Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

[IMG][/img]9220152.png

I have reached news depths of ****tiness. 30mg connection connected directly to the modem. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

clacks wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]9220152.png

I have reached news depths of ****tiness. 30mg connection connected directly to the modem. :eek:

Jesus they are the worst ping and jitter I have seen these days. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

[IMG][/img]9220152.png

I've never seen anything that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

roryq wrote: »
    I've never seen anything that bad
    9224855.png

Where are you?

Also have you turned of the firewall in your router?

Dublin 1. I might as well be on Mars for all the difference it makes. Trying to watch Barcelona at the moment of Veetle. It's a ****in disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks UPC ! ! !

700125731.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks UPC Photoshop! ! !

700125731.png

Corrected:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dodzy wrote: »
    Corrected:D
    nope, check the link, it goes direct to speedtest.net, it's not doctored.

also, i had the same thing happen this morning, gave me a bit of a shock, but it appears to be a glitch, the rest of the time i get normal results. :)

700618726.png

still not happy with my upload though, the main reason for upgrading was the increase upload and i haven't seen anything above 1.5mbps yet at all.

i'd rather have 20/3 than 30/1.5 if i had the choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,922 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks UPC ! ! !

700125731.png

Speedtest test is not to be trusted you need to run Magnet's one to get an accurate read of your broadband speed, even UPC engineers trust that try http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ and bet you won't be getting the speed listed above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Speedtest test is not to be trusted you need to run Magnet's one to get an accurate read of your broadband speed, even UPC engineers trust that try http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ and bet you won't be getting the speed listed above

This is how it looks for me this morning (which is unsual because Sunday Mornings is usualy the worst time with UPC since my "upgrade"):

700712107.png

Now given that these speedtests are just simply measuring the throughput of a single large TCP data transfer they are not really the best.

I found that a program calls Parthload2 shows me the best results as it shows the maximum available bandwith, you can find more info here.

Since the "upgrade" I notice very different results in pathload depending on the daytime. It's great during the morning/lunch but after 1500 h it becomes fraudband.

Currently I get:

Upstream Measurement (towards the Internet)
    Available bandwidth is at most 3.44 (Mbps)
    Measurement duration : 20.96 sec

Downstream Measurement (from the Internet)
    Available bandwidth is at most 31.29 (Mbps)
    Measurement duration : 22.20 sec

Which is great.

• Advertisement

Might be too soon to say this, but think my problems have been sorted, well to a major extent anyway. For the past few days on my 15Mbps kine, have been getting 14Mbps off peak and 10-12Mbps peak for download. Uploads have been worse though average off peak is about .8 Mbps and peak .45 Mbps. Still at least I haven't been getting speed of 1.2-4Mbps like I was previously. But if it has been sorted UPC hasn't informed me of anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

30Mb connection
    700785690.png

Had my latest visit from UPC engineer yesterday,and he done the same as the last guy,checked my speed via Speedtest.Net and UPC.NL,only confirmed what I have been telling them since this sham of an upgrade,I will be "downgrading" to 15Mb,as I will not pay 42 Euro pm for this!:mad:

Serves me right for saying anything, looks like I spoke too soon :mad:

700798455.png

cbr900 wrote: »
    30Mb connection
    700785690.png

Had my latest visit from UPC engineer yesterday,and he done the same as the last guy,checked my speed via Speedtest.Net and UPC.NL,only confirmed what I have been telling them since this sham of an upgrade,I will be "downgrading" to 15Mb,as I will not pay 42 Euro pm for this!:mad:

Your upload is crap, but your download isn't bad for Sunday this time, you're getting 77.5% what you should, on my 15 mb I am only getting 38% of what I should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Yes because Magnets speedtest is not bugged either :p

MagnetST.jpg

Only way is to do an FTP download from HeaNet and post the screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

I've found Ookla (what runs speedtest.net and Magnet speedtest) tests to be skewed up in this way due to action of some anti virus software, which I suspect buffers the downloaded data, scans it, then passes it in one instantaneous chunk to the receiving application, hence the gread DL speed.

Try disabling ALL your antivirus/resident shields/web guards, then try again.

speeds still down :mad:

701107210.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

30meg in Tallaght, wireless...

701157039.png

F1ngers wrote: »

701157039.png

that's not UPC, it's Clearwire

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Wireless on the Netbook....on the 30meg.

701178069.png

Getting much the same speed on the laptop,which is wired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

thefishone wrote: »
    Wireless on the Netbook....on the 30meg.

701178069.png

Getting much the same speed on the laptop,which is wired.

With UPC 20 meg. Got to love the speeds :-(
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 3463 kbps (432.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 347 kbps (43.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

30Mb/s, Tallaght at 1am...

695905224.png:rolleyes:

701157039.png
    IrishTonyO wrote: »

Only noticed it after you said it...WTF??????...I'm with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

the_law wrote: »
    I've found Ookla (what runs speedtest.net and Magnet speedtest) tests to be skewed up in this way due to action of some anti virus software, which I suspect buffers the downloaded data, scans it, then passes it in one instantaneous chunk to the receiving application, hence the gread DL speed.

Try disabling ALL your antivirus/resident shields/web guards, then try again.

Good man, I'd forgotten I had the Avira webguard active.

701396884.png

Speed test just now with the webguard disabled (I'm playing a game atm also, might skew it a little).

IrishTonyO wrote: »

UPDATE: My sons friend had connected my laptop to my neighbours unsecured network.
    I only noticed this morning.
    Glad I didn't phone UPC to get it corrected......:o

30Mb/s in Tallaght, wireless. (Much better than my neighbours Clearwire...:p)

701556621.png

[IMG][/img]701598230.png

There was a dream that was UPC. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile.

Give it a few hours and no doubt it'll be back to a crawl. Even at this ungodly hour, the upload is poxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deano_rich

[IMG][/img]701598230.png

There was a dream that was UPC. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile.

Give it a few hours and no doubt it'll be back to a crawl. Even at this ungodly hour, the upload is poxy.

Hey guys,

I am trying to Disable my firewall on the Cisco but when I go to http://192.168.1.1 It's asking me for UPC username a password? does anybody know where I'd get this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

deano_rich wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am trying to Disable my firewall on the Cisco but when I go to http://192.168.1.1 It's asking me for UPC username a password? does anybody know where I'd get this?

THe user name will be admin. Not too sure about the password. If you check the manufactures guide online you will probable find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its often written on the bottom on the router. Default is password on Netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deano_rich

Thanks Padair,

I have looked around and can't seem to find it. I just seen some guys on this post earlier on have said they have successfully disabled the firewall and thought the might know.

I have another look at the manufactures online guide. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Getting these speeds wired to my desktop pc through my router. 30meg

701744605.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement