Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

my speeds are ok now, but it is 2am

725952627.png

yesterday they were like this all day

724517211.png

Well got a reply to my email asking them to escalate the matter to a supervisor or manager. Basically they have downgraded me back to the 10Mbps package without even consulting me and have given me a €20 discount. And still say they have no timeframe for a resolution!!!

"Thank you for your reply
    Our Technical team have advised that at the moment the only resolution is to put you back on your old package pre the upgrade on the 6th January 2010
    This was the Broadband Express 10MB @ €32.00 a month until this issue is resolved
    I have also applied €20.00 credit to your account
    This is the difference of the package you have been paying of 15MB @ €32.00 a month and the Broadband Value @ 3MB @ € 22.00 a month for two months
    I have today reapplied your previous package the Broadband Express 10MB @ €32.00 a month
    When this is issue is resolved we would be delighted to upgrade your speeds from the 10MB to the new increased speeds at 15MB"

And now that I am back on 10Mbps am getting the following speeds, but will have to wait until this evening to see what I am getting then.

726291040.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I'm still waiting here for our lines to be segmented, phoned tech support lastnite as my speeds had dropped to below 2MB on my 30MB package.

The lady in support was really nice and helpful so 10/10 from me for C/S, she told me that our lines are definately being segmented this week as they have recieved their shipment of equipment for this job and what were getting is some sort of transfer over to their new set-up along the lines of a Casa Systems thingy, and once thats done she promised that i'll never have any more disasterous speed drops in the evening and heavy contention will be non-existent for me.

What do people here know about this new Casa Systems upgrade?

726531955.png

Connected with the ethernet cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Caffro

Just got done ringing UPC customer service. The guy on the phone was really helpful but unfortunately could not solve the problem. He said the signal was great and that there is no reason why I should not be getting 15mb down. So after numerous speed tests and rebooted the Cisco router/modem, he decided to send out a technician on Friday.

I said what are the chances of the router/modem being the problem and he said the chances are pretty high at this stage since there is no other reason for it..

So if all goes well the speeds will be back up on Friday. Will report back.

726678938.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ryue65

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Really think it is contention as before upgrade had no problems at all, surely if it was noise etc it would have occurred to some extent then as well.
    Reckon that too many people got broadband in over Christmas and then a lot upgraded the speeds, all without UPC increasing the bandwidth capacity.

Couldnt agree with you more.

When I got a response to my complaint, I was told that my area was oversubscribed! The technician did say that it would be resolved in 2 -3 weeks, but that was over a month ago.

• Advertisement

ryue65 wrote: »
    Couldnt agree with you more.

When I got a response to my complaint, I was told that my area was oversubscribed! The technician did say that it would be resolved in 2 -3 weeks, but that was over a month ago.

At least they told you something, they told me nothing, and have no resolution date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

At least they told you something, they told me nothing, and have no resolution date.

as i've mentioned in previous posts,i got a ballpark resolution date from them. . .3rd Q 2010 :eek::eek::eek:

i'm down to 5mb package now and even browsing this evening are frustratingly slow

check this ping 726730392.png

anybody for MW2 tonight? :rolleyes:

Well got a reply to my email asking them to escalate the matter to a supervisor or manager. Basically they have downgraded me back to the 10Mbps package without even consulting me and have given me a €20 discount. And still say they have no timeframe for a resolution!!!

"Thank you for your reply
    Our Technical team have advised that at the moment the only resolution is to put you back on your old package pre the upgrade on the 6th January 2010
    This was the Broadband Express 10MB @ €32.00 a month until this issue is resolved
    I have also applied €20.00 credit to your account
    This is the difference of the package you have been paying of 15MB @ €32.00 a month and the Broadband Value @ 3MB @ € 22.00 a month for two months
    I have today reapplied your previous package the Broadband Express 10MB @ €32.00 a month
    When this is issue is resolved we would be delighted to upgrade your speeds from the 10MB to the new increased speeds at 15MB"

And now that I am back on 10Mbps am getting the following speeds, but will have to wait until this evening to see what I am getting then.

726291040.png

This makes no sense at all, since they downgraded me back to 10Mbps I am getting almost full speeds, but full speeds at 15Mbps

727021341.png

Never had an upload that high before, I am not complaining long may it last :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I mailed UPC the other day regarding my speeds since my upgrade
    to the 15 meg line, I got a call back where the lady told about
    some problems they were having since the upgrade, so she suggested
    putting me back on the 10 meg till there sorted, seems to have worked
    out.

727983058.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

My line has been god awful since upgrading from 10mb to 15mb, haven't read through the thread but it looks like a common occurance? I know it's not my line quality, anyway might give their tech support a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Just received this reply from support.

Thank you for your email. Please be advised that I have changed you back to the 20MB broadband service. I sincerely apologise for the slow speed issues you have experienced. Can you please plug out the modem and plug this back in to receive the 20MB speed.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us on customer.support@upc.ie

I'll give it a few days and see if there's any improvement. Initial impressions are not good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

So when are we being upgraded?

From my speed tests it looks like i'm on the 15MB package, despite being on, or at leats paying for, what is now the 30MB package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 soeren

hi, i had 30mbit for around 2 weeks then did´nt get the speeds offered and asked ntl to switch me back to 20 and they did, i now have 2.35mb/s download which is better than ever before and very close to the maximium of 2.5mb/s - the speedtest showed sth in the area of 19.01 mbit - upload is worse around 120k but thats ok. enough for gaming and skype. :)

except for the standalone charge increase to 8 eur is nothing to complain left against ntl on my side( at the moment) :D:D

728941283.png

rgds

Well putting me back to 10 Mbps seems to have done F all :(

729091560.png

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

broadband went down in limerick for line upgrade. back today and have this at peak time, thank god! on 15mb and wireless729113157.png:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

soeren wrote: »
    hi, i had 30mbit for around 2 weeks then did´nt get the speeds offered and asked ntl to switch me back to 20 and they did, i now have 2.35mb/s download which is better than ever before and very close to the maximium of 2.5mb/s - the speedtest showed sth in the area of 19.01 mbit - upload is worse around 120k but thats ok. enough for gaming and skype. :)

How much is the 20Mb for you?

I'm paying €42 for 20Mb, yet on the website €42 gets you 30Mb. I know us already on their 20Mb would have to wait a while before they upgraded us to the 30Mb. I'm just wondering when that is supposed to start happening or if indeed it already has happened for some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Well,

Has anyone any idea when there planning to start upgrades in maynooth? I rang NTL and strangely enough their customer service was shocking. Imagine that. Any info would be great. Really want to get good broadband package and unwilling to pay eircoms extortionist rates.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

www.speedtest.net%20target=_blank%3E731025322.png731025322.png

11392497.png

15meg-Dublin 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Davek1312

I ordered UPC's 15 meg broadband with home phone on the 7th of February one month ago. Installation was supposed to take place on two weeks later on Saturday the 21st. The engineer never came and I was told there was a mix up and they would come on Tuesday. So I took the day off work and rang them up at four o'clock to see what the story was and they said that there was another mix up and they would come the next day. Once again I took the day off work and rang them four times that day and was told they were on their way. Ony my last call to them at 8 o'clock on Wednesday they finally told me they were not coming and that they were definitely coming the next day ( Thursday the 25th ). So at this stage I was pretty annoyed and decided to trust them and take the day off again. I was surprised when they came at 3 o'clock. So they got down to work, connecting the outside cable to the modem, connecting the phone, checking it by ringing their office and it was all grand. Now when they checked the broadband, oh no! there's a problem!! The cable's signal is too weak. So I said can you fix it? They said yes of course, all we have to do is go back to our hq and send letters to five of your neighbours asking for permission to go into there gardens and check their wires! It could take up to a year they said. So I told them to f**k off and cancel my order. So here I am without broadband connecting to one of my neighbours wireless who has... UPC!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Davek1312 wrote: »
    I ordered UPC's 15 meg broadband with home phone on the 7th of February one month ago. Installation was supposed to take place on two weeks later on Saturday the 21st. The engineer never came and I was told there was a mix up and they would come on Tuesday. So I took the day off work and rang them up at four o'clock to see what the story was and they said that there was another mix up and they would come the next day. Once again I took the day off work and rang them four times that day and was told they were on their way. Ony my last call to them at 8 o'clock on Wednesday they finally told me they were not coming and that they were definitely coming the next day ( Thursday the 25th ). So at this stage I was pretty annoyed and decided to trust them and take the day off again. I was surprised when they came at 3 o'clock. So they got down to work, connecting the outside cable to the modem, connecting the phone, checking it by ringing their office and it was all grand. Now when they checked the broadband, oh no! there's a problem!! The cable's signal is too weak. So I said can you fix it? They said yes of course, all we have to do is go back to our hq and send letters to five of your neighbours asking for permission to go into there gardens and check their wires! It could take up to a year they said. So I told them to f**k off and cancel my order. So here I am without broadband connecting to one of my neighbours wireless who has... UPC!

You really should send them an invoice for your wasted time - that sort of behaviour is apalling from any company. Again it shows they have total contempt for the customers and anyone who thinks otherwise in spite of all the evidence is really in denial. Apalling stuff once again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Davek1312 wrote: »
    Absoulte disgrace , I know how your feeling . I have been waiting since Jan11th for a supervisor call back about my on going BB issues .
    I have had 5 Tech call outs , all hardware changed , different packages tested and still no luck . So on the 11th Jan it was decided that a supervisor should get involved to plan next step ( problem bigger than just my house) I never received that call back! . I have called them on 18th Jan , Feb 7th and Feb 22nd only to be told the Supervisor is at a meeting or busy and will call shortly.

UPC is a SHAM of a company ( especially customer service) .

I also worked out how the have reduced their call waiting times , it's a bit if a trick to fool us .
    When you call for a Technical Querie and press the multitude of buttons ( 2 2 2 2 1. ) and even though you want Tech assistance and have indicated that , you still get a regular customer service ( non Tech) rep ? who immediatly puts you on hold for a min of 10 to 20 mins.
    That's bullsh*t in my mind , their records show a fast answer call ratio yet we still are on hold ??

Rant over
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My web browsing on the 30MB package with that awful Cisco 2425 router times out on loading pages for about 20-30secs every 5-10 minutes without downloads active.

Downloading is up to spec but web never loads even if one single download is active. Kill download and web loads instantly if the web timeout doesnt happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

gurramok wrote: »
    My web browsing on the 30MB package with that awful Cisco 2425 router times out on loading pages for about 20-30secs every 5-10 minutes without downloads active.

Downloading is up to spec but web never loads even if one single download is active. Kill download and web loads instantly if the web timeout doesnt happen!

You've turned off the Firewall in the Cisco right?
    While my speeds have been down lately, ever since turning off the Firewall I've not had any slow load times / time outs on page loads!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

We have an official Chorus/NTL rep now, and yet no comment from them?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=296435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Spear wrote: »

How come chorus ntl dont have a official forum yet-like vodafone or magnet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    How come chorus ntl dont have a official forum yet-like vodafone or magnet?

No point having a forum with just questions and no answers?

Spear wrote: »

LOL... Jason our Rep can be found hiding under his desk !... Brave man and fair play if he comes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I wonder who the hell Jason p***ed off to get this job.

I wonder who the hell Jason p***ed off to get this job.

I'd say he suggested the fibre power roll out ,now in purgatory .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is this just a cynical way of offering a bribe:rolleyes:?

Probably hidden away somewhere in the Terms and Conditions is that you have to leave boards and cant criticise them anymore!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement