Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone know when people who did not request an upgrade will be upgraded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

JPA wrote: »
    Anyone know when people who did not request an upgrade will be upgraded?

Some point in March is what people were saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

March 4th I think..

15 Meg connection in Navan well happy I must say.

719661100.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

SEORG wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this to me, I live in Limerick. I'm on 30mb UPC broadband?

When I check the speed through the Limerick server I get this result
    717750584.png

When I choose another server in Galway I get this result.
    717753314.png

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but which one of these is giving me an accurate speedtest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Both are. They are reporting the speeds achieved between your PC and the SpeedTest host at that time.

The difference could be explained by routing issues, e.g. to get to the Limerick server maybe your traffic travelled via Dublin? This would be no fault of your own. Or it could mean that the host in Limerick is unreliable (especially at high speeds)?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

SInce the new cable was out in,the following are about average.

Wireless
    720093707.png

Wired

720096315.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So I have an UPC engineer calling to me on Saturday, don't think it will make much of a difference as it's a contention issue, but I suspect he will want to swap out my NTL modem which is an old blue NTL 250, any ideas what they will stick in it's place? do they have a couple of different types or is it just the one particular version that they are installing or should I insist that I keep the NTL 250, any advise appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

very bad here tonight. trying to watch a video on youtube thats 2min 33 sec long and i'm waiting about 20minutes now for it to load.

720153938.png

on a 15mb line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

So I have an UPC engineer calling to me on Saturday, don't think it will make much of a difference as it's a contention issue, but I suspect he will want to swap out my NTL modem which is an old blue NTL 250, any ideas what they will stick in it's place? do they have a couple of different types or is it just the one particular version that they are installing or should I insist that I keep the NTL 250, any advise appreciated

Whatever you do don't accept the Cisco modem. Insist on the Scientific Atlanta modem. I had months of telephone related issues due to the Cicso modem that were only fixed when it was swapped out for the Scientific Atlanta. There are numerous complaints on this forum relating to the Cisco modem.

• Advertisement

Whatever you do don't accept the Cisco modem. Insist on the Scientific Atlanta modem. I had months of telephone related issues due to the Cicso modem that were only fixed when it was swapped out for the Scientific Atlanta. There are numerous complaints on this forum relating to the Cisco modem.

I have the Cisco modem but only for broadband, no tv etc and never had a prob.

we will see what the engineer offers, I won't ever be using their telephone service as i use Blueface.

Hey Just looking at my NTL bill for that i got from what I can make out all they have reduced my bill by is €15.40 for the "Service Problem" just wondering what others have had their bills reduced by? I'm on Broadband Ultra btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Hey Just looking at my NTL bill for that i got from what I can make out all they have reduced my bill by is €15.40 for the "Service Problem" just wondering what others have had their bills reduced by? I'm on Broadband Ultra btw

did you ring them to get this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

721094623.png

Speed in Greenhills D12 on 30meg

dunworth1 wrote: »
    did you ring them to get this

Well anytime I've been on complaining about the service i stated to them that I expected to have discount to be applied to my account, now €15 reduction doesn't seem a whole lot to have my bill reduced by seeing as I'm only getting less the 5meg in the evenings

Spear wrote: »
    It's the firewall on the Cisco router. Turning off the flood protection options should sort it.

Thanking you... Packet Loss at 0% :D

10720739.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

At peaks times we should expect some contention in all fairness.

I am on the 30meg pack and for peak time I am happy enough with this.

721244439.png

10721011.png

I was pulling my hair out during the worst of the problems.

Upgrades seem to be a bumpy ride.

For future upgrades I would advise people to wait until UPC upgrade them and not ask to be part of the first wave of lab rats.:)

Wtf is going on tonight??

722539942.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

bryaner wrote: »
    Wtf is going on tonight??

722539942.png

I dunno

722581806.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

722599838.png

Speed on 15mp one in Cabra...sucks having such low up speed :( dl speed is down a bit 2 :( but cant complain to what some ppl are having...really dont see the point of some ppl sticking with Vodafone?

Do NTL have one dedicated server that they use to do speed tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Do NTL have one dedicated server that they use to do speed tests?

Yea here :

brewhurst-waterwheel.jpeg

Massive speeds expected :rolleyes:

mixednuts wrote: »
    Yea here :

brewhurst-waterwheel.jpeg

Massive speeds expected :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick response but I'm looking for a more technical answer ;)

It's just that there was an engineer in with me this morning and he says that the speedtest they go off is the London server on speedtest.net. I might be overly suspicious but I don't believe a word of what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

It's just that there was an engineer in with me this morning and he says that the speedtest they go off is the London server on speedtest.net. I might be overly suspicious but I don't believe a word of what he said.

Here it is.http://www.upc.nl/internet/snel_internet/speedtest/

Thought he was spouting sh1t€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

One of the ( better) UPC techs I spoke to recommended
    http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It's just that there was a engineer pointless visit from a UPC employee which ultimately solved feck all in with me this morning and he says that the speedtest they go off is the London server on speedtest.net. I might be overly suspicious but I don't believe a word of what he said.

Post corrected ;)

Well engineer called round checked signal quality for noise at side of house he said it was fine, got him to swap out my old NTL 250 modem for a Scientific Atlanta one, made sure to say that I didn't want a Cisco he laughed and said they were crap didn't know why they hadn't used a better version, anyway the long and the short of it is that the speed hasn't improved its the same so no joy still rubbish using magnet's speed test its 13kbps download and 1905kbps upload. going to ring them now to find out what they are going to do next.

• Advertisement

Seriously erratic today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement