Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i'm now a new 5mb package customer as of this morning and look at that. . .712046907.png

i'm heading away just now but i can bet when i test again at 7-8pm on friday that i will not have this kind of result

anybody got any feedback on what magnet are like? i like the idea of 1:1 contention all of a sudden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i'm on the 15mb pack and i'm getting good speeds

711569018.png
    excellent. hope to switch to upc soon, so seeing a limerick located speed test is encouraging!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

miralize wrote: »
    excellent. hope to switch to upc soon, so seeing a limerick located speed test is encouraging!

If you are happy with what you have,stay with it.I have UPC now for
    3 weeks and it has been nothing but bad..no phone and Broadband again.
    As a priority,they are calling out 3 days after the initial call and I am only
    a minutes drive from the base in the L.E.D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

thefishone wrote: »
    If you are happy with what you have,stay with it.

+1

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

miralize wrote: »

i have never had problem with the spped never goes below 8-9mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i have never had problem with the spped never goes below 8-9mb

8Mb is 53% of what you are paying for though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    8Mb is 53% of what you are paying for though

sorry that was when i was on the 10mb pack.

it hasnt been below about 10mb since the upgarde exept for a few hours when i just got the upgrade it was complete crap then

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bears

guys this going to sound dum
    i got a 20mb conection for the last year or so with them and just wondered can i get the upgrade to the 30 or will they do it for regardless.

any info would be great thanks.

also i never have an issue with the connection at all avg around 19.8mb and 1.22mb up so happy with them. only thing is my torrent upload sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Well, i'm on 15Mb BB and every evening is a joke!!!
    712548960.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Great , just great... paying for 15Mb and even web browsing is very slow.

712562870.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Are we all in agreement that ....

ITS CONTENTION !

UPC seem to bend the truth with its contention ratios but also its "Fibre" claim .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

My modem keeps resetting ...happens most nights, the latest last night at 10:30 then it takes atleast 30min to come back...no phone or internet :(

Im in the clondalkin area on 20meg...getting about 3-8 meg since October.. if your thinking of switching to UPC, take my advice don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Stevo105 wrote: »
    My modem keeps resetting ...happens most nights, the latest last night at 10:30 then it takes atleast 30min to come back...no phone or internet :(

Im in the clondalkin area on 20meg...getting about 3-8 meg since October.. if your thinking of switching to UPC, take my advice don't

Whats the alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

bryaner wrote: »
    Whats the alternative?

Good point....but im not siging up for another 12 months, maybe Irishbroadband they give you the same upload speed as the download speed...i really hope UPC get there act together

Stevo105 wrote: »
    Good point....but im not siging up for another 12 months, maybe Irishbroadband they give you the same upload speed as the download speed...i really hope UPC get there act together

Irish broadband!! stay a hundred miles away my friend absolute muck

I had to get rid of them 2 years ago. UPC is like T4 in comparison.

Download speed 4137 Kbps
    Upload speed 1470 Kbps
    QOS 59 %
    RTT 35 ms
    Max Delay 61 ms
    Avg Delay 4 ms
    Max Bandwidth 17600 Kbps
    Route Speed 14979 Kbps
    Forced Idle 21 %
    Route Conc 4.2
    Download test s
    Upload test s

But how this

713269860.png

Compared to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭MarkN

clacks wrote: »
    Which side of the liffey? I'm in D1. How is the phone package working for you?Joke.

Northside. Spencer Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Today they called right on schedule, they put in new cables from the road and into the attic ..got home from work and was getting 29 meg DL:D ,then come six.:rolleyes:

713662252.png

Will be keeping an eye on it,as they ARE;) going to return next Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

713680490.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well I've an engineer due to me on Saturday week, I don't think he will find any issue with the line quality, If this isn't sorted soon I think the majority of us should just downgrade to the 15meg package, whats the point of paying for a service that the provider cannot deliver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Has anyone got an Idea what wireless router to buy to get the most out of my 30mb broadband

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

On another note.. has anyone notice that there ip has changed on upc?
    mine has gone to this 109.255.148.XXX
    it has always been in the 79.97.43.XXX range
    any reasons?

Lenny wrote: »
    any reasons?

mine is still in 79.97 range, Clondalkin here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

So it's been a while since I posted here... I've been holding off because I managed to get the attention of a supervisor who passed my case to one of his senior technicians. Although I haven't had any communication back from them (after considerable discussion of the problem with me) there seems to have been a change for the better.

As of sometime on Wednesday (I was out all day) my modem started connecting to a new CMTS, on different frequencies. From analysis of the CMTS MAC addresses, the old one was manufactured by Cisco, and the new one is manufactured by Casa Systems. From Casa's website, they only seem to make DOCSIS 3 devices. Bear in mind however that I have the SciA modem which is not DOCSIS 3 compatible.

I have also been assigned an IP in a different range.

While long term performance remains to be seen, speed has not dropped below 27Mbits so far this evening...

Will keep you all posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

any reasons?

Yeah, me too. As of Wednesday sometime for me (Rathmines). 109.255.36.xxx

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea I'm in tallaght. I was looking at my rapidshare logs and saw that my ip had downloaded a few gig... thought my RS password had been stolen.
    Now xbl was weird earlier, a friend in my area was hosting it and hes on upc and I was getting strange packet loss lag

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

I'm in Dundrum and since I'm a new customer, I got a text message to text CALL and someone would call me back. They did, and I told them that:

1. I had to switch off the firewall to fix the dropped packets problem. The initial symptom was that my Xbox360 would give problems, but I was able to see the problem running pingtest.com where I was getting 85% dropped packets. After advice here to turn off the firewall, the problem was fixed.

2. I'm on the 30Mb package, and was getting 22Mb for the first couple of days, but that got the past 2 weeks, I haven't gotten above 10Mb

3. The CISCO wireless modem regularly drops connections.

She said she'd get someone from tech support to call that evening as I would be travelling for work the next day. So they called the next day (yesterday) and left a message along the lines of "Don't worry about the firewall since so long as you have a good anti-virus, you've nothing to worry about".

I texted CALL again, and I got talking to another tech support person today. She says that:

1. There's nothing wrong with my line - no packets being dropped. I explained that from my end, the firewall is preventing packets originating in my LAN going to the internet. She said that they don't support gaming or setting up gaming equipment, and that there's no problem that she can see. I said that she should test from inside my LAN - otherwise she wouldn't see any problem anyway.

2. She said that they don't support turning off the firewall (which is the opposite of the advice from the message I got - although I agree with her)

3. She advised me to change the encryption to WEP on the CISCO modem as this can fix the dropping connections.

4. She says that there is work going on at the moment on the Leopardstown Line, which I'm on, and this may be affecting D/L speeds.

So, just jumping through hoops at the moment. I'm interested if anyone else has had a problem with the CISCO wireless dropping connections on a fairly regular basis. Or what speeds they're getting in Dundrum/Leopardstown. Or if they've reported the dropped packets problem (and if there's a different solution, etc)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

any reasons?

Mine is 89.101.64.XXX. Don't know what it was before as I never bothered to check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Internet has dropped twice in the last hour. 2:15am and 2:50am for 5 minutes each. Connection still sucks on PSN and XBL.

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Internet has dropped twice in the last hour. 2:15am and 2:50am for 5 minutes each. Connection still sucks on PSN and XBL.

Mine went a few times tonight as well around 1 am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement