Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Got a letter from them today saying about the problems and that I will be charged half price for the next 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Got a letter from them today saying about the problems and that I will be charged half price for the next 2 months

What was their excuse for the problems ? I need a cheap laugh.:)

What was their excuse for the problems ? I need a cheap laugh.:)

No excuse given, just that they are taking steps to address and resolve the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No excuse given, just that they are taking steps to address and resolve the issue.

ahh..the pitter patter of baby steps........:rolleyes:

Good news about the half price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

Got same letter...
    (...)we would like to assure you that our engineers are working to ensure you receive acceptable broadband speeds in the very near future(...)

Next week, next month or next year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I realise that I am a persistent critic of theirs to say the least but isn't it quite incredible that any company would have launched a major product like this without adequate testing?

And it is equally mindboggling or perhaps even more mindbogglling that they are allowed to continue to sell it! www.upc.ie.

And to demonstrate their total indifference to the public they recently offered
    boardsies a bribe to take up this very product that they are now apologising for!
    (they must have been preparing those letters while this offer was being dreamed up by the way!)

dub45 wrote: »
    I realise that I am a persistent critic of theirs to say the least but isn't it quite incredible that any company would have launched a major product like this without adequate testing?

And it is equally mindboggling or perhaps even more mindbogglling that they are allowed to continue to sell it! www.upc.ie.

And to demonstrate their total indifference to the public they recently offered
    boardsies a bribe to take up this very product that they are now apologising for!
    (they must have been preparing those letters while this offer was being dreamed up by the way!)

Not everyone has problems with the upgrade.

Not everyone has problems with the upgrade.

I dont think that's particularly relevanat. If they have been shamed into writing to people there must be very significant numbers affected. This surely indicates that it wasnt tested properly before launch and secondly they shouldnt go on selling it as it is a demonstrably defective product that they obviously havent a clue how to get right in the short term anyway.

I dont think that's particularly relevanat. If they have been shamed into writing to people there must be very significant numbers affected. This surely indicates that it wasnt tested properly before launch and secondly they shouldnt go on selling it as it is a demonstrably defective product that they obviously havent a clue how to get right in the short term anyway.

All broadband is like that, if that was the case no one would be allowed sell it as some people don't get what is advertised.

All broadband is like that, if that was the case no one would be allowed sell it as some people don't get what is advertised.

With all due repects to your good self that is complete nonsense! Selling a product that consistently worsens the performance of what people have been experiencing up to the upgrade????????

As someone wrote earlier in the thread 'I must have been upgraded my speed has decreased! or words to that effect.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

With all due repects to your good self that is complete nonsense! Selling a product that consistently worsens the performance of what people have been experiencing up to the upgrade????????

As someone wrote earlier in the thread 'I must have been upgraded my speed has decreased! or words to that effect.:rolleyes:

How do you know it consistently worsens the service?? They currently have over 150,000 broadband customers, how many have been affected by this????

[QUOTE=IrishTonyO;64847125
    ]How do you know it consistently worsens the service?? They currently have over 150,000 broadband customers, how many have been affected by this????[/QUOTE]

What is the thread about? Why are they writing to people apologising? How many people have posted on here saying that they have got a good consistent speed since they were upgraded? (Apart from at godforsaken hourse of the day!)

What is the thread about? Why are they writing to people apologising? How many people have posted on here saying that they have got a good consistent speed since they were upgraded? (Apart from at godforsaken hourse of the day!)

calculate the percentage, number of posters here out of a customer base of 150,000 +

calculate the percentage, number of posters here out of a customer base of 150,000 +

There are none so blind:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I dont see how such a percentage would be an accurate reflection of the number of problems encountered by UPC users?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A lot of people probably don't even know they have problems with their UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Just letting others affected by this slow speed issue know that I got a call from UPC today (I missed it but they left a message).

They told me that letters are being sent out to all customers that have been affected by the slow speed issues.

The letters will outline what the issues are, the cause behind the slow speeds & also when UPC expect to have a resolution in place.

It was only approx 2 weeks ago when I did manage to speak directly with their highest level tech / engineering support in Limerick that they informed me that they had no idea when a resolution would be in place - so maybe they've a plan in place now (hopefully).

The UPC customer care person also mentioned that UPC had applied an offer to my account regarding credit & the details would be in the letter.

Not sure if anyone else has had such a call from UPC yet ?

I've been contacting them fairly regularly to complain since Jan 7th!

Finally got my letter today March 10th 2010 (attached) - like others here..

As usual the letter did NOT have the content I was told it would have - eg

Quote from UPC Customer Care Rep who left me the message:

"...The letters will outline what the issues are, the cause behind the slow speeds & also when UPC expect to have a resolution in place...."

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niall0s

Got my letter today too :)

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Finally got my letter today March 10th 2010 (attached) - like others here..

As usual the letter did NOT have the content I was told it would have - eg

Quote from UPC Customer Care Rep who left me the message:

"...The letters will outline what the issues are, the cause behind the slow speeds & also when UPC expect to have a resolution in place...."

Apart from writing vague letters does anyone know what a "customer life cycle manager" would actually do?

It sounds like someone out of a science fiction novel who you might report
    to if you wanted a new body or something?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Was it everyone you logged a call to Chorus NTL tech support who got the letter ?

I got mine too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

I logged calls to Tech support, asked them to downgrade me to 20Mb until it was all sorted... my speeds returned to 19Mb/s D 1.3Mb/s U. Happy with that.

Didn't receive a letter, but checked my bill online and was given 2 months BB half price.

I asked Tech Support to let me know when its all sorted and upgrade me again.

I'm still in awe of a 'IT' company getting an upgrade so wrong, its almost as if there was no testing (We were the test-bed!) Are they at the limits of their node/exchange/network equipment? The upgrade from 10Mb->20Mb was flawless a year or 2 back, whats the fundamental difference between it and an upgrade from 20Mb->30Mb? Guess I've answered my own question here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Still going strong here thank god, bit of a dip in speed but i suppose were at peak usage period in the evening.

744199752.png
    744198310.png
    Isoresult.png

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

John2009 wrote: »
    Still going strong here thank god, bit of a dip in speed but i suppose were at peak usage period in the evening.

744199752.png
    744198310.png
    Isoresult.png

I HATE YOU
    744241672.png

12268153.png

@ CS Hasuki turn off the firewall on your modem, if its the Cisco EPC2425 then thats where your getting the bad packet loss and shlte ping results.

Don't hate me :p hate UPC, i'm only with them just over 2 months and i badgered them every week for updates and fix times until i was informed about 3-4 weeks ago that our lines were due to be segmented and transfered over to newer equipment and since last week its all good so far.

Keep on to them, make sure your compensated for the disasterous drop in speeds i.e discounted bills etc. I have recieved a 20euro reduction in this months bill for the crap speeds during january and the lady from CS said that for february will be a 20euro reduction next month. Hope that helps.

@ CS Hasuki turn off the firewall on your modem, if its the Cisco EPC2425 then thats where your getting the bad packet loss and shlte ping results.

Don't hate me :p hate UPC, i'm only with them just over 2 months and i badgered them every week for updates and fix times until i was informed about 3-4 weeks ago that our lines were due to be segmented and transfered over to newer equipment and since last week its all good so far.

Keep on to them, make sure your compensated for the disasterous drop in speeds i.e discounted bills etc. I have recieved a 20euro reduction in this months bill for the crap speeds during january and the lady from CS said that for february will be a 20euro reduction next month. Hope that helps.

No it is nothing to do with that. Get max speeds and A ping score off peak(6am) Same on and off, I have had no probs with modem, unlike some people. Yea LOL, I have been hounding. Spoke to same girl 3 days in a row lol, I could hear her sigh when I give her account details.

FIREWALL OFF FYI
    12269218.png

Edited got my info from above poster.

Firewall off and those are your results, thats bad pretty bad.
    What package are you on with them?

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    ............. Spoke to same girl 3 days in a row lol, I could hear her sigh when I give her account details.

Aw shucks!;)

Firewall off and those are your results, thats bad pretty bad.
    What package are you on with them?

I was o the 15-wanted to try first to see if I would get the speed. No joy. On 7th day of contract rather than cancel I demanded free downgrade to 5meg because of speeds, got it.
    5 meg, exact same speeds. Only had it 2 weeks and racked up mabye 4 hours in calls to them already.

• Advertisement

Aw shucks!;)

LOL yea it was"I don't like you, you don't like me" moment.
    I said, just put me through to tech support, lets not talk about this again.

She did. Started on hold at a 8:45 ish, hung up at 10:15 as they close at 10pm. God bless free Ireland calls.

Oh another thing. Another day I DID get through to someone in tech support, they tried to sell me a tv package, I lol'd.

I find myself these days humming the hold music randomly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement