Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    disable the firewall in the router

Hi IrishTony - is that to fix the packetloss problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

bardcom wrote: »

yes sorry meant to quote your message.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    disable the firewall in the router

How do you do that tony? Speeds are fine off peak so that suggests router is fine but i'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

bardcom wrote: »

What do you know

I disabled the firewall and repeating the test now gives me a much better result

9597840.png

Not fixing the slow d/l, but I gather there's a number of people with the same issue...
    704968049.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Daithi07 wrote: »
    How do you do that tony? Speeds are fine off peak so that suggests router is fine but i'll give it a go!

sorry Daithi07 thats was for the packetloss problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Well as far as ping goes, everything seem okiedokie
    9598542.png

But my promised 30/3 is less than adequate.

704977226.png

And the icing on the cake is that they charge me 99.99 (a round sum as €100 would seem to much of course) for my account.
    Claiming i overdid my dl-limit.

Is there ANYTHING i can do about this, more than call them and just be ignored? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Internet is f**king hopeless here. Not only am I paying for this crap but I am also paying for NBA International League Pass which was unwatchable tonight, even at 2.30am :mad::mad::mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

rang them the other day after emailing them a week previously (no response :rolleyes:). i'm pulling in between 3-6mb in the evenings for the past month, ping is steadily increasing - so much so that xbl was unplayable at 22.30 the other night.

the guy admitted there were contention issues (no sh!t) on my line but that they are planning on segmenting. . .for the 3rd quarter of this year i.e. fuping September :mad: - i'm nowhere even close to still being under contract but where else can i go to get a similar (when it's working) service????

so now i have to ring the billing department about requesting adjustments on my bills - they should be going out of their way to offer me these things

just on a side note, i'm not particularly happy with speeds i'm getting this morning, i don't think i've ever seen my results go as close to max as some other posters here and my upload has never exceeded 1mb

i'm on 20mb - dublin 12 705360241.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

dMaN24 wrote: »

And the icing on the cake is that they charge me 99.99 (a round sum as €100 would seem to much of course) for my account.

Is there ANYTHING i can do about this, more than call them and just be ignored? :mad:
    upc charged you for going over the limit.. its 250gb i think isn't it?
    did they give you a report on how much you dl'd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I thought there was no limit on the 15 and 30? Just 'acceptable usage' but they would have to give you a warning about that first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

dMaN24 wrote: »
    Well as far as ping goes, everything seem okiedokie
    9598542.png

But my promised 30/3 is less than adequate.

704977226.png

You need to watch UPC's Billing Dept Very Carefully!!

I had UPC's BroadBand Ultra 20Mbps Product for 17 months never any issue to complain about thankfully.

My monthly bill was for €48 (the usual €42 + a €6 standalone charge for only taking their broadband product).

On Jan 5th 2010 I rang UPC & asked that they move me to their new 30Mbps Product. I was told there was no extra cost to move from my 20Mbps to the new 30Mbps.

On Jan 28th 2010 I received a UPC bill for €127 Euros where the details showed that on Jan 5th 2010 they moved me to their Fibre Power 'Extreme' 30Mbps Product at €79.99 per month!!

There was never any Fibre Power 30Mbps Extreme Product Advertised on their website, I never asked to be put onto any 'Extreme' version of their regular 30Mbps Product etc..

My usage of the internet had not changed in 18 months so I know I definately did not go over any particular monthly amount - anyway they are meant to give you a warning letter if you do.

I could see on my bill that on the very day I asked to be upgraded from my 20Mbps to their new 30Mpbs that someone in UPC put me onto the 'Extreme' Tariff!

So not only was I not getting the full 30Mbps speeds in the evenings as per a lot of others on this thread, but UPC then also had put me on the wrong & much more expensive 'Extreme' tariff!

I rang immediately, they admitted their mistake & told me it would be best to let the overcharge bill go through the system ('computer says no' :-) ...they couldn't change it!) & then they'd credit me back the overcharge in the bill the following month.

I also asked them to make sure I was on the correct 30Mbps product which the UPC Customer Service rep told me I was!..

For the next 2 days my speeds were even worse - I never got faster than 10mbps DL & 1Mbps upload. I rang back at that stage to provide feedback to say their 30Mbps service had gotten worse & the UPC Rep on the phone told me I wasn't on 30Mbps - I was configured as a 10Mbps customer!!

I couldn't believe the whole inefficieny & lack of proper management or follow through for customers on the adminstration side. I really wonder what the managment team are doing or what (if any) actual processes are in place in UPC??

Anyway, I eventually got reconfigured for the 'normal' 30Mbps Fibre Power Product (at €42 per month + €8 standalone charge :-))

So now I'm 'just' having the same repeated drop in speed issues again like many on this thread & hopefully I'll be credited for the 'Extreme' overcharge on my next bill - otherwise I'll have to contact them yet again...

It's a great product when it works but there is something seriously wrong with the management or backend admin team in UPC...certainly that's my point of view based on what's been happening to me over the last few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Still no phone or BB and needless to say,never got the call back,so
    rang them again,Saturday is the earliest they can call out,not a great
    start for a service upgrade,two weeks in,already down 3 days and I'm
    not mentioning the various calls about the TV service.

Upgrade,my ar*e:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just got a customer service call about their upgrade and how was I finding it...

I said I was sick of seeing speeds like 12 and 15MB when it's supposed to be 30MB.

They said the upgrade should be nearly finished in my area soon (Dublin city centre) and it will without doubt get faster he said.

Then he tried to sell me a home phone package.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

MarkN wrote: »
    Just got a customer service call about their upgrade and how was I finding it...

I said I was sick of seeing speeds like 12 and 15MB when it's supposed to be 30MB.

They said the upgrade should be nearly finished in my area soon (Dublin city centre) and it will without doubt get faster he said.

Then he tried to sell me a home phone package.

Which side of the liffey? I'm in D1. How is the phone package working for you?Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Mines not been good since I upgraded to the 30MB download speeds, I used to get 20MB all the time. Must ring them so they now its happening to me too!

705938826.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bonoman66 wrote: »

I had UPC's BroadBand Ultra 20Mbps Product for 17 months never any issue to complain about thankfully.

My monthly bill was for €48 (the usual €42 + a €6 standalone charge for only taking their broadband product).

On Jan 5th 2010 I rang UPC & asked that they move me to their new 30Mbps Product. I was told there was no extra cost to move from my 20Mbps to the new 30Mbps.

On Jan 28th 2010 I received a UPC bill for €127 Euros where the details showed that on Jan 5th 2010 they moved me to their Fibre Power 'Extreme' 30Mbps Product at €79.99 per month!!

There was never any Fibre Power 30Mbps Extreme Product Advertised on their website, I never asked to be put onto any 'Extreme' version of their regular 30Mbps Product etc..

My usage of the internet had not changed in 18 months so I know I definately did not go over any particular monthly amount - anyway they are meant to give you a warning letter if you do.

I could see on my bill that on the very day I asked to be upgraded from my 20Mbps to their new 30Mpbs that someone in UPC put me onto the 'Extreme' Tariff!

So not only was I not getting the full 30Mbps speeds in the evenings as per a lot of others on this thread, but UPC then also had put me on the wrong & much more expensive 'Extreme' tariff!

I rang immediately, they admitted their mistake & told me it would be best to let the overcharge bill go through the system ('computer says no' :-) ...they couldn't change it!) & then they'd credit me back the overcharge in the bill the following month..................

That is plain nonsenses:eek: A multinational company with a billing system that cannot encompass an adjustment?????:rolleyes:

The reason bills are sent out is advise the customer of the amounts due and to allow the customer to contact the Company concerned where there are concerns.

Bills are not meant to be a statement of what a company will be charging you irrespective.

The rules of direct debit scheme expressly states:
    Originators must put in place reliable systems and which will ensure:

o the issuance of correct advance notification as appropriate of amounts to be debited
    o that Direct Debits as issued conform to Payer instructions and the Rules of the Scheme
    o that disputed amounts are not debited

UPC are in clear breach of the rules of the direct debit scheme in this case. They have your money and you now have to wait to see if you will get it back:rolleyes:

UPC are very quick of course to penalise you when you don't pay up at the right time - but rules are not for them yet again.

By the way of course they are not the only company to ignore this requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

dub45 wrote: »
    That is plain nonsenses:eek: A multinational company with a billing system that cannot encompass an adjustment?????:rolleyes:

The reason bills are sent out is advise the customer of the amounts due and to allow the customer to contact the Company concerned where there are concerns.

Bills are not meant to be a statement of what a company will be charging you irrespective.

The rules of direct debit scheme expressly states:

UPC are in clear breach of the rules of the direct debit scheme in this case. They have your money and you now have to wait to see if you will get it back:rolleyes:

UPC are very quick of course to penalise you when you don't pay up at the right time - but rules are not for them yet again.

By the way of course they are not the only company to ignore this requirement.

Thanks for those rules - pity I was unsure when I was originally speaking with their customer rep!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks for those rules - pity I was unsure when I was originally speaking with their customer rep!

You are very welcome - it is a lousy lousy system. For anyone interested you can get a guide to the scheme and a copy of the full rules at www.ipso.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 soeren

8 eur standalone charge?? i though it was 6... changed this year? have not yet got a bill for 2010...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

soeren wrote: »
    8 eur standalone charge?? i though it was 6... changed this year? have not yet got a bill for 2010...

I think it is to convince people to get one of the other packages.
    I got the phone package last year because it was cheaper to rent a 4 quid a month than the 6 quid standing charge.
    So it just sits on the desk never being used except to receive the odd call.

• Advertisement

I got the phone package last year because it was cheaper to rent a 4 quid a month than the 6 quid standing charge.

well if i would order this now it would cost 6 eur/month but voipstunt/skype is still cheaper to call than the 2 eur difference to 8 eur :D:D

and to stay on topic,it seems speeds are better from friday evening to sunday mornings.. :)

706921845.png

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

The engineer called a full 24 hours early...turned out I knew him,we used
    to work together years ago.So phone and BB back working.
    Downloads not up to full speed,but he is going to change the connections
    on the side of the house and the local area,turns out I'm not the only one
    having problems locally.

706907801.png

And he recommends the London server for the speed test,something about UPC having a server there.

thefishone wrote: »
    The engineer ...recommends the London server for the speed test,something about UPC having a server there.

yes, but it´s a bit slow there for me but to NL is between 2 and 2.7mb/s which is ok, not the speedtest but the downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

really bad tonight. I'm on 15Mb BB . What a rubbish.....

707069369.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've been one of the lucky ones getting 20MB+ speeds until of course the usual evening slowdown where it literally grinds to a halt. I can partially live with that :)

Thing is, I had 2 downloads going just there at about 2MB and I could not browse a single web page at all. Once i stopped the downloads, web pages fly as normal!! It happens alot in the evenings.

It maybe the Cisco router at fault but I never had that problem before with the previous SA/Netgear combo or DSL or Digiweb metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

I rang immediately, they admitted their mistake & told me it would be best to let the overcharge bill go through the system ('computer says no' :-) ...they couldn't change it!) & then they'd credit me back the overcharge in the bill the following month.

I also asked them to make sure I was on the correct 30Mbps product which the UPC Customer Service rep told me I was!..

For the next 2 days my speeds were even worse - I never got faster than 10mbps DL & 1Mbps upload. I rang back at that stage to provide feedback to say their 30Mbps service had gotten worse & the UPC Rep on the phone told me I wasn't on 30Mbps - I was configured as a 10Mbps customer!!

I couldn't believe the whole inefficieny & lack of proper management or follow through for customers on the adminstration side. I really wonder what the managment team are doing or what (if any) actual processes are in place in UPC??

Anyway, I eventually got reconfigured for the 'normal' 30Mbps Fibre Power Product (at €42 per month + €8 standalone charge :-))

So now I'm 'just' having the same repeated drop in speed issues again like many on this thread & hopefully I'll be credited for the 'Extreme' overcharge on my next bill - otherwise I'll have to contact them yet again...

It's a great product when it works but there is something seriously wrong with the management or backend admin team in UPC...certainly that's my point of view based on what's been happening to me over the last few weeks...

I've queried overbilling from UPC in the past and they've had no problem whatsoever in correcting the error before it was taken from my account. I think the rep you were talking to was bull****ting you to be honest.

Has anyone noticed that the calculations on their bills can be very odd at times ie. that sometimes the breakdown of charges doesn't add up yet the total column does?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Very disappointing speeds this morning, half the speed i should be getting, upload awful since upgrade. Using laptop.

707690550.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I have got sick of this i havent heard from UPC in ages regarding this and they have the nerve to bill me in full with the extra standalone charge!

I have written a short email to Matt Cooper on TodayFm with reference to this thread, he has been good at dealing with UPC in the past hopefully he'll pick it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Conor Pope of the Irish Times and Today fm might be interested also.

fionny wrote: »
    I have got sick of this i havent heard from UPC in ages regarding this and they have the nerve to bill me in full with the extra standalone charge!

I have written a short email to Matt Cooper on TodayFm with reference to this thread, he has been good at dealing with UPC in the past hopefully he'll pick it up!

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Gaeldor68

I haven't read the entire thread as it's pretty long and it'd take too long.
    I just have a few questions hoping some nice knowledgeable folks could help me.
    Basically going to be moving house and planning on maybe getting phone, tele and 30MB BB from UPC rather then Sky and Eircom.

Does anyone know if these problems with terrible drops in speeds effect the Dublin 9 area around whitehall? I don't want it dropping anywhere near 1MB or I'd be having a knicker-attack with them.

Does the phone use a totally different connection to it instead of the regular phone cable? or does the tv cable go into some kind of box that then lets out a regular telephone cable?

Any help would be appreciated and if you recognize that this same set of questions has been asked before just tell me a page number and I'll be grateful, as I have no experience with phone or broadband from a cable company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement