Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Well i got home and restarted my webstar cable modem and sure enough my 20meg line is still not great (not a peak time test). so i didnt get my auto upgrade..maybe tomorrow.

737129886.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I am actually dreading their starting the upgrade now as the problems when only a minority of the customers upgraded, were and are very bad. I reckon still a lot of it is contention, and now with more people getting more bandwidth reckon it will only get worse. :(

Surely they would be even more incompetent than we know them to be if they proceeded with the upgrade?

By putting customers back onto their previous product they are effectively admitting that the new product does not work. Any company with a shred of self respect, not to mention concern for their customers, would have suspended marketing and selling the product until the obvious problems had been sorted.

Again if we had any sort of decent consumer protection they would have been forced to do this:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

marie barker has failed to respond to my complaint within 3 working days as quoted, the person from their refunds department has also failed to respond to me within the quoted time frame.

i will no be taking up a complaint with comreg and the other relevant authorities siting breach of contract, false charges (as i was informed i would not be charged for the period while it was not working) and false and missleading advertising.

i will be quoteing the duty manager from broadband support who said " they are aware that users are not getting no where near the full speed and have sever issues with the 30mb product since lunch, we are not yet aware of the cause and cannot provide you with any other information."

to me this shows prior knowledge of issue thus they are breaking the sale of goods and supply of services act by entering a contract which they are aware prior to my transaction they will not be able to fulfill the toc of. there statement that they can not be held responsible for loss of service does not apply in this case as to apply it would be a breach of my statutory rights.

anyone wanting to enter into the complaints process with me, pm me and we can enter a joint complaint

dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I am actually dreading their starting the upgrade now as the problems when only a minority of the customers upgraded, were and are very bad. I reckon still a lot of it is contention, and now with more people getting more bandwidth reckon it will only get worse. :(

I was told a technician was sent out to fix the problem and I didn't need to be at home as the problem was outside. I told them they've sent out a number of technicians to fix a problem outside and they've all reported the problem as fix but its never fixed.

I told them to get the technician to call into the house, verify the problem, fix what ever and check if the problem is fix. I gave them my office number to ring as they often say they tried to ring me but there was no answer even though no calls from them where missed. I went home for lunch on Monday and this is what I found

IMAG0237.jpg

I rang UPC and after a long conversation they got the same technician to met me at my house. He check everything and changed the modem and the problem was still there. He called me the next day and said they had found out my line has to many modems connected on it and that the engineers where going to move half of them. He didn't know how long this would take as its not part of his job, at least they now know what the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Seems like my line has being sorted :D, also got a new IP address while this issue was being fixed.
    Everything seems good with speeds so far, they just need to sort out my upload and happy days :p
    A few results just taking there all wired directly to the modem.

738492450.png
    738493024.png
    738493744.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yep I lost all internet connection the other morning so I rebooted modem now it seems I have a new IP address and better speeds with the exception of upload which I can live with

738507525.png

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I'm pleased for you Tony, hopefully now it stays this way for everyone that got their lines sorted and everyone else thats waiting i hope that ye are'nt waiting long more.

MagnetResult.png

We love you UPC :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Just got upc 30 mb today and I only seem to be getting about 10-15mbs today. I disabled that IP flood thing and got my line quality from an F to a B. Hopefully I start getting better speeds soon :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

John2009 wrote: »
    We love you UPC :p;)

I don't:mad:

739634308.png11962937.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Im quite content with speeds, its the connection dropping that annoys me. Impossible to play online games the way it is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've always had that problem with my NTL. Random drops and slowdowns. Almost impossible to game with it. I can only do it late at night. Even then last night I got dropped in the middle of a COD game.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

740659422.png

Downgraded to minimum, not these speeds lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Alleluia, I have just seen guys laying new UPC cables in my estate :) Please god this means the problems will be over soon.

Alleluia, I have just seen guys laying new UPC cables in my estate :) Please god this means the problems will be over soon.

A triumph of optimism over experience:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

dub45 wrote: »
    A triumph of optimism over experience:)

Well would assume that they are not going to expense of laying new cables just to fill a bit of time......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just wondering if theres any news on when the auto-upgrade is taking place. I know it said March 4 onwards, but has anyone who didn't volunteer for the upgrade been switched to 30 Mbs yet ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

ive now passed my complaint regarding upc onto comreg i hope more will fallow suit. senior management @upc needs to be held responsible for their lack of service and hiding behind lower support staff. they have neglected consumers and at times been out and out disrespectful.

we should stand for this, no more crap and excuses from upc. eider give us a working product or cancel our contacts and refund us any fees charged while said product failed to work as advertised.

hope that boards rep or someone from upc reads this, their marketing director should be shoot for letting such a public out cry go unanswered anyone thinking of getting upc broadband who reads this thread would think twice i believe

12087118.png

741414160.png

Downgraded to 5 meg package.

Well would assume that they are not going to expense of laying new cables just to fill a bit of time......:)

Well apparently they have been putting in lots of new cables all over the place and look where it got them:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

:D ok I have to laugh, do I get a prize for this one... on my 15 mb upgrade? That speeds lower than a snakes ass going up a hill....

741719874.png

:rolleyes: Oops no, I apologise to all the boards members for my previous post. I was rash and overly hasty in all the excitement of seeing the slow speed... it just got "better". My glorious and wonderful ISP has yet again amazed me......

741725235.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Looks like I've just been upgraded because my speed has dropped.

From a steady 10.0Mbit/s for years; now down to 5.4Mbit/s.

Also IP changed from 89.x.x.x range to 109.x.x.x, with no reverse DNS set up.

Utter pig's ear. Has someone forgot to plug something into the wall at NTL? Or are management too busy scamming the public with direct debits that change every month?

cruibin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Oops no, I apologise to all the boards members for my previous post. I was rash and overly hasty in all the excitement of seeing the slow speed... it just got "better". My glorious and wonderful ISP has yet again amazed me......

741725235.png

I dont know what you are moaning about your upload speed has gone up by 10% between the two posts!!!! :D

dub45 wrote: »
    I dont know what you are moaning about your upload speed has gone up by 10% between the two posts!!!! :D

Yes Dub45 you are indeed correct, I will call my ISP later today , wait 40 mins to get through to the wonderful tech support, wait another 5 mins to get one of the competant management team - so I can thank them from the bottom of my heart for the increase in upload speed .:D

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Looks like I've just been upgraded because my speed has dropped.
    .........?

Do boards accept nominations for quotes of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Utter pig's ear.YES

Has someone forgot to plug something into the wall at NTL? YES

Or are management too busy scamming the public with direct debits that change every month? ABSOLUTELY YES !

Welcome to Club !

Complete shambles. on 5 meg, last night ping was 250, upload 100k download 400k.

Warning to everyone who is thinking about going UPC and hoping these problems will not affect you, they will, stay well away!

:eek: Cant believe it, I got 14mb on a speedtest this morning at 6am. Am going to change my working hours, so I can enjoy those speeds more often.

Now if I convince my boss that I can do shift, I'll get extra money and high speed bb!! Thx UPC, you may just have earned me some extra cash with your brilliant service....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Are these problems specific to Dublin area? Im in Galway and am thinking of getting the 15mb package, just the broadband without TV or is there someone else I should be getting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement