Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Got a reply today from my mail of 4th Feb.

"In this email Julie has advised this issue with slow speeds is still being investigated and we will credit your account the difference between the packages of the speeds you are receiving to the package you are being charged for
    Please accept our sincere apologies for this issue but unfortunately we do not have a resolution date for this issue"

No resolution date for the issue?? Am waiting to see my bill tomorrow on line and see what they have credited me for.

edit : Have just checked my bill online and have received no credit at all, charged the full price!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mixednuts wrote: »
    Yea here :

brewhurst-waterwheel.jpeg

Massive speeds expected :rolleyes:

haha +1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Have just checked my bill online and have received no credit at all, charged the full price!!!!

Same story here. They promised to credit me...:mad:

billj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Bizarre. For no reason at all my (supposed) 30meg service has been dipping in speed all week.

Tested using ethernet connection directly connected to the modem, nothing else online.

724151348.png

Confirmed similar speeds using NTL and Magnet speedtests

Power cycled the modem, tried test again

724157995.png

Any clue what is going on here ? I hope I don't have to power the modem on and off every couple of days :confused:

Within minutes it seems to be slowing down

724169878.png

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

My 15 meg will be here on Saturday next week. How are the speeds in the city centre? Dublin 2?

• Advertisement

very bad speed this evening

724517211.png

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

724551220.png

A pain in my hole with this ****. Without a doubt the worst service provider known to man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

this is my newly downgraded 5mb line

724636792.png. . .bloody splendid

magnet test is only reading ping 231ms, 669kbps down, 447kbps up

do i really have to start hitting them up for credit on this cheaper package???

yeah speed are crap today all day

724644219.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Muck on my end 15 meg

724624294.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

fine here in limerick :P

724688990.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

in cork city, upgraded from 10 to 15, it took two emails after their initial "your speed has been increased" email for the change to actually take affect.

working like a charm though, getting download speeds of 1.8mb/s

Got a reply today from my mail of 4th Feb.

"In this email Julie has advised this issue with slow speeds is still being investigated and we will credit your account the difference between the packages of the speeds you are receiving to the package you are being charged for
    Please accept our sincere apologies for this issue but unfortunately we do not have a resolution date for this issue"

No resolution date for the issue?? Am waiting to see my bill tomorrow on line and see what they have credited me for.

edit : Have just checked my bill online and have received no credit at all, charged the full price!!!!

Sent them a mail to say I have not be credited on my account and to ask for an idea of a resolution date and got the following reply!

"This issue is still being investigated by our network engineers and unfortunately we have no resolution date
    When this issue is resolved credit will then be applied to your account"

This is ridiculous am going to call them today.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Speedtest results are pretty meaningless folks. The speedtest servers regularly suffer from heavy contention themselves.

The only real measure of your available bandwidth is being directly connected to the UPC modem with an ethernet cable, downloading a large file over a long enough time period from a server that won't be saturated, such as ftp://ftp.heanet.ie. Wifi results are completely meaningless. Speedtest results are almost as meaningless.

You will be deservedly ignored if all you're doing is pasting speedtest results and shouting 'homgz contentions are eating my tubes'.

reading back through this thread it appears that a more accurate test is to download a file such as
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/theopencd/3.1/theopencd-3.1.iso

So, I've tried it and am getting on average 3.5 MB/sec transfer rate

That seems to be very consistent with a 30meg download speed - yeah ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,056 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

reading back through this thread it appears that a more accurate test is to download a file such as
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/theopencd/3.1/theopencd-3.1.iso

So, I've tried it and am getting on average 3.5 MB/sec transfer rate

That seems to be very consistent with a 30meg download speed - yeah ?

Yep, It is. And many here are now in envy of you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What is that ISO and why is it more accurate?

BostonB wrote: »
    What is that ISO and why is it more accurate?

It makes no difference what the ISO is, all it means is that when you run a speedtest it is only a test at that very moment whereas a download takes a longer time and gives you a more realistic idea of what your speed is. Speedtest are ok to give you an indication especially if you run a few of them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Doh, I get yah. Wasn't reading that properly.

So what I've learned here is that speedtest.net is not a reliable indicator.

2 minutes after I downloaded that .iso file I ran speedtest.net and it indicated a 15meg broadband connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    My 15 meg will be here on Saturday next week. How are the speeds in the city centre? Dublin 2?

Iv had it for a week and seems stable enough throughout the day, im getting 12Mb/s atm. Im in temple bar btw

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

My 30Mb connection is still ****ty at night times, it always runs fine when I'm in work.
    725751592.png

An engineer called out one day when I wasn't here and left a note, on it he wrote there "racking issues in hand, contention"

IMAG0225.jpg

AntiVirus wrote: »
    My 30Mb connection is still ****ty at night times, it always runs fine when I'm in work.

where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

725810793.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Caffro

On a 15 mb line.. just switched from BT 24mb to this. Was getting a constant speed of 7mb on the BT line which was rubbish. But this is no better to be honest

725808270.png

Was wondering if its the Cisco modem that was given? someone said it in the forum. I have a belkin n-1 router/modem which ill try tomorrow and see if that helps..

And if theres no luck there am ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

where abouts are you?

I'm in Lucan

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I'm in Lucan

Clondalkin here and I know it is contention but as I said in previous posts after 7 weeks waiting all they will say to me is their engineers are investigating it, and they won't credit me until the problem is solved. When asked when the problem will be solved they cannot even tell me whether it is weeks months or years. I am really getting fed up of this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Clondalkin here and I know it is contention but as I said in previous posts after 7 weeks waiting all they will say to me is their engineers are investigating it, and they won't credit me until the problem is solved. When asked when the problem will be solved they cannot even tell me whether it is weeks months or years. I am really getting fed up of this.

And can I remind you yet again that you havea absolutely no right to any credit?
    2.2 In supplying the Services we will always use our reasonable skill and care but are
    unable to guarantee fault free performance. The Services are provided on a best efforts
    basis and we do not warrant that any connection to, transmission over, or results of the
    Equipment or the Services will meet your requirements or will provide uninterrupted use
    or will operate as required or at any minimum speed, or error free. We can not
    guarantee minimum bandwidth delivered to you and we can not guarantee that all data
    traffic can be transported complete and without delay. If a fault occurs you should notify
    us by contacting our customer management centre. If you are unable to access the
    Services, you remain liable to pay all Charges that would otherwise apply

On the other hand you could always quote their own garbage back to them:
    ...........................Average expected broadband speeds at peak times are 5Mb, 15Mb and 30Mb...............................

they have agreed to credit me, but not until after the problem is solved, which is strange, but worse they don't know when the problem will be solved. Speeds are better than they used to be be still not what they should be. Anyway sent them another mail saying I am not happy and want a manager to call me. I just want to know a timeframe to have it sorted so I can decide whether I am going to stay with them or not, even though to be honest, not much better available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

just tested mine in leixlip
    725951470.png[/URL]

i seem to get that any time day or night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Caffro wrote: »
    On a 15 mb line.. just switched from BT 24mb to this. Was getting a constant speed of 7mb on the BT line which was rubbish. But this is no better to be honest

725808270.png

Was wondering if its the Cisco modem that was given? someone said it in the forum. I have a belkin n-1 router/modem which ill try tomorrow and see if that helps..

And if theres no luck there am ringing.

yeah that particular model cisco modem is quite bad, im looking into higher end alternatives

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement