Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

on a good day between 2.5 ~2.7mb per sec on RS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

lensman wrote: »
    on a good day between 2.5 ~2.7mb per sec on RS

So feck all, relatively speaking, to the speedtest snapshot which you posted. ;)

dodzy wrote: »
    So feck all, relatively speaking, to the speedtest snapshot which you posted. ;)
    do you understand how download speeds are calculated 2.5 ~ 2.7Mb per sec is all you'll get from a 30MB connection,..quite good in fact,..think of your actual download speed as 1/10th of the advertised speed....BTW the speed snapshots i posted are megabits (Mb) not megabytes (MB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

it seems I have symetric broadband connection:confused:
    762245323.png

ryball wrote: »
    it seems I have symetric broadband connection:confused:
    762245323.png
    nicely balanced I'd say,:D.......what package are you on ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ryball

lensman wrote: »
    nicely balanced I'd say,:D.......what package are you on ?

15Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

They put me back down on the 10mb until the problem is fixed and have to say I am getting 9.7 most times occasionally goes down to 7.5 or 8 peak times but much better speeds than I was getting on the 15Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    They put me back down on the 10mb until the problem is fixed and have to say I am getting 9.7 most times occasionally goes down to 7.5 or 8 peak times but much better speeds than I was getting on the 15Mb

Did the same for me a while ago this is what I'm getting at the min

http://www.speedtest.net/result/762263852.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

here's mine at the moment

762267140.png

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    here's mine at the moment

762267140.png

I was getting that untill the last few nights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

heres mine now nearly always get full speed :P

762269758.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Moved to a new place and it's good and bad (15Mbps package). Download speeds have improved but look at that upload time. It's making online gaming almost impossible. Will give them a ring Monday and see if they can sort it out.

762690439.png

767570953.png

I rang NTL earlier in the week to report the issue. They confirmed that there was a problem with the line and that they would send an engineer out on Thursday. Got a call from someone in NTL today to say that there was no need for the call out as there was a problem in the area and other people were affected.

I asked when the problem was likely to be resolved and didn't get a clear answer. This is both rediculous and extremely annoying. The internet as it stands is unpredictable and unusable most of the time. I'll give them a call later in the week and seek to not be billed until they fix the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

What part of Dublin is this problem area?

KenH wrote: »
    What part of Dublin is this problem area?

Dublin 7, I'm on the Navan Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

I rang UPC again today (every day) to complain about my 30mb super fibre powered broadband. Its running at 11mb in Greenhills Dublin 12. They told me that there was a letter on the way. They couldn't tell me when it was posted or when it will arrive. The letter will detail, credits to my account, why they cant provide speeds in my area and how they will resolve the issues.

UPC
    Useless Poxy Cyou next tuesdays

Wake up UPC. We are not putting up with your bull**** anymore.

Give us some real answers. Stop charging us for a service that you cant provide.

If you want a broken broadband & phone service, i can highly recommend these cowboys. They are the only company that reboot your modem when you are on a call (after waiting half an hour) which cuts you off as your phone is connected to the modem that they just rebooted.

Madly in anger with you

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm getting a pretty good broadband service from them in south Dublin. I'm glad I don't have my phones on the modem though as it reboots/updates randomly for about 5 minutes.....an average of once a day. I can understand it doing it in the dead of night, but not in the middle of the day. Come on....a little cop on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Cant complain about mine really! Its always top speed and never goes down. Im running the 30meg aswell with TV and phone.

The service itself is top notch for me but there administration is crazy.

I needed a digibox changed and a new point put in. So I had to make to seperate appointments for the same day and two different crews came out to do it. Talk about pissing away money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm getting a pretty good broadband service from them in south Dublin. I'm glad I don't have my phones on the modem though as it reboots/updates randomly for about 5 minutes.....an average of once a day. I can understand it doing it in the dead of night, but not in the middle of the day. Come on....a little cop on?

Try plugging your modem and/or router out at 4am for a few mins. Then plug it back in. It should drop at 4am then.

Try plugging your modem and/or router out at 4am for a few mins. Then plug it back in. It should drop at 4am then.

I actually have it on a timer that cuts out at 4am to 9am. The drop outs can happen at any time of the day. Totally random.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Thank you UPC for your 15Mb line i'm paying for, thank you very much!

770711333.png

Fat Fingers....do you ever get a good rate? If not, are you using the UPC USB wireless adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

15meg in DL, Co Dublin
    771438640.png

14056689.png

Speed is great. But the line quality appears to be a little low.

I was getting the same pingtests. However, if you disable the IP flood detection in the modem settings (firewall setup), it goes up to an A. Pingtest.net subjects the modem to abnormally large packet flow which doesn't really simulate normal browsing. The modem thinks it's an attack and so restricts it. Since it's not affecting download speed, I'd leave it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Gotcha. I turned that setting off and it's now up to what it should be

14070277.png

Thank you UPC for your 15Mb line i'm paying for, thank you very much!

770711333.png

Get put back onto the 10meg till they sort the 15 out i did and mine is flying since

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

772261209.png

30 meg D2. Well they have done some work so far I think. I used to be getting pings of 250ms at off peak and is holding steady under 50ms at all times for the last week or so which I am happy about for online gaming.

Rang them today and they sayd the speed issue should be fixed by Wednesday this week. Will keep you posted.

I have complained and complained since I got it and finally I seem to be making progress. Line quality has been fixed, now for the speeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Fat Fingers....do you ever get a good rate? If not, are you using the UPC USB wireless adapter?

I do get very good speed monday to friday unil about 4:00PM. I can get up to 13Mb , then come 4:00PM it starts to go down. By 7:00PM i'm down to 1-2 Mb and this stays this way until sometime past midnight.

Their support has been useless to be honest. It all boils down to reboot the router and try again.
    It looks like they have oversubscribed in my area but what irritates me is that when i got the line it was all fine first month. Then after that its this rubbish.

I can't even get a result from Speedtest.net tonight my connection is that slow. I used Maget earlier and my download speed was 0.1MB- fantastic.

I had rang NTL last week and they were going to send an engineer on Thursday. I got a phone call on Wednesday to say there was no need for an engineer as there was a general problem in the area and other people were affected.

Over the long weekend speeds were fantastic and I thought the issue must have been resolved. Cue tonight though and the horrendous speeds above. I range technical support and told them the problems. They said there was fragmention (or a term along those lines) in the area (Navan Rd D7) and there was no date in sight for the issue to be resolved. I couldn't believe that they wouldn't give the date and pushed the guy for a date when the issue might be fixed. I was put on hold and he came back to me with the same issue. I mentioned about dropping down to the 10MB package and was put on hold again............. this time I was 'disconnected'.

I rang back and got speaking to technical support. I mentioned all of the above and pushed for an answer as to when the issue will be fixed. The lady in question pushed me up a level on the tech support chain and the chap I spoke to in the end mentioned they hoped to have the issue fixed at the end of this month.
    He said he would have accounts ring me tomorrow as I shouldn't be charged for a service I'm not receiving. That's great but it'll be about six weeks altogether of little to no service. Very shoddy stuff. I'm going to have to use a 3G connection in the meantime and that's less than ideal. I more or less can't play the PS3 online and I can't download anything while on 3G.

For the first time in about 5 or 6 years with NTL I'm actually disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I can't even get a result from Speedtest.net tonight my connection is that slow. I used Maget earlier and my download speed was 0.1MB- fantastic.

I had rang NTL last week and they were going to send an engineer on Thursday. I got a phone call on Wednesday to say there was no need for an engineer as there was a general problem in the area and other people were affected.

Over the long weekend speeds were fantastic and I thought the issue must have been resolved. Cue tonight though and the horrendous speeds above. I range technical support and told them the problems. They said there was fragmention (or a term along those lines) in the area (Navan Rd D7) and there was no date in sight for the issue to be resolved. I couldn't believe that they wouldn't give the date and pushed the guy for a date when the issue might be fixed. I was put on hold and he came back to me with the same issue. I mentioned about dropping down to the 10MB package and was put on hold again............. this time I was 'disconnected'.

I rang back and got speaking to technical support. I mentioned all of the above and pushed for an answer as to when the issue will be fixed. The lady in question pushed me up a level on the tech support chain and the chap I spoke to in the end mentioned they hoped to have the issue fixed at the end of this month.
    He said he would have accounts ring me tomorrow as I shouldn't be charged for a service I'm not receiving. That's great but it'll be about six weeks altogether of little to no service. Very shoddy stuff. I'm going to have to use a 3G connection in the meantime and that's less than ideal. I more or less can't play the PS3 online and I can't download anything while on 3G.

For the first time in about 5 or 6 years with NTL I'm actually disappointed.

I know it can be different from one place to another but i am in the D7/navan road area myself but didnt have any problem last night or last week.

2007... then i had a problem there and it lasted all year, got about 75% of me money back in totall but that is not what i subscribe for a service for.
    I hope your suffering will not go the way mine went in those days.

NTL/UPC is great... as long as it works. Get a problem and you are well truly screwed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement