Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

757715618.png

13153790.png

LOL one of my better runs. Firewall & flood off BTW.

13153867.png

13153906.png

13154077.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

I am receiving 10-20% of the service.(15Mb)
    757722265.png
    13154326.png
    I am not happy to pay 50%:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/757725366.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]757725366.png

15mb line with firewall and wireless connection @ 50% output power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I'm not looking forward to the upgrade if they don't sort this mess out. This is what I am getting on the 20Mbps product currently:

758121865.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm not an upgrade bunny either....20 Mbs also

758152233.png

Could do without the down upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Interesting...In galway, and got the upgrade a few weeks back from 20mb to 30mb. Since the upgrade connection has been pretty flakey (packet loss, slower speeds than the 20 etc). Yesterday, rebooted the modem (as I have been doing for last few weeks more or less daily), and I'm now on 109.255.*.* IP space (was on 89.*.*.*)...speeds are now solid, no disconnects and no packet loss. I dare to dream the issues may be over for me.

(Curiously, the new IP range makes speedtest.net want to default to a Dublin server as opposed to previous Galway server)

758324325.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

30 Meg line installed on Monday
    759271187.png

13 minutes later........

759279593.png

3 minutes later..........

759281684.png

AND...3 minutes LATER!!!!!

759283830.png

lol. Anyone get any issues resolved yet? Told them to fix it or I am cancelling. I have an engineer coming tomorrow. I am not getting my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    lol. Anyone get any issues resolved yet? Told them to fix it or I am cancelling. I have an engineer coming tomorrow. I am not getting my hopes up.

I had two "engineers" here also,problem never fixed,so in the end I went to 15mb from 30mb,as I'm not paying 42 euro for something I'm not getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Received this via email:

"Dear Tony,

Thank you for your patience regarding the slow speed issue with your broadband service. We are not happy that a valued customer may not be receiving the the service they expect and we would like to assure you that we have identified the issue and our engineers are in the process of resolving the problem.

To thank you for your continued loyalty we have amended your account so that you will be billed at half price for your broadband service for the next two months. You do not have to do anything as this discount will be applied to your account automatically from your next billing date."

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 buizorg87

Hi,
    I’m Thinking of Getting UPC & I live in North Dublin. I am sharing an apartment with 4 other lads & wondering If I get 30mb Broadband for example: 1. Will I reach full speeds in my area??

also will my 30mb wireless connection be split between 4 people so everyone is getting around 7.5mb ( 30mb/4) or should will all be getting around 28mb’s each???

Cheers

cbr900 wrote: »
    I had two "engineers" here also,problem never fixed,so in the end I went to 15mb from 30mb,as I'm not paying 42 euro for something I'm not getting.

TBH its no good for me. I have tried all 3 packages thus far. Same results for all of them peak times.
    Xbox live is unplayable. My Gears 2 stats have taken a hammering since I went UPC lol.

buizorg87 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’m Thinking of Getting UPC & I live in North Dublin. I am sharing an apartment with 4 other lads & wondering If I get 30mb Broadband for example: 1. Will I reach full speeds in my area??

also will my 30mb wireless connection be split between 4 people so everyone is getting around 7.5mb ( 30mb/4) or should will all be getting around 28mb’s each???

Cheers

I seen people in D1 getting good speeds. Put up your post code and some people will surely let you know. All should get 28(assuming you can get the full speeds) Of course if you guys are all using at the same time and downloading it will be slower.

I seen people in D1 getting good speeds. Put up your post code and some people will surely let you know. All should get 28(assuming you can get the full speeds) Of course if you guys are all using at the same time and downloading it will be slower.

Thanks for the reply.

Its Dublin 9!!

Also what do I need for the Connection? In terms of phoneline & that??

I know with eircom that the line is not split so if I am downloading a file in my house, And someone else is downloading a file on their computer it doesn’t affect the download speedJ

Also how is UPC with xbox/Ps3 connections?

Thanks for the reply.

Its Dublin 9!!

Also what do I need for the Connection? In terms of phoneline & that??

I know with eircom that the line is not split so if I am downloading a file in my house, And someone else is downloading a file on their computer it doesn’t affect the download speedJ

Also how is UPC with xbox/Ps3 connections?

Cable broadband, no phone line needed. With Eircom, it would be slower if you are downloading at a rate higher than your max download speed. higher download speeds, less chance of slowdown. When it works its fine for Live and psn, but as you can see with this forum, HUGE problems at the moment. It is widespread and I would not recommend UPC if your a gamer especially, my LIVE is unplayable at the moment at peak times.

Cable broadband, no phone line needed. With Eircom, it would be slower if you are downloading at a rate higher than your max download speed. higher download speeds, less chance of slowdown. When it works its fine for Live and psn, but as you can see with this forum, HUGE problems at the moment. It is widespread and I would not recommend UPC if your a gamer especially, my LIVE is unplayable at the moment at peak times.

Cool so I should get a fairly good connection from a 30mb line in D9????? I’d be happy with 27/28mb TBH. Cool, The only thing I would use the XBOX for is sky player? Would this be affected by the problems of xbox live?

Last Question , How long should it take to get in installed when I order it considering Living in Dublin 9?

Thanks

Cool so I should get a fairly good connection from a 30mb line in D9????? I’d be happy with 27/28mb TBH. Cool, The only thing I would use the XBOX for is sky player? Would this be affected by the problems of xbox live?

Last Question , How long should it take to get in installed when I order it considering Living in Dublin 9?

Thanks

doubt it mate. most places seem to be having problems. Yes it would be affected by the broadband speeds. Lots of people all over dublin are on 30meg and at peak times can barely pull 2 megs. I would hold off until someone in Dublin 9 posts their speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If they're using the 1 router, split between them, they will only get 30/4 each (technically) if all using at the same time.

If only 1 is using at any time, you will get full speeds obviously.

But of course, its not quite that linear. i.e if someone is dowloading a big file, but you're only browsing the web, you will get less bandwidth than the person downloading etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Dublin 7 results below..pinging to dublin & dutch servers,..lots of issues at my location over the last week or so but seems to be sorted now,...
    760519022.png
    760520823.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

lensman wrote: »
    Dublin 7 results below..pinging to dublin & dutch servers,..lots of issues at my location over the last week or so but seems to be sorted now,...
    760519022.png
    760520823.png

That is some speed. What modem do you have and what package are you on? Just getting selfish here as I have the 30mbs package!!!!

I'm on the 30mb fiber package with the Scientific Atlanta modem & I use my own Dlink wireless N router,...but belive me the service was sh*te for the last week/10 days,..often disconnecting & speed dropping to 0.5mb,..just tested it again see below..pinging to dutch servers often give faster speeds,..I think that where the UPC servers are located.
    760568101.png
    760571058.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...now I'm impressed :)

I'm on the 30mb fiber package with the Scientific Atlanta modem & I use my own Dlink wireless N router,...but belive me the service was sh*te for the last week/10 days,..often disconnecting & speed dropping to 0.5mb,..just tested it again see below..pinging to dutch servers often give faster speeds,..I think that where the UPC servers are located.
    760568101.png
    760571058.png

Brilliant download, but still no 3mb upload? what the hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Dublin 9 on 30mb

760964579.png

And then this result a few mins after the above.

760968727.png

And..

760970581.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

F*cking hell. Max I'll get is 24 with my sh*te EPC2425.. How did you get the scientific atlanta modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

miralize wrote: »
    F*cking hell. Max I'll get is 24 with my sh*te EPC2425.. How did you get the scientific atlanta modem?

They dont give them out anymore I think.

They used to give them out but they seemed to have changed now to the cisco one they give out now.

miralize wrote: »
    ntl gave it to me,..about 18mths 2yrs ago, around the same time they upgraded the packages.
    761073891.png
    761078095.png

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I just got it installed 2 months ago and I got the Scientific Atlanta. At the time when I placed the order I put in for the phone as well but when they came to install I told the eng i wanted to cancel the phone. Dont know if ordering the phone as well depends on which modem you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

ntl gave it to me,..about 18mths 2yrs ago, around the same time they upgraded the packages.
    761073891.png
    761078095.png

What actually speeds are you getting from either rapidshare or a iso file from the like of Heanet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement