Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Have a funny feeling some work has been done.. was getting well over 20mb all yesterday evening, which is totally acceptable taking into account overall network traffic/internet congestion etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Mine went a few times tonight as well around 1 am

Mine as well, dropped out for 5 minutes at a time.. then some shorter 30 second dropouts.

Highly inconvinient when playing poker as It could cause me to lose hundreds..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭timefora_J

Since the upgrade I've had issues and UPC have decided that its best if I go back to 20mb. I've had 2 engineers out and made the complaints and this is the outcome. I think theres not enough people have complained in my area and its prob not worth their while carrying out any work to the node just for a couple of customers.

To be fair the connection seems more stable but time will tell. Gonna keep my ear to the ground and see how things go, hopefully they sort the issues and I can try the upgrade again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oasisfan

Im worried now, i live in the Rathfarnham area near the old shopping centre. and i just ordered UPC broadband and phone line, i currently have 02 home and wireless broadband which im recieving a speed of like 2mb and its meant to be a 3mb connection so im gettin UPC 15mb and also there home phone, is it good or bad and does any one have it in rathfarnham!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ah you'll be grand, your going from mobile stik to cable, you should hit 10-15mb good enough. You'll notice a great increase of speeds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

upgraded to 30 meg last month. havent gotten over 10 meg since

rang them tonight and they raised a fault to an engineer

2 hours later heres my speedtest results

715008140.png

im beginning to think whoever complains the most gets the most bandwidth.
    as i said it was stuck on 10 for a month. within 2 hours it hit 32

he also said there was a "known issue" with people who upgraded over the web not getting the speed but being charged. as in there speed profile doesnt change but their bills do

maybe everyone that is not getting faster speeds can tell me if they upgraded by web or phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

715649022.png

in maynooth on 30mb package, its gone up to 70mbs off peak times also

Rang earlier and my 30mb line got bumped from around 10mb to 19mb.. Engineers are going to be getting back to me within 48 hours and they'll hopefully get it up to the 30mb.

10339516.png

Why would I be getting such high packet loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

What the F*&K is going on with UPC tonight...I'm on a 15MB connection all has been great for the last two weeks always getting between 13mb and 14.90mb all times of the day or night.

Even today it was fine but came home now had no connection so restarted the modem. Now I'm only getting what for it 1mb<

Speedtest.net couldn't even finish the test for the upload part its that bad its just sitting there...

I'm in D3 area anybody else have the same issue??? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Its back to normal now so happy days not sure what went wrong there for awhile.
    neonman wrote: »
    What the F*&K is going on with UPC tonight...I'm on a 15MB connection all has been great for the last two weeks always getting between 13mb and 14.90mb all times of the day or night.

Even today it was fine but came home now had no connection so restarted the modem. Now I'm only getting what for it 1mb<

Speedtest.net couldn't even finish the test for the upload part its that bad its just sitting there...

I'm in D3 area anybody else have the same issue??? :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

10339516.png

Why would I be getting such high packet loss?

It's the firewall on the Cisco router. Turning off the flood protection options should sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Davek1312

I have ordered UPC's 15 meg package with home phone and they are sending engineers to install it next saturday.

I am currently with Perlico and would like to know how do I keep my current phone number and does anyone have UPC in Celbridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Okay: it looks like there's hope. Spoke with the guy who is handling my case, and he confirmed that the new equipment in my area is there to stay. He warned that there may be intermittent issues as it's new equipment - so far I've had to make my router renew its IP manually every once in a while. I have not ruled out problems on my end with this though.

Speeds today have been a constant 27-29 which is fine by me. Assuming it stays like this I'm happy.

So to recap: I reported the issue and it was resolved two and a half weeks later with installation of a new CMTS. To be honest, setting aside the hassle of getting noticed by someone with the ability to get a resolution, in my case UPC have done what's needed, and done so in a reasonable timeframe given that new equipment was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

the_law wrote: »
    Okay: it looks like there's hope. Spoke with the guy who is handling my case, and he confirmed that the new equipment in my area is there to stay. He warned that there may be intermittent issues as it's new equipment - so far I've had to make my router renew its IP manually every once in a while. I have not ruled out problems on my end with this though.

Speeds today have been a constant 27-29 which is fine by me. Assuming it stays like this I'm happy.

So to recap: I reported the issue and it was resolved two and a half weeks later with installation of a new CMTS. To be honest, setting aside the hassle of getting noticed by someone with the ability to get a resolution, in my case UPC have done what's needed, and done so in a reasonable timeframe given that new equipment was needed.

Mine was reported on 10th January, repeated a week later and another week later, and I have heard nothing..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

the_law wrote: »

I admire your optimism. Based on the experiences of many, I really hope is is not short lived ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've heard nothing from them either.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Just received an email to say I had received the update to 30mb. Did a quick speedtest, got like 18mbs. Went downstairs rebooted modem. Back up to PC and ran speed test again, got like 23mbs. Not great but still an improvement I suppose! Hopefully speeds get a bit better.

Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Does anyone have the 30Mb Package in Kilkenny? How's it for quality etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

Speed in Greenhills Dublin 12 Still Bad

30meg connection

running at 12.13 down and 2.29 up

Come on UPC get the finger out and sort it

Whats it going to take, you must have your own department in comreg with the amount of complaints. Your a disgrace of a business

http://www.speedtest.net/result/717629585.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Can anyone explain this to me, I live in Limerick. I'm on 30mb UPC broadband?

When I check the speed through the Limerick server I get this result
    717750584.png

When I choose another server in Galway I get this result.
    717753314.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Just had another phone call back from UPC tech support from a chap called "James" top bloke and was really considerate and very helpful. 10/10 from me for UPC tech + customer support so far.

He basically told me that sometime this week my line and along with more from our local node are being transfered over to a new UBR and that i will start to get a major improvement in speeds. Fingers crossed.

717785396.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SEORG wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this to me, I live in Limerick. I'm on 30mb UPC broadband?

When I check the speed through the Limerick server I get this result
    717750584.png

When I choose another server in Galway I get this result.
    717753314.png

The limerick server must be over contended.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

The limerick server was never any good for the speedtests,use the one in Dublin or the London one.

The Galway server for some strange reason always gives me faster speeds

Just wondering have any people in the Clondalkin area heard back from UPC regarding the speed problems? My speeds are better than they were am getting 9-14 off peak and about 5-10 peak now.However the upload speeds are very bad ranging from 0.4-1.0 off peak and 0.19-0.4 peak.
    I originally reported the problems when the speeds were much worse on the 10th Jan and have mailed a few times and called a few times since, but still no one has got back to me.
    Anyone else in the Clondalkin area heard anything from them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

719077844.png

I love UPC and their reliable 15Mb broadband service. D7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ryball wrote: »
    719077844.png

I love UPC and their reliable 15Mb broadband service. D7

15mb in limerick

719116889.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I restarted my modem tonight (lost connection) And ran a speedtest after that.
    I was pleasantly surprised that my speed went up to 2.1-2.2 on my 30/3 line.

I've been down on 1.1-1.3 for the last two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

15mb (over wireless) Dublin

719585006.png

I'm house sitting at the moment and since the upgrade, this connection has been fine. HD is also available here, I wonder if there's a correlation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement