume of complaints they the should take action.

I am still surprised that this issue has not hit the main stream media ,but I cannot see that been the case for too long , it's been over 3 weeks since problems occured yet you still offer fibre upgrades to known problematic areas ?

Even a post or update in this forum would be benificial , I am sure the boards.ie Mods would cater for this communication .

Yours dissatisfied .

M

• Advertisement

Just received a text message from UPC, says nothing except they are still looking into it. A text message???? And they say contact me soon? They said that 3 weeks ago, this is going beyond a joke at this stage.

"From Chorus/NTL: Regarding your recent call we are continuing to investigate the issue you have reported. We will contact you soon with an update. Thank you"

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Question guys. NTL told me I can receive the BB but not the phone service.

Would this mean I have an ancient connection that may effect the BB speed or what?
    I am surprised they cannot support VOIP? What is the deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    http://192.168.1.1 and disable the firewall, beforehand do a check on www.pingtest.net and see if there is a lot of packet loss, if there is, then disable the firewall in the router.
    That really isn't solving anything. The firewall dropping packets for pingtest is actually a good thing, it's doing precisely what it's supposed to do. Leaving the firewall permanently disabled due to this really isn't a particularly smart thing to do.

Blowfish wrote: »
    That really isn't solving anything. The firewall dropping packets for pingtest is actually a good thing, it's doing precisely what it's supposed to do. Leaving the firewall permanently disabled due to this really isn't a particularly smart thing to do.

It seems to be a common problem with the Cisco all in one from UPC. Your software firewall should be more than adequate.

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Question guys. NTL told me I can receive the BB but not the phone service.

Would this mean I have an ancient connection that may effect the BB speed or what?
    I am surprised they cannot support VOIP? What is the deal!

I have their broadband and they also said I couldn't get their phone service, however I use blueface for all my calls and have never had a problem with it over the connection. Also the broadband speed and connection were perfect (well before the upgrade anyway)

I've been thinking of changing over from Eircom to UPC for ages (I must have posted it a million times!) for the 15mb. Is there anyone that is getting their correct speed? I currently get 7mb with Eircom and it's been solid and reliable. But I also get TV from UPC. I'd hate to change for something inferior. Don't know what to do. Sorely tempted by the double speed increase and unlimited* download allowance (I know people say Eircom don't charge but I'm the cautious type)

I've been thinking of changing over from Eircom to UPC for ages (I must have posted it a million times!) for the 15mb. Is there anyone that is getting their correct speed? I currently get 7mb with Eircom and it's been solid and reliable. But I also get TV from UPC. I'd hate to change for something inferior. Don't know what to do. Sorely tempted by the double speed increase and unlimited* download allowance (I know people say Eircom don't charge but I'm the cautious type)

Speeds were fine before the upgrade, and don't forget unlimited for UPC means 250Gb limit download and upload combined. At the moment for me anyway speed is fine off peak get around 14 Mbps, but then it goes down to about 3-5 Mbps peak. They are still 'looking into it'

It seems to be a common problem with the Cisco all in one from UPC. Your software firewall should be more than adequate.
    But that's precisely my point, it's not actually a problem at all.

Basically all it's doing is perceiving pingtest.net as a ping flood attack and dropping the packets deliberately because of this. This is precisely what a decent firewall is supposed to do. The fact that it does this does not mean that it interferes or impedes your 'normal' traffic in any way.

As far as the software firewall is concerned, sure it protects your PC, but it doesn't prevent your router from being compromised.

If you want to run pingtest.net, disable the firewall, run the test and then re-enable it - don't leave it permanently off.

But that's precisely my point, it's not actually a problem at all.

Basically all it's doing is perceiving pingtest.net as a ping flood attack and dropping the packets deliberately because of this. This is precisely what a decent firewall is supposed to do. The fact that it does this, does not mean that it interferes or impedes your 'normal' traffic in any way.

Well if you read back through the posts here and on other threads, any guys who were having problems with gaming dropping and video stopping and starting, it was solved by disabling firewall in the router. There is no need for both a software and hardware firewall anyway. On the other equipment supplied by UPC, the Netgear etc, there is no firewall on the router at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

698590253.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Well if you read back through the posts here and on other threads, any guys who were having problems with gaming dropping and video stopping and starting, it was solved by disabling firewall in the router. There is no need for both a software and hardware firewall anyway. On the other equipment supplied by UPC, the Netgear etc, there is no firewall on the router at all

I only use the firewall in the Cisco router as well as one in a Linksys gateway which is connected through the WAN port, and don't use the Windows firewall at all.

Besides the fact that I don't trust the Windows firewall, (it is Windows after all..), I have a much better overview of what services are being hosted/forwarded to which PCs on the network by doing it on a router level.

By turning off the firewall in the router, you are basically leaving all PCs in a DMZ...

In relation to Youtube, I can't see how turning off a firewall would resolve streaming issues. Once a connection is made to the stream, it's just bandwidth and response time which would factor any stopping/starting I would think.. unless someone can explain otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Ranicand2 wrote: »
    698590253.png

Damn fast connection, roughly had the same result myself this morning. Nothing that can't be achieved during peak hours with a bit of multi-threading ;)

Almost perfect speeds here on the 15mb at the moment

698605019.png

Well if you read back through the posts here and on other threads, any guys who were having problems with gaming dropping and video stopping and starting, it was solved by disabling firewall in the router.
    Dropping ping packets when flooded wouldn't affect gaming as they are completely different types of traffic.
    There is no need for both a software and hardware firewall anyway.
    And what do you do if/when your PC gets compromised by a 0day and you now have zero protection? Plus a router can be compromised just as your PC can.

Disabling the router firwall reduces your security, while providing pretty much zero added benefit. Personally I don't understand why you'd want to do it.
    IrishTonyO On the other equipment supplied by UPC, the Netgear etc, there is no firewall on the router at all
    Netgear routers do have firewalls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I still have low speeds with regards the package i signed up for but i hope that when they segment our line that there will be a big improvement.

698666598.png

And they have credited my bill pretty quickly too for the sub-standard speeds during january

UPCCredit.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

And what do you do if/when your PC gets compromised by a 0day and you now have zero protection? ....

I assume he meant theres no need for both at the same time. Not that you don't need a firewall. My old basic netgear 614 has a firewall.

My problem with all this, is UPC don't give you precise report on what the problem is. So you have no idea if its something they can fix, or they isn't going to go away, like contention/over subscription. Mind you UPC are hardly going to tell you if theres a problem like that.

John2009 wrote: »
    I still have low speeds with regards the package i signed up for but i hope that when they segment our line that there will be a big improvement.

698666598.png

And they have credited my bill pretty quickly too for the sub-standard speeds during january

UPCCredit.png

That credit is not for the bad speeds, if you look at your bill closer you will see it is higher than normal before this 'discount' all this is is a credit for the remaining month you had paid before the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

So it's a sign of the times when I almost accidentally replied to the Ice thread instead of the UPC...

I too got the text message that told me nothing today, despite being promised it yesterday. The usual evening slowdown is in force...

698958185.png

And in case there is any doubt in anyone's mind about this being contention, here's 4am this morning...

698298434.png

This is a screencap from my router's traffic monitor, showing a consistent average... goodavgweb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Yep - same here again in Celbridge on 30Mbps..

Yesterday morning...

697270754.png

Yesterday evening....

697851807.png

Its gotten worse again in my case in that for the last few weeks even when the connection dropped DL speed as it is doing each day in the evening, I used to be able to get a fairly regular 2.7Mbps UL but that's gone way down now to under 1 Mbps!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just did a test now and got a decent result and would probably hit near the 30meg with multi threading. Still annoyed with the poor upload speed.

699579609.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement