Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Nice Xmas present you got there from UPC,

I had an engineer to my house today and he ran a seperate line for my broadband to my house so we have 1 line for the digital and another line individually for the broadband, with no splitting whatsoever,

it wont be installed tho until the 2nd january which is saturday and i made my request for an automatic upgrade to the 30mb package and the lady said there'll be no problem there just get the installer to request it when its been activated.

Fingers crossed now that i get nice fast speeds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lan Di

Is this in avalible in Galway?

Hey Lan Di go to the UPC website and input your address details and it'll tell you if your area is covered. www.upc.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jolly85

Saadyst wrote: »
    I have a few questions about UPC if anyone can help?

I know that DSL is contended, and so is cable to an extent. However it seems that contention is incredibly fierce where I live (Shankill, Co. Dublin) so much that Eircom slows to a crawl. If I'm playing an FPS and someone else in the house browses the internet, my pings shoot up into the hundreds. This is typically during peak times, which I understand. I do get the full 7mb during the day, but in the evenings, forget it.

However, I'm wondering would the same thing be noticed on UPC? In the UK, I never experienced contention to such a high level, so I'm hoping that although cable might be contended, it won't be as bad as Eircom have it - i.e. I can go about my own business on my computer, and anyone else in the house can go about theirs without everyone suffering.

Obviously downloading has a greater effect on the overall connection, but I'm just talking about web browsing etc being possible on multiple computers.

Secondly, as I've an Eircom contract, how long does this typically run for? I've the 7mb since May/June I believe. What are the penalties for early cancellation if I'm still in contract?

Thirdly, I have UPC digital TV, and I'm thinking of adding broadband to it (they just recently upgraded I think) - I'm guessing this will stick a 12month contract on me for both TV/internet? Early cancellation fees?

Anything else I should be aware of, if ordering? I read a few bits here and there about the router they use, not being so good..?

Thanks for any help.

Just to answer a few of your question's;
    Eircom's contention ratio is 48:1
    UPC contention ratio is 17:1

Adding UPC broadband to your digital TV pack, your TV contract will remain in place, but a new contract will commence for the broadband. Therefore having 2 seperate contracts.

The router is fibre optic and if you don't go with UPC's router, I think they sell them in PC world, not sure if it's the same brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jolly85

Lan Di wrote: »
    Is this in avalible in Galway?

Galway, Limerick, Dublin, Cork, Waterford Cities have all 3 services.

Some towns have all 3 too, one I know for definate is Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Just bought the new NETGEAR WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Broadband Router "for a good price" in preparation to get the 30mb in January, Can you order a modem only when signing up! or does UPC supplies modem/router combo only. I hope I did the right thing and didn't wast my money buying state of the art router before even getting the service installed:D
    oh and what modem would I expect to get when I sign up
    Cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

kamin99 wrote: »
    Just bought the new NETGEAR WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Broadband Router "for a good price" in preparation to get the 30mb in January, Can you order a modem only when signing up! or does UPC supplies modem/router combo only. I hope I did the right thing and didn't wast my money buying state of the art router before even getting the service installed:D
    oh and what modem would I expect to get when I sign up
    Cheers lads

If you're getting either of the top 2 speeds you get a free wireless router. Generally an all in one Cisco job, but if they have none you get a Scientific Atlanta Modem with a Netgear WGR Wireless router. The latter is the much better option.

WOOHOO, just got it installed :D:D:D:D:D

659959436.png

NothingMan wrote: »
    If you're getting either of the top 2 speeds you get a free wireless router. Generally an all in one Cisco job, but if they have none you get a Scientific Atlanta Modem with a Netgear WGR Wireless router. The latter is the much better option.

Cheers NothingMan, Going for the 30mb in Jan. and hope they II'l give me a modem only as I hear the Cisco combo job cant not be configured to act as an access point only. I want to use my own router;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

hightower1 wrote: »
    You haven't looked at the whole picture at all, NL is considered to be one of the top tier regions for IP infrastructure in the world, competition and ease of delivering / maintaining speeds like this versus in Ireland.
    On considering all that UPC are offering far better value for money that you realise.

I live in the Netherlands and the exact same problem with LLU exists here with KPN as it does in Ireland with Eircom. While the choice in the Randstad is great (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague) its not great everywhere else, i.e. Brabant and Limburg.

Regardless, when its Sterling to Euro comparison everyone loses it saying they're getting ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

can i ask where you got a good price on this?

Just bought the new NETGEAR WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Broadband Router "for a good price" in QUOTE]

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    can i ask where you got a good price on this?

Just bought the new NETGEAR WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Broadband Router "for a good price" in QUOTE]

sure Pixmania
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/wndr3700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

John2009 wrote: »
    Hey Lan Di go to the UPC website and input your address details and it'll tell you if your area is covered. www.upc.ie

Don't believe the website though . Said I could get all 3 services but when I rang up couldn't get the phone in .best to ring 1908

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

craichoe wrote: »
    I live in the Netherlands and the exact same problem with LLU exists here with KPN as it does in Ireland with Eircom. While the choice in the Randstad is great (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague) its not great everywhere else, i.e. Brabant and Limburg.

Regardless, when its Sterling to Euro comparison everyone loses it saying they're getting ripped off.

Why are you stating the issue with llu which is not relevant to UPC who are a fibre provider as opposed to dsl? This isnt relevant to UPC in any way.

Also as I stated earlier yes if you only look at the straight conversion rate of currency it SEEMS like a rip off but if you also apply conversion for the infrastructure between NL and IRL you then give the correct value for money comparison. Your not taking the whole situ into your calculations only the black and white currency.

Uptake is higher in NL meaning more revenue available,
    maintenance is easier in NL geographically,
    skilled workforce to implement the sale,
    support and maintenance of the network is greater in number ,
    cost also factors into it for both workforce and materials,
    Competition is greater in NL,
    amount of time NL has had widespread access to broadband,
    Also noting UPC home region is NL,
    Not to mention the revenue needed to fuel the aggressive expansion of the IRL upc network which is at 94 million eur for the last two years now.....

All of these factors to name a few need to be taken into account not just "this is how much they pay this is how much we pay" mentality.

Eg - Electronics are cheaper in Japan in flat conversion terms are we ripped off? Of coarse not simply because its cheaper ship, manufacture, test, stock, sell electronics from JAP than EUR.

UPC are killing all other providers in IRL and fortunately managing to simultaneously provide value for money and as per the topic here the FOURTH FREE upgrade for two years running now.

Hmm i'm not so happy now :mad:, this with the laptop plug into the cisco router

660372788.png

And this is wireless but next to the router with the ethernet cable plugged out

660375892.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Why are you stating the issue with llu which is not relevant to UPC who are a fibre provider as opposed to dsl? This isnt relevant to UPC in any way.

Also as I stated earlier yes if you only look at the straight conversion rate of currency it SEEMS like a rip off but if you also apply conversion for the infrastructure between NL and IRL you then give the correct value for money comparison. Your not taking the whole situ into your calculations only the black and white currency.

Uptake is higher in NL meaning more revenue available,
    maintenance is easier in NL geographically,
    skilled workforce to implement the sale,
    support and maintenance of the network is greater in number ,
    cost also factors into it for both workforce and materials,
    Competition is greater in NL,
    amount of time NL has had widespread access to broadband,
    Also noting UPC home region is NL,
    Not to mention the revenue needed to fuel the aggressive expansion of the IRL upc network which is at 94 million eur for the last two years now.....

All of these factors to name a few need to be taken into account not just "this is how much they pay this is how much we pay" mentality.

Eg - Electronics are cheaper in Japan in flat conversion terms are we ripped off? Of coarse not simply because its cheaper ship, manufacture, test, stock, sell electronics from JAP than EUR.

UPC are killing all other providers in IRL and fortunately managing to simultaneously provide value for money and as per the topic here the FOURTH FREE upgrade for two years running now.

How could I be ripped off, I live in Brabant, i use UPC.

I'm merely stating that the people on Boards stated RIP OFF when the conversion from Sterling -> Euro, but don't when its Euro -> Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

craichoe wrote: »
    How could I be ripped off, I live in Brabant, i use UPC.

I'm merely stating that the people on Boards stated RIP OFF when the conversion from Sterling -> Euro, but don't when its Euro -> Euro.

???? I never said YOU were being ripped off??? The whole issue was about the sterling to euro conversion of broadband products and didnt deviate from that to euro to euro? What i AM saying is in terms of ease of delivering the product from headend to home in the NL region as opposed to the headend to home in IRL is why the price structure would be different and once all the critical factors are taken into account they seem to be right in line with UPC NL and beating all other Irish ISP's in terms of value for money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

?Once all the critical factors are taken into account they seem to be right in line with UPC NL and beating all other Irish ISP's in terms of value for money.

They are not "right in line" with UPC NL but they are beating eircom because UPC IE are under no pricing presssure with eircom Line Rental @ €26 a month adn can get away with the fat margin and grow and invest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the upc info channel has been updated about the 30mb 15mb and 5mb will be the new broadband packs

the broadband packs are now called fibre power broadband

not on the website yet

15mb - 32 euro
    30mb - 42 euro

didn't catch the 5mb price

it looks like the price hasn't changed

also they are now quoting a new website address www.fibrepower.ie
    it just seems to redirect to www.upc.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the upc info channel has been updated about the 30mb 15mb and 5mb will be the new broadband packs

the broadband packs are now called fibre power broadband

not on the website yet

15mb - 32 euro
    30mb - 42 euro

didn't catch the 5mb price

it looks like the price hasn't changed

also they are now quoting a new website address www.fibrepower.ie
    it just seems to redirect to www.upc.ie

Does it mention anything about upload speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Does it mention anything about upload speeds?

in a matter of fact it dosent

one would assume that there would be an increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

It will be 30/3Mb, 15/1.5Mb and 5/.5Mb if I remember correctly.

Just ordered 10 meg other day due to be installed 4th of jan , will I have to ring up to get upgraded to 15 meg ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Just ordered 10 meg other day due to be installed 4th of jan , will I have to ring up to get upgraded to 15 meg ?

Im in the same boat except i ordered the 20mb will it be 30 straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Ordered it yesterday.. rang up and asked if I would be put on the new 30mb straight away, was advised that ONLY orders made from next Monday would have instant upgrades, othewise you are looking at 2-3 months delay. :)

Cancelled.. calling back on Monday :D

Ordered it yesterday.. rang up and asked if I would be put on the new 30mb straight away, was advised that ONLY orders made from next Monday would have instant upgrades, othewise you are looking at 2-3 months delay. :)

Cancelled.. calling back on Monday :D

Hope your wrong :(
    fcukers txt me an cancelled my appointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muntijaqi

I tried to submit my order on monday but the system said there was not any available product. I dont know whether that means my address area is not covered by Chorus or there is not any chance to get 10MB 32EUR+6 (no TV) product anymore because of this next upgrade..

I will try again on monday 4th :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Can anyone confirm if existing 10mb customers are getting a free upgrade to the 15mb ?

Also has the upload speeds changed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement