Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Is it worth getting the Atlanta modem if you're on 30Mbit with NTL? Will any used modem work, or are there specific models of the Atlanta?

I've a strange problem, if I download/upload at normal rates (down 2.3MB/s, up 120KBps or so), it will disconnect and die after an hour or so. If I check the modem, it has lost sync on the send (light completely off) and sometimes the receive. Sometimes the receive is still blinking.

I called NTL yesterday and they said there was a general problem in my area which would be solved by now, gonna check when I get home. Probably it's still ****e...

And by the way, 250GB usage? Jesus, that's craptastic.

In Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mathiasb wrote: »

And by the way, 250GB usage? Jesus, that's craptastic.

In Blanchardstown.

Only a few years ago Eircom was offering me their fantastic BB that had a massive cap of 4GB a month.

250GB is more than enough for the majority of people i would say.
    If on the other hand you want to dl the internet it might be a bit tight.

inforfun wrote: »
    Only a few years ago Eircom was offering me their fantastic BB that had a massive cap of 4GB a month.

250GB is more than enough for the majority of people i would say.
    If on the other hand you want to dl the internet it might be a bit tight.

In March alone we used 569GB in our household, we're only 2 people, with a few consoles and laptops. So apparently we aren't "normal Internet users". :confused:

Well anyway, they'll remove the cap for another €20 a month or so I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I've not moved over to the 30mpbs yet but I would have if my 15meg connection wasn't so ****.

Even at the wee hours of this morning (2-4am) it was pulling in 9mbps and no more, in the daytime I'm lucky to get 5mbps and in peak time in the evening we're talking 2 or 3mbps at the most, usually worse.

The upload is alway in or around 1mbps.

We've never reached more than 10mbps on any speedtest (irishisptest, magnet, speedtest.net etc etc) or practical test (freeBSD ISO from ftp.heanet.ie).

I have a Scientific Atlanta EPC2203, which reports Downstream power to be +11.5dBmV and upstream to be +40.2dBmV. From what I've read the baseline for downstream power is 0dBmV and bigger than +-7dBmV is a cause for concern - is this correct?

We've got the one line coming in, it has a "1 way tap" on it, followed by a "2 way splitter" to feed the cable modem and the digital+ box, if that helps.

Advice on whether an engineer callout could help or other things I could try would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Hey all i have been reading all this crap and found out a few tit bits.
    I recently moved house and was getting 1.3 to 1.4mb down and 80kbs up on my 30mb service.
    (Cork Shanakiel area of city)

Have been given the run around for last 5-6 weeks at my new address things have gotten a little better over last week but still no bang for my buck.

Iam recieveing "credit" which in no way equates to speed im getting.

Currently downing @ 2.1 ish fluxuates ---and 100kbs upload never goes past 100kbs.

so i call them and bitch as usual and they say yeah its all ok now you should be fine ....... nope same **** diff day.

Now i took matters into my own hands a little but i was sick of being lied to. My buddy signed up the other week and he is only on for around 9-10 days , he tells me yeah i got 30mb and its awsome ...... so i ask him to call over with his modem plug it in to my current setup and BOOM 3.5 mbs down and 330kbs up **** me i thought.

Config files are being sent to certain modems telling them to operate at certain speeds and i have warned them i have video evidence to support my claims. tonight some one is to call me on this lmfao........

I wait with bated breath.

My modem is fully functional and cannot be blamed directly for speed being throttled.

Since they "Provisioned my modem" it seems they provisioned me with a big ****ty config file in my modem that throttles my speeds.

FYI manchester speedtest.net in uk is the best one to use at this pres time and momoent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Mathiasb wrote: »
    In March alone we used 569GB in our household, we're only 2 people, with a few consoles and laptops. So apparently we aren't "normal Internet users". :confused:

How do you keep track mate? I've got a bandwidth monitor setup on the PC and that does the trick, but i've no idea what kind of bandwidth my 360 uses up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

el dude wrote: »
    How do you keep track mate? I've got a bandwidth monitor setup on the PC and that does the trick, but i've no idea what kind of bandwidth my 360 uses up.

X-Box live game play uses around 30meg per hour depending on the game

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

Ye i setup my 360 when i was in Gort on a lappy using 3g dongle with O2 and it worked great . Cod6 used around 3-6 MB per game - used the traffic metre to monitor on dongle.
    (mast signal was very good i might add)

No attempts to resolve my issues with max 100kbs upload restriction down is now hitting 3.5 MBs anytime of day or night.

Progress ??????

el dude wrote: »

We didn't, NTL sent us a letter, giving us the data. If I wanted to monitor the bandwidth I'd install something like pfsense or m0n0wall.

They basically wrote "we are writing to you because some of our customers in your area have been experiencing deterioration in the service we offer them. We have found that this is usually caused by a small number of broadband customers who continually upload and download extremely large files, which has a detrimental effect on our network."

This is what NTL are saying:

* We write to you saying that you cause disruptance. However, if you pay up, you suddenly won't cause any network disruptance.
    * We have nowhere near the broadband capacity that we sell. (if they did, they would not have any problem what-so-ever with people utilizing their paid for service 24/7)
    * We will keep disconnecting your modem whenever we see "heavy" traffic for more than an hour. Calling us will not help, as we will lie to you on the phone, saying "temporary network problem, come back in a week if it isn't solved", or the like.

Well, what can you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

http://781158567.png

anyone gettin speed like this in the last day?? Cant be right!! Im only on the 30mb pack in Limerick too!!

On the Limerick Server im getting this speed

781168042.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Anyone in Dublin 1 suffering from horrendous speeds tonight?
    I am 30mb down and 3mb up
    It hasn't been great the last few days but tonight is the owrst so far, I shot of an e-mail now to their support, I don't know if that's any use but you spend a lifetime onto the phone with them trying to get through to them. :rolleyes:

aahh just got an automated e-mail back...
    "Our aim is to contact you within 3 working days."
    pmsl lol

781353716.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I went back and fourth over e-mails about the s**t speeds I am getting the last few weeks. After 2 weeks and 6 emails I got this as a response:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    Please contact our Premium PC Support on 1550 924 124 and they will be able to assist you with your query.
    Calls cost 95 cent per from both Eircom and Upc landlines. Call charges may vary with mobiles and other providers
    If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us on customer.support@upc.ie
    Kind regards,
    Amy

Kindly f**k off Amy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

14752881.png
    782060580.png

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Dublin 7, blackhorse avenue, on 30mb UPC BB,..results of pinging to dublin,manchester & amsterdam
    782081632.png
    782082466.png
    782078885.png
    14754377.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

782088955.png
    782090555.png
    782091740.png
    14754713.png

Same tests as lensman. wtf is going on with my upload. Dublin 8 (off Cork Street) on 20 mbs line.

Same tests as lensman. wtf is going on with my upload. Dublin 8 (off Cork Street) on 20 mbs line.
    who knows,..mine was always good but had a very bad patch about a month ago,..lasted about a week,..d/l speeds downto between 2mb ~ 7mb & total connection loss,..when I phoned there automated responce said there was a problem in the d7 area & would be fixed within the week,...which it was thankfully,...guess I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nutterguy

I assume this is a peak time thing...by 1am they were back to normal speeds tonight at the moment back to crappy speeds.
    The thing is I got my account as a bill pay and not direct debit, unless they cop the fck on I am not paying them.
    What I liked about Smart my previous ISP was that there was 1:1 contention and if you had any problems you could post on their forum and you always had someone sort your problems out.

Right, finally got thru to them on the phone and got a decent skin called Daniel, usual "is bla bla plugged in etc etc"
    I told him that it goes back to normal at 1am....he goes away checks stuff and basically he said there is problems...I said my area (dublin 1) and he said Dublin in general!
    anyway he logged in a report and mentioned with all the complaints tonight they UPC will /should be working on the lines to improve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Hi,

I am on the UPC 5Mb package and want to upgrade to 15Mb, just wondering is there a way to upgrade online without being sent out a new modem etc. as I don't really want to ring them up. Do they need to come to my house or is my speed just updated automatically ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Jaysus the customer care menu for UPC is a joke around and around you go trying to get to technical support and when you do it just boots you off.

Trying to report my very bad speed at the moment 2MB on a 15MB connection.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Im in the same boat.

Ive just checked and found that my download speed on a 10Mb UPC Broadband Express is 2Mb

I even went as far as removing all the variables in the house and connecting the modem directly to the incoming cable.

I mean come on.. I understand there'll be some loss on the lines but not ~7-8Mb worth of loss.

Ive yet to ring Tech support and Ive just gone through that speed change up to 15MB where I agree to another 12Months (they've not yet enabled it), but if they arent able to provide even 75% of the speed they are offering Id be after them to cancel this contract without incurring a fee.

Lads as I said earlier they appear to have had lots of complaints tonight and I would urge yas to phone them to complain...the more that do the better.

782517069.png

I am 30mb down and 3mb up remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chazbat1

782517002.png

Had the same for 3 days now after navigating the UPC phone menu (I think i may have given my bloodtype) I was told sorry we are overflow.... you will get a call back in 24-48 hours... slap in the face....

BTW anyone getting problems loading certain web-pages? I know for a fact UPC are having DNS problems... use open DNS

Primary: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220

These problems seem to moving from area to area, bad for a week or so then fixed & the problems show up in another area,..one possibility is that UPC are trying to combat the new phase of dodgy cable boxes, there based on cardsharing & need connection to a server full time so they might be sniffing network traffic in an effort to see whats going on..:eek:
    782550168.png

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bren4q

Just weighing in with my Speedtest stats for tonight. In Dublin 11 area, Glasnevin. On 15Mb package, upgraded from 10Mb just 5 days ago.

782623369.png

Modem power levels:
    Receive 5.2 dBmV
    Transmit 44.4 dBmV

All was well up to last night but speed plummeted at around midnight. It has been lousy all evening today.
    Will send a wee "fyi" message to UPC from their site.

{EDIT}
    And now an hour and a half later at 1.30am its back up to normal...

782686954.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

this countrys internet is fecked all ISP's in ireland have begun to have problems of late vodafone seem to be the worst of all tough UPC please save me from this dial up :mad::mad: supposed 3mb 3:19 in the morning grrrrr i hate vodafone please hurry up UPC and add BB to my area :P:P

782751493.png

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

I live in Charlemont, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9

My 10Mb connection is useless now, I'm lucky to get 1-2Mb in the evenings.

It goes back to 10Mb around 1AM.

Rang NTL yesterday & this morning. Waiting for tech guys to call me back this evening...

Joe make sure u tell em all ur points and connections u've checked ARE FINE bla bla..
    They will look for any excuse...

Mine is fine today so far, I was hoping all of NTLs would be ok.

783110702.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

My connection (Griffith Avenue are) was awful yesterday. The maximum speed of my downloads was around 25kbps... Seems to be back to normal today.

However, I am still frequently getting those T3 time outs when I start a large download. Only way to get the connection going again is to reboot my router and modem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement