Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭timefora_J

Seems that way dub45, after 97 pages of valid complaints, the only reply we get is a offer to sign up for BB package they may not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

timefora_J wrote: »
    Seems that way dub45, after 97 pages of valid complaints, the only reply we get is a offer to sign up for BB package they may not work.

Signed up for it (phone) , knowing that its not available in my area ;)
    Soon as I have em on the phone gonna ask why I am still waiting 6 weeks for a Supervisor call back , after calling 3 times about it .

Makes a pleasant change from calling them .

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

mixednuts wrote: »
    Signed up for it (phone) , knowing that its not available in my area ;)
    Soon as I have em on the phone gonna ask why I am still waiting 6 weeks for a Supervisor call back , after calling 3 times about it .

Makes a pleasant change from calling them .

M.

Good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

hi all,

does anyone have a contact email for marie barker the head of complaints @ upc, have major issues and their not getting resolved, the manager of the broadband support said he doesn't know whats going on and can't remember weather or not he rang me back. i need to get my bb issues sorted. there billing me for something that doesn't even work.

thanks for the help

spent 50 minutes on hold just there, its actually killing me, what does their boards rep do, as someone with extensive experience in the service industry this company is without fail the worst i have seen in action.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

timefora_J wrote: »

It seems quite incredible that if they were going to respond in any way that it would be with a 'special offer'. Talk about misjudgement.......

It is difficult to believe that any company can be so dysfunctional in relation to customer 'care'.

They appear to think that people are complete idiots and will put up with any old crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

macken04 wrote: »
    hi all,

does anyone have a contact email for marie barker the head of complaints @ upc, have major issues and their not getting resolved, the manager of the broadband support said he doesn't know whats going on and can't remember weather or not he rang me back. i need to get my bb issues sorted. there billing me for something that doesn't even work.

thanks for the help

spent 50 minutes on hold just there, its actually killing me, what does their boards rep do, as someone with extensive experience in the service industry this company is without fail the worst i have seen in action.

If you get that email nugget of gold , please let us all know it .... Plenty of folk here wouldn't mind dropping her a message or 20.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Spear wrote: »
    We have an official Chorus/NTL rep now, and yet no comment from them?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=296435

Will there be a queue?

Friends
    Chorus/ntl (Jason) has not made any friends yet
    Befriend Chorus/ntl (Jason)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

I am still within my 14 day cooling off period. Called Saturday-day of installation, still no call back.

Clock is ticking NTL.

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    I am still within my 14 day cooling off period. Called Saturday-day of installation, still no call back.

Clock is ticking NTL.

14 day? I thought it was 7

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    14 day? I thought it was 7

Oh good call, 7 it is. Rep on phone said it was 14.

If not done by thursday then I am cancelling.

734927059.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I'm getting great speeds now but the decline to 4Mb to 6Mb will commence after 12pm, unreal like still waiting on a call back from tech support to inform me on our line segmentation work.
    It was supposed to be carried out on week 7, then week 8 and now were midweek through week 9 and the speeds in the evenings are absolutely horrible to say the least.

I also see that we have a rep on Boards which is a good thing i hope but find it amazing that they hav'nt made themselves present on this thread to keep a couple of us folks updated on our general areas and future broadband interruptions due to upgrading works.

Hi Jason :D

735518856.png

Lastnight at 10pm :mad:

734981038.png

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Oh good call, 7 it is. Rep on phone said it was 14.

If not done by thursday then I am cancelling.

734927059.png

Well I got a call, shock horror. Well a missed call and a message. Aware of a problem in my area and will have it back up and running shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Just letting others affected by this slow speed issue know that I got a call from UPC today (I missed it but they left a message).

They told me that letters are being sent out to all customers that have been affected by the slow speed issues.

The letters will outline what the issues are, the cause behind the slow speeds & also when UPC expect to have a resolution in place.

It was only approx 2 weeks ago when I did manage to speak directly with their highest level tech / engineering support in Limerick that they informed me that they had no idea when a resolution would be in place - so maybe they've a plan in place now (hopefully).

The UPC customer care person also mentioned that UPC had applied an offer to my account regarding credit & the details would be in the letter.

Not sure if anyone else has had such a call from UPC yet ?

I've been contacting them fairly regularly to complain since Jan 7th!

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Just letting others affected by this slow speed issue know that I got a call from UPC today (I missed it but they left a message).

They told me that letters are being sent out to all customers that have been affected by the slow speed issues.

The letters will outline what the issues are, the cause behind the slow speeds & also when UPC expect to have a resolution in place.

It was only approx 2 weeks ago when I did manage to speak directly with their highest level tech / engineering support in Limerick that they informed me that they had no idea when a resolution would be in place - so maybe they've a plan in place now (hopefully).

The UPC customer care person also mentioned that UPC had applied an offer to my account regarding credit & the details would be in the letter.

Not sure if anyone else has had such a call from UPC yet ?

I've been contacting them fairly regularly to complain since Jan 7th!

After 2 months they have no idea when a resolution will be in place. I was told that by email and then they downgraded me back to 10mb without even asking me. I asked for even a rough timeframe, was it going to be weeks, months or over a year and they refused to even answer that. My speeds are fine daytime and then drop in the evening so I am still convinced it is contention and they only way they can fix it is to add more bandwidth. If you read the reports of their massive increase in customers of broadband (45% increase) I am sure they are just running out of bandwidth, but I doubt they will admit that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

After 2 months they have no idea when a resolution will be in place. I was told that by email and then they downgraded me back to 10mb without even asking me. I asked for even a rough timeframe, was it going to be weeks, months or over a year and they refused to even answer that. My speeds are fine daytime and then drop in the evening so I am still convinced it is contention and they only way they can fix it is to add more bandwidth. If you read the reports of their massive increase in customers of broadband (45% increase) I am sure they are just running out of bandwidth, but I doubt they will admit that

I agree 100% with what you've said - I have exactly the same experiences so don't worry I'm not jumping for joy yet nor am I expecting much in this letter (if indeed it arrives) but just thought I'd share he latest feedback I'd received from UPC.

I've had a horrible experience overall - mainly with the lack of information when I ask, the mis-information when I ask & the lack of internal communication between all their teams (techs & customer care). They really should have a public notice on their website acknowledging this issue etc..

With me any phone calls or emails I made were never put through to Tech Support people even. The first person always told me me they know there is a problem and that was it. So if they knew there was a problem without even investigating it for me assume they already know what the problem is i.e. contention. I really wouldn't mind if they would just give some information and a resolution timeframe, that way people can make informed decisions whether to stay and wait for a resolution, or move provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

i sent an email today demanding that any charges made to my account be refunded. address it to Marie barker. im getting less then 10mb on the 30mb package, with a ping of over 500ms and packet loss of 80%, nothing works.

spoke with the manager of support team save who told me he "doesn't know if he rang me back, he honestly doesn't know".

they cant tell me whats wrong because they don't know

there a disgrace i 1st got the bb 3 weeks ago and its a joke,

to finally really annoy me look at the response you get from the customer care mail

Our aim is to contact you within 3 working days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Oops i posted a result from amsterdam lastnight and probably would'nt be a true reflection of speeds closer to home so heres a Dublin result from lastnight,

734727058.png

And a quick one from now because i'm switching to our Eircom line for the rest of the night.

736021899.png
    736022908.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I'm sick and tired of UPC!!!! What a rubbish company!!
    I'm on 15Mb broadband and every evening their service is a joke.

736104774.png

11730302.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

same test to Dublin server

736115660.png

I just want to cancel this crap and go back to eircom. At least with Eircom on 3Mb i always had 3Mb!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm sick and tired of UPC!!!! What a rubbish company!!
    I'm on 15Mb broadband and every evening their service is a joke.

11730302.png

Turn off the IP flood protection will fix the packet loss at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

736313971.png

That above is UPC's 15MB package. Is there a shaking head smiley anywhere?! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

736323276.png

15mb :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

bryaner wrote: »
    Ref: 723110

Dear Bryan Smyth,

Thank you for your email. Please note that Existing customer's will be automatically migrated to New Speeds from 4th March. In the interim, customers can proactively opt-in to the New Fibre Power Broadband speeds in advance of automatic migration via the website form. www.upc.ie/fasterbroadband.

As you are currently subscribed to 10 Mb speed, So you will be automatically.changed to 15Mb speed from 4th March 2010. For details on all of Chorus ntl products and prices please visit www.upc.ie

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us on customer.support@upc.ie

Kind regards,
    Jomon

Chorus ntl Customer Support Team

Sounds fair enough to me

According to this, today is the big day...so when i get home hopefully i should get upgraded from 20meg to 30meg without having to sign up to another year.

Stevo105 wrote: »
    According to this, today is the big day...so when i get home hopefully i should get upgraded from 20meg to 30meg without having to sign up to another year.

not quite it says 'from the 4th March', which can mean anytime time from now to whenever.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Well spotted Tony....I'll just have to wait and see

I was getting about 6meg last night, i havent gotten the full 20meg since about October of last year, im hope that with the extra 10 i might get the average up to over the 15meg mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well my 10mb line has been pretty much perfect for me over the past year - they better not mess it up with this 'upgrade' (and I use the term lightly...)

They already fecked up our house phone making changes for the upgrade, and had to reset the router yesterday just to get the phone to work - hadn't worked for 3 days because of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

736752631.png

Thats as good as I've ever got on the 20 Mbs line. I'm getting similar at peak times as well. Don't know if I even want this upgrade with all the potential for screwups. A consistent 20 Mbs speed would be far preferable to a hit and miss 30 Mbs. Thats my tuppence worth.

Stevo105 wrote: »
    Well spotted Tony....I'll just have to wait and see

I was getting about 6meg last night, i havent gotten the full 20meg since about October of last year, im hope that with the extra 10 i might get the average up to over the 15meg mark

I am actually dreading their starting the upgrade now as the problems when only a minority of the customers upgraded, were and are very bad. I reckon still a lot of it is contention, and now with more people getting more bandwidth reckon it will only get worse. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I am actually dreading their starting the upgrade now as the problems when only a minority of the customers upgraded, were and are very bad. I reckon still a lot of it is contention, and now with more people getting more bandwidth reckon it will only get worse. :(

+1 for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement