Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

786221806.png
    786222613.png
    15022961.png

Happy days in Dublin 8. Still worried about the impending "upgrade" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Georgio_77

I'm in Tallaght on a 15 meg package. Some evenings speed does drop to about 3 meg, but most of the time it's like this:

786228680.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

In swords too, and it's been brutal all week in the evenings, from 6 - 12.30, fine outside those hours.

I've a 15Mb connection, and at the moment it's

786557410.png

Most evenings it's been below 1 Mb

Was talking to support the last few days, and they acknowledge that the service has been terrible, they can see the dip's in quality in their logs, but can't see a reason. I seem to have been lucky and got a support person who was somewhat knowledgable and even rang me back when he said he would. An engineer is booked for next weekend to test the line from my end, not too hopefull though.

Looks to me like they've developed a bottleneck somewhere on their network, and when the evening/weekend users all log in, the bottleneck is flooded and backs up...

Hope they can figure this out soon.

Only getting 5 megs this evening...

786585201.png

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭emy

This evening only 3mb from 15mb. Dublin 7

786622519.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

and down they go.....:D

786615645.png

15 meg my a**

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

Well, after list night's call I was promised a callback within 24 hours by second level support, which I never got. It's even worse now. My 30Mb connection is now

786688219.png

I can't even watch youtube videos any more without stuttering and buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

It shouldn't matter whether lots of people are logging on - I'm aware of contention ratios, but it states in the conditions on their website:
    Average expected broadband speeds at peak times are 5Mb, 15Mb and 30Mb.
    So we should be getting near full speeds even at peak times. 2.7Mb on a 30Mb line is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Speeds are shyte here in Swords too,on the "30mb" package.

786705361.png

No wonder your speeds are crap, all the bandwidth has been allocated to Tallaght ;)

786714479.png

• Advertisement

Georgio_77 wrote: »
    No wonder your speeds are crap, all the bandwidth has been allocated to Tallaght ;)

786714479.png

LMFAO....enjoy it while you can!!! :D

As per usual.....speeds back to normal until later.....

787058504.png

Speeds may be back, but have intermittent connections...losing broadband and phone....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 driversk

Today a received post from ChorusNTL...
    ChorusNTL wrote:
    We believe that you may not be receiving your full Fibre Power BB speeds and we are taking steps to address and resolve this issue. We are not happy that a valued customer may not be receiving the service they expect and we would like to assure you that our engineers are working to ensure you receive acceptable BB speeds in the near future.

ChorusNTL has decided to contact all customer who could be affected by this issue. As you are a valued customer we will amend your account so that you will be billed at half price for your BB service for next two months. You do not have to do anything as this discount will be reflected automatically on your next bill.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused and thank you for continued patience. If you would like to speak to us, feel free co call us on Freephone 1908 so speak with a member of our Technical Support team.

Yours sincerely

ChorusNTL

I was actually shocked upon receiving this post :) Nice move from them for a change. They actually are acknowledging problems on their network and have no idea what is causing it :)
    Half bill is a good thing thou :)

Btw. Dublin 7 speed is good throughout the day but goes down between 6pm - midnight.. Constant T3 timeouts.
    30MB Fibre power BB package

Just hammer them with phone-calls until they give up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

We just upgraded from crippled "30mbit" to a sensible 30mbit connection without usage caps. Today, our connection was getting slower and slower. I decided to ping google.ie. Sure, 5-8ms response times. But 33% packet loss.... :rolleyes:

Then it died. Restarted modem, still not back up.

going to call them when I get home. We're paying f**cking €80 a month for this. It should be working and they should instantly send a guy out with equipment, replacement modems etc to troubleshoot the instant we call them.

Will call them after work and see what kind of excuses they have... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

driversk wrote: »
    Originally Posted by ChorusNTL
    We believe that you may not be receiving your full Fibre Power BB speeds and we are taking steps to address and resolve this issue. We are not happy that a valued customer may not be receiving the service they expect and we would like to assure you that our engineers are working to ensure you receive acceptable BB speeds in the near future.

ChorusNTL has decided to contact all customer who could be affected by this issue. As you are a valued customer we will amend your account so that you will be billed at half price for your BB service for next two months. You do not have to do anything as this discount will be reflected automatically on your next bill.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused and thank you for continued patience. If you would like to speak to us, feel free co call us on Freephone 1908 so speak with a member of our Technical Support team.

Yours sincerely

ChorusNTL

Where did this come from? I cannot find the original post?

Who exactly does this apply to?

John

johnc24 wrote: »
    Where did this come from? I cannot find the original post?

Who exactly does this apply to?

John

It looks like they are writing to individual customers.

I've been told that I will receive a discount cos I haven't been getting the service......nothing in writing though....and it won't be given until they have located and sorted the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 driversk

It came by post... I just quoted it to look better :)

Well they should send it to everyone who is suffering :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I got that letter 2 months ago after I mailed them and told them I was not going to pay full price for the service I was receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Ahh...I got the notification on my email on my iphone, I was thinking initially someone from UPC had seen these threads the last few days and actually got their finger out of their ass, and was making an announcement to all concerned.

I will be calling them at 1800 to see what they have to say, I honestly have to say their tech staff and technicians are nothing short of appalling!, considering what I have witnessed to date.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm on the 20mb package but I heard that during march everyone should have been upgraded to the 30mb? True/false?

I'm not calling them up just to be put on another 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm on the 20mb package but I heard that during march everyone should have been upgraded to the 30mb? True/false?

I'm not calling them up just to be put on another 12 month contract.

True. Though last I heard that was put back to April (ie. about now). I'm guessing (hoping) they might be quietly shelving that little plan. I do not need a downgrade.

True. Though last I heard that was put back to April (ie. about now). I'm guessing (hoping) they might be quietly shelving that little plan. I do not need a downgrade.

It's on their website somewhere. I found a form where users of 10 and 20mbit can get a free upgrade to 15/30.

Can't find the form now though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

on the phone waiting for them to answer it . my 15mb line has been very bad since tuesday last week.

787612044.png

...waiting for someone to answer the phone 30 min so far. What a joke is UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

30meg in Greenhills back to its normal ****e self

787620513.png:mad:

i give up!!! waiting 45 min for support to answer the phone!!! What a rubbish company....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 drewaz

I wonder how did they get a customer service award...

CCMAAwards.jpg
    "Winners of two Customer Service Awards in 2008"

I'm calling them now. Apparently there was a disruption in the service on the Snugborough road / waterville area here in D15. They said that they're working on it. Internet is now working for me, but at 3mbit down and 1mbit up. 1/10th of the speed... :rolleyes:

I'll give then 5 more minutes on the phone, then giving up... It better be solved by tomorrow morning or else I'm demanding refunds.

edit: Yay, only 23 minutes in and I get hold of someone.

He wanted to connect me to a 2nd line guy, but there weren't any so he got my details. They said I'll get a call tomorrow. Hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

disco girl wrote: »
    It looks like they are writing to individual customers.

I've been told that I will receive a discount cos I haven't been getting the service......nothing in writing though....and it won't be given until they have located and sorted the problem!

I received that letter on 3rd March after reporting the problems numerous times since early January. It stated that I would be charged €29.99 for the next 2 months. I paid €29.99 last month. What do I receive in the post today? A bill for €43. Are they having a laugh? :mad:

Rarely get over 20mb if I'm lucky and my upload never goes over 0.6mb. As I write this here is my speedtest result:

[IMG][/img]787722610.png

No way I am paying full price for this 30mb service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

This is the most piss poor service I'v experienced. I e-mailed them about it a month ago and still no reply. No letter either.
    787753544.png
    Consistent speed on my 30mb line for over a month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement