Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Anita Blow wrote: »
    This is the most piss poor service I'v experienced. I e-mailed them about it a month ago and still no reply. No letter either.
    787753544.png
    Consistent speed on my 30mb line for over a month

Really? Where are you located? Get them on the phone, and explain your situation. I bet their "spam" filter is very efficient at filtering out certain emails. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

And here...we...go.

Speeds dipping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barry0

787817742.png

30 Mbit service - it's been like this for over a week. Actually this is one of the best results I've had - it's normally between 2.4 and 2.7.

Still nothing of the "callback within 24 hours" I was promised on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joey tallaght

surely to christ they are doin somethn right? my bb is workin..... :D but then again I know how to unplug a modem when it displays weird lights.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

but then again I know how to unplug a modem when it displays weird lights.:eek:

UPC tech support seems to think that's the magic answer to everything. All that's useful for is getting my connection back every time it drops out.

UPC have a massive problem with their network, how can so many customers go with issue for months and years and then bam they announce speed upgrades and fibre power and their network goes to sh1t country wide, I'm lucky to get 2megs on my 10meg connection from 4pm-12am every day other times I can get 6 ish if I'm lucky. Before 2 weeks ago the slowest I ever got was 9.5meg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm getting it installed this week, beginning to think I should have not bothered ordering the 30mb package :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm getting it installed this week, beginning to think I should have not bothered ordering the 30mb package :(

New customers seem to be fine. I have two friends that live near me about 6-700 yards that got the 15meg package a month ago and they are fine, no slow down. I got my 10meg package in November and it was great until the free un-requested upgrades started to happen and everything fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

surely to christ they are doin somethn right? my bb is workin..... :D but then again I know how to unplug a modem when it displays weird lights.:eek:

lol oh this thread was doomed from the beginning to devolve into what it is now.... a general bitch about UPC rant thread. Each post is getting more and more funny they all sound like Joe duffy calls at this stage! The sarcastic face emoticon is getting a work out and a half.

"terrible Joe, it the government Joe! Something has to be done Joe I'm sick of it now Joe!" lol." BTW mine is working just fine too... virtual five!

virtual-high-five.gif

"It works for me." <- irrelevant.

My down speeds went back up to 22mbit, but the upload can't reach above 1.12mbit, regardless of server chosen (speedtest.net). Awaiting that call from 2nd level tech support... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

I wouldn't trust that speedtest.net as far as I could throw it ;)

Test done on wireless, a floor up and at the opposite side of the house from the Netgear router.
    I'm on the 20Mb pack:

788223243.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Crap! I'm getting UPC installed today. Perhaps I should have read this first!

Getting the 15mb connection. I'll let you know the speeds later.

Test done on wireless, a floor up and at the opposite side of the house from the Netgear router.
    I'm on the 20Mb pack:

788223243.png

It's not rocket science. Do the speedtest at least 3 times, on different servers each time. Then compare with a file copy from heanet or any other high speed source.

In my tests, speedtest has been quite close.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

Well the engineer from UPC called today.

He asked me to turn on my PC and looked at my previous speedtest.net results.

I had done about 50 tests. He saw that the speed was rubbish between 6pm & 1am.

He then checked the signal strength on the modem which was 1.5, which was fine.

He said the the contention was 1:17 and he can put me in another group but said it
    may improve or not. Might even get worse. I said fine try it.

If it drops at 6 this evening I'm canceling straight away.

I'm ****ing angry now.

I'm going with magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I completely agree, speedtest.net is unreliable at the best of times... Use http://speedtest.magnet.ie

Far more reliable.

Magnet? Do they provide an Internet connection over cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

QFT

I ran 4 tests last night on Speedtest - Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Dublin and they ranged from 2mb/s to 3mb/s

I ran these immediately after I had just finished downloading a linux distro from usenet - 1.6Gb at an average speed of 1.52MB/s or 12Mb/s

Speedtest is completely unreliable. As an aside 12Mb/s of 30Mb/s line isn't good enough either UPC!

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Magnet? Do they provide an Internet connection over cable?

No I don't think so. but no contention, so what ever speed you do get it will stay at that speed.

They have their own section where you can ask questions:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1207

Just called UPC asked about how long it takes to get switched to a new group (for contention) - they said 24 hours so tomorrow evening I should know for sure if it made any difference.

I also asked about canceling and it's 30 days from the day you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

had been onto upc for the last 2 weeks over slow speeds since upgrading..
    they kept trying to fob me off , saying it was the router etc. even though the speeds were fine from 1am to maybe 2pm. but that they had no problems or complaints, at their end.

sunday they said they get a tech out on thursday, and today i recieve a text from them saying they have finished their bb servicing in my area and speeds are back to normal. anyway so what , if it stays this way

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Speeds are back to normal on a 15MB and getting 13MB plus upload is 1.20MB. Will keep an eye on it over the next couple of hours.

D3 area.

Neon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bren4q

Speeds back to normal for me too this evening. 14 Mb on the 15 Mb package, in Dublin 11 area. This time yesterday it was 1.8 Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Meducation, where are you???

it seems that everyone's speeds are so far so good......today...let's hope it stays that way!!!!

Swords here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Swords here

Speed has been perfect all day and evening.....thanks be to god, let it stick around! (25-30mb):)

I'm in Marino and my 10MB connection is working again -
    having a good connection shouldn't make me this happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

joe2010 wrote: »
    having a good connection shouldn't make me this happy :)

But it does make you happy doesn't it.

johnc24 wrote: »
    But it does make you happy doesn't it.

Very much so :)

Haven't been upgraded but here's mine for posterity:

788870159.png

Mathiasb wrote: »
    "It works for me." <- irrelevant.

My down speeds went back up to 22mbit, but the upload can't reach above 1.12mbit, regardless of server chosen (speedtest.net). Awaiting that call from 2nd level tech support... :mad:

Well, they never called, unless they're 012934666, but I can't answer my phone at work. :rolleyes:

Download speed is back to ~24mbit, so ~80% what we're paying for, but the upload speed stays at 1.7mbit i.e. ~56%. It looks like every time we maximize the upload link, the modem loses the sync, and the connection dies.

I'll see if I can be arsed to ring them again tomorrow. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

Guys correct me if I'm wrong but are there other people out there who haven't upgraded to "fibre power" and still having issues. I'm on 3mb since last september and was solid as rock to a few weeks ago.

I'm not using it too much to notice but it seems to be very flakey. Not even that speeds are bad but very brief intermitent interuptions. Every few minutes drops so if you happen to be loading a page it will time out.
    In Finglas
    Looks spot on right now but droped out in middle of 180MB dl 30 mins ago.

788916637.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

OK, now i'm tired and pissed off, took 10 goes to upload a 1mb file to hotmail, even though each time I tried speed test it was saying all is hunky dory. Tried to upload to work email also and same issues. All is not well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement