Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Rang and complained myself last night after going around and around their bloody customer care number, it was just short of asking me out.

Anyway got the wife to do a speed test just there and got the following.

download is 14.61
    upload is 1.2
    ping is 24

a lot better than last night it will be intesting to see if it goes back down to between 1 and 2mb later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Dublin 7,..30mb connection,..3 tests within mins of each other
    783253788.png783254951.png783255992.png
    & one test to holland for good measure 783260038.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Have had UPC since January....all was well until mid March when my speeds started dropping and in some cases no Broadband or phone, I have rang them almost every 2nd day....tech lads were to ring me back twice..so far nothing. So 2 engineers called out on Monday checked everything here, all grand, however I was told there was "noise" on the line from the exchange. According to one of the customer reps the lines in Swords are being upgraded (should be finished this weekend) and the Network lads have found the cause of the "noise" and that should be sorted soon too.

For the last 2 days the speeds have been crap...speed at night drops to about 0.7 to 2.6.

Here's what I normally get, am on 15mb down, 1.5 up:
    783382089.png

Although from about 6:30pm things should start to go downhill!! :mad:

And so begins the speed dips.....
    783454883.png

The speedtest is an hour behind for some reason!!! Took this at 6:49pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

I have a 30meg in Greenhills and its now running at 29meg after months of complaining. They even gave me credit on my account for complaining.
    Well done UPC I take it all back.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/783508605.png

783508605.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

783553199.png

Back to normal crap tonight...
    basically the line is not handling peak times. :rolleyes:

on phone and could be 30 mins lol

Got thru after 18 or so mins..
    Girl said that the 2nd ry tech support are due to phone me within the 48 hours time frame which is tomorrow night at the latest.
    I said was she getting many complains and she said not from my Dublin 1 area.
    Although Stoneybatter/East Wall and some other place had slow speeds due to some upgrade or whatever it is, excuse my poor memory.

slowly going down!! :mad: 783585021.png

Has anyone else been given the "noise on the line" excuse? It just seems odd that most of Dublin seem to be having some sort of trouble. When I asked yesterday was it contention I was told that it hadn't reached near it's peak capacity.......but wouldn't tell me what the ratio was. I has asked one of the other customer service people yesterday morning (lucky upc got 2 calls from me yesterday!!) and she let slip it was 500 to 1 that I was more or less sharing with everyone in Swords...! Would that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im in Santry on the 15mbps having a howler of a time, it was all fine until about 6pm and started dipping, now look what im getting.....

783588210.png

This was also happening the last 2 days, im kinda glad to see that it may just be an area fault, hopefully they sort it soon.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

oimg?key=0AhazUBBLfZlRdGhLSTNqVlBENU5PZTZMVlFQWEt1R0E&oid=2&v=1271352955922

Calculated using speedtest.net. I have actual direct links to each point if anyone thinks I'm bull****ting.

They still haven't called back so I think I will cancel.

Magnet have an offer until April 30th - Force 24MB broadband for 55Euro. Not shared.

Can anyone tell me if Magnet are any better?

joe2010 wrote: »
    oimg?key=0AhazUBBLfZlRdGhLSTNqVlBENU5PZTZMVlFQWEt1R0E&oid=2&v=1271352955922

Calculated using speedtest.net. I have actual direct links to each point if anyone thinks I'm bull****ting.

They still haven't called back so I think I will cancel.

Magnet have an offer until April 30th - Force 24MB broadband for 55Euro. Not shared.

Can anyone tell me if Magnet are any better?

Ive heard good reports about Magnet but they are not available in every area as far as I know!

How long are you having this issue Joe?

Mine has only arisen in the last 3 days, ive had over the speed I should have had the last while.....

Yeah about the same - well I only realised last 3 days but could be a few days more.

It's a shame 'cos it was really good.

I worked for NTL many moons ago on the phones, you wouldnt believe some of the crazy stuff I used to hear, fair enough they are providing a service but it should at least be working at half-mast if they are performing "upgrades" to the line!
    It may be a case that they are working on these lines in the evening (worst time I know!) hopefully it will be sorted soon, ive only recently switched to NTL for bband since before xmas and had no issue up until now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

i switched to ntl in jan for dsl and whilst being worried about there terrable service , have been happy up till this week.
    just spent 20 mins holding to speak to a helpful girl who then put me on to 2nd level support...
    after another 5 mins of waiting for him to come back and tell me everythings fine and that its a problem with my pc, I then told him ive speedtest on my iphone and whilst waiting for the wireless connection to come back up he hung up.

speeds have been awful this week, have 15mb and normally get around 12-13mb have dropped to barely 1-2 mb:mad:

It's getting worse....:mad: All done in the space of a few minutes, after the usual unplugging the modem crap that they tell you to do.

783630676.png

783632704.png

Tried Limerick for the craic:

783636285.png

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

blaze1 wrote: »
    who then put me on to 2nd level support...
    after another 5 mins of waiting for him to come back and tell me everythings fine and that its a problem with my pc, I then told him ive speedtest on my iphone and whilst waiting for the wireless connection to come back up he hung up.

speeds have been awful this week, have 15mb and normally get around 12-13mb have dropped to barely 1-2 mb:mad:

I think I had the same guy. I have just started a new thread a couple of mins ago "UPC Issues". It was a "2nd level support" thing for me as well and the little prick hung up on me after having the audacity to get snappy as well.

I rang immediately back and made a complaint for them to "log" and I will hear back in 24-48 hours....I also took the company address to make further complaint if I do not hear back.

You should have called back to make a complaint. I would bet my salary its the same dude!!

John

Yeah if it's no better over the weekend I will,
    just too pissed off to waste any time on them

per usual...from 6ish onwards it gets slower and slower, least its consostent that way. :cool:

Seriously... WTF is going on check at 5pm was getting 12mb from 15mb now it's dropped again, I can understand a drop at peak times but this is stupid. Are they blaming the volcanoe?

• Advertisement

UPC called today - sending out an Engineer on Tuesday to fix it - something to do with levels and modem slowing itself down? Regardless if it slows down Tueday evening then I'm 100% cancelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I getting the same problems now. I've been with them since November on the 10 meg connection and I was always getting 9.7-9.8 consistently, ping at 12ms and line quality A with 1ms jitter, perfect. No problems.

Over the last week my connection dropped out about 10 times. This week it hasn't dropped but the speed drops from 10 meg to anywhere between 1-4 meg after 6pm till 9am the next morning. Pings have doubled to 25ms and the line quality has gone to crap. Websites take an age to load up and then they don't work right and have errors all over. Video seems to stream ok though.

The only thing not effected is my upload speed which is still 1 meg more or less all the time.

I'm glad I did not renew my contract for the free upgrade because this is a joke. I don't want this so called "upgrade", I want my super fast high quality low latency 10 meg connection back.:mad:

Connection was back after about 12:30 last nite, normal enough speeds, can't connect to xbox live since all this **** started tho, does anyone know what is causing this??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pedromorris

Lads - Ive been with UPC now for 2 years.. always on the 20MB package and got the upgrade at xmas to 30MB...ive had 5 engineers out putting in brand new cables twice, and even a dedicated new feed through my wall for broadband.. (Clarehall area)
    Ive been told. since i have been waiting on the phone option in my area since I signed up, that my area would get an upgrade in Equipment at the exchange but since the past year its ---next month, next month, they are working on it now---- blah blah blah...

when i started complaining about speeds it was because i was dropping down to 10-12MB but now every day at 18:00 in the past moth its dropping down to 1-2MB... this is just deplorable... a chap I read in another thread is getting the same speeds in Swords and another in Artane..

I think its about time for UPC to own up to its clients that since they stupidly announced a 30MB Fibre package they have had an influx of people jumping ship from BT and Eircom and as a result their network infrastructure has officially gone into meltdown...

Their terms and conditions says that we should get compensation if they are not providing a proper service.... they are not!

I think its about time for UPC to own up to its clients that since they stupidly announced a 30MB Fibre package they have had an influx of people jumping ship from BT and Eircom and as a result their network infrastructure has officially gone into meltdown...
    The thing is they are not been fcking honest, I phoned then again tiwce today and the guy on the phone named Vincent came out with pure crap, talk about towing the party line, according to him there are no problems whatsoever all week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

The thing is they are not been fcking honest, I phoned then again tiwce today and the guy on the phone named Vincent came out with pure crap, talk about towing the party line, according to him there are no problems whatsoever all week. rolleyes.gif
    That's strange because I was just speaking to an agent 20 minutes ago who said that NTL have been having major problems all week in Dublin and they are aware that there is a problem but haven't a clue how to fix it.

They have been inundated with calls from angry customer who are getting crap speeds but when they do tests on their lines they see that half the capacity is still available.

They just don't know what the problem is.

I pay for a 30Mb connection and every speed test I've done these last few days hasn't gone above 5Mb. Back when I had the 10Mb service I always got 9.6 to 9.7Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 hotboxaerox

they'd better get the finger out its gone to ****e here in artane. :mad:

Barry0 wrote: »
    That's strange because I was just speaking to an agent 20 minutes ago who said that NTL have been having major problems all week in Dublin and they are aware that there is a problem but haven't a clue how to fix it.
    Which is more annoying when you get a toerag like the guy who I dealt with, I've no problem with NTL if they are honest and they have problems, it's when they bullshi t me that I get mightily pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ive put in a few moans on this thread few weeks back - but just want to give credit when its due:

Here is at last a speedtest Im happy with - Speedtest only shows this kind of speed at 1AM ish -
    however with file downloads from a fast server - its good at most times of day - normally about 3megabytes per sec. Big D15 smile for me :D

785841003.png

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Ozmo how is it for u between 6.30pm and midnight though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement