Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

789742815.png

Taken just now. Best I've seen since the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Dublin 5 here, i'm on 15Mb BB from UPC. Speed was good this evening until 15 min ago.

Now i'm back to usual UPC "fiber" speed.

789957962.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Back to 20Mbps levels now...

789992861.png

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

disco girl wrote: »
    Meducation, where are you???

it seems that everyone's speeds are so far so good......today...let's hope it stays that way!!!!

Swords here :D
    Dublin 11.
    not as good as it was before the problems came up though, connection is vanishing completely for a few minutes every couple of hours.
    upc need to improve this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I cant believe it. I'm downloading at a solid 2.30MB/s at 9.30 on a Friday evening! In swords on the 20MB package. I've never seen it this good after 6pm!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jkflipflop

Elessar wrote: »
    I cant believe it. I'm downloading at a solid 2.30MB/s at 9.30 on a Friday evening! In swords on the 20MB package. I've never seen it this good after 6pm!!

20Mb/sec is 20x1000000 bits/second
    20x1000000/8/1024/1024 = 2.38MiB/sec

You are running at nearly 97% of the maximum possible speed.

jkflipflop wrote: »
    20Mb/sec is 20x1000000 bits/second
    20x1000000/8/1024/1024 = 2.38MiB/sec

You are running at nearly 97% of the maximum possible speed.

Not sure what you mean by that but yeah! Maxing out my connection :D

It's been solid like this a couple of days now, heres hoping it stays this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

dublin 7, blackhorse avenue, 30mb package & old copper cable not fiber, in the real world my max d/l speeds are around 2200 to 2500KB/s
    795679838.png
    15625286.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

is there any news when those who have being on the 20mb package are going to be upgraded to the 30mb with out entering a new contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

jos22 wrote: »
    is there any news when those who have being on the 20mb package are going to be upgraded to the 30mb with out entering a new contract

Eh. Call them / fill out the form on the website, if it's still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Hi there,

I just ordered the NTL 30MB Fibre broadband last night, going to switch to NTL from the Vodafone 7MB to see I can get these crazy fast speeds.

However I have two questions that the NTL sales rep didn't seem to be able to answer, and was wondering if anyone else here on the FIBRE product can answer these queries.

1) The router- which once is the best that they offer, I really need a decent firewall and the ability to forward, open, and close ports. Also need to be able to tie MAC addresses to IP address handed out by DHCP, and some sort of heartbeat to a Dynamic DNS service built into the router. Also need at least 4 wired network ports and of course WiFi. The salesperson couldn't tell me much about the router, except for that it was a Cisco - so hopefully it has all the features that my current Netgear DG834G ADSL router has - any ideas?

2) Secondly - as for their phone service, can I still use my current phones (that all have RJ-11 jacks) and plug it into this new system. I heard that the phone is over the FIBRE lines, so I'm just hoping that I can plug my current phones into a regular RJ-11 jack somewhere.

Any help from anyone else with the fibre service would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Eh. Call them / fill out the form on the website, if it's still there.

Eh. That enters us onto a new 12 month contract :rolleyes:

My contract finished in December.

Elessar wrote: »
    Eh. That enters us onto a new 12 month contract :rolleyes:

My contract finished in December.

Really? I understood it as an upgrade, not a completely new contract involving 12 more months. But if that is what it is, then they clearly don't want us as customers at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

fixxation wrote: »
    Hi there,

I just ordered the NTL 30MB Fibre broadband last night, going to switch to NTL from the Vodafone 7MB to see I can get these crazy fast speeds.

However I have two questions that the NTL sales rep didn't seem to be able to answer, and was wondering if anyone else here on the FIBRE product can answer these queries.

1) The router- which once is the best that they offer, I really need a decent firewall and the ability to forward, open, and close ports. Also need to be able to tie MAC addresses to IP address handed out by DHCP, and some sort of heartbeat to a Dynamic DNS service built into the router. Also need at least 4 wired network ports and of course WiFi. The salesperson couldn't tell me much about the router, except for that it was a Cisco - so hopefully it has all the features that my current Netgear DG834G ADSL router has - any ideas?

2) Secondly - as for their phone service, can I still use my current phones (that all have RJ-11 jacks) and plug it into this new system. I heard that the phone is over the FIBRE lines, so I'm just hoping that I can plug my current phones into a regular RJ-11 jack somewhere.

Any help from anyone else with the fibre service would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

1) I cant tell you much about the newer modems as I have the older one with a seperate router.

2) Yes your phone line will just plug into the back of the modem with an RJ11 jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Theta wrote: »
    1) I cant tell you much about the newer modems as I have the older one with a seperate router.

2) Yes your phone line will just plug into the back of the modem with an RJ11 jack.

Hey Theta, figured I'll just ask here instead of starting a new thread. I'm moving from eircom to UPC for phone and broadband and had some queries on the phone service.

Just so I have this right, my existing eircome phone line connection wont work anymore and I'll need a new phone that plugs directly into the UPC router? How do people go about setting up a second phone in a house?

Since the phone and broadband will run of the same lines, how would downloading effect the phone service. On eircom, if I'm downloading a large file the internet can slow to a crawl. If this happens on UPC would it effect call quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭jos22

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Really? I understood it as an upgrade, not a completely new contract involving 12 more months. But if that is what it is, then they clearly don't want us as customers at all.

yes the terms and cons state that you are agreeing to a new 12 month contract by submitting the form. it just i remember back when this tread was first created there was some posts saying that existing customer were going to be auto upgrade in march. since we didn't get upgraded I assume no one else did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whitestag13

it a pity that upc dont reside in smaller town ,i know loads that would grab it .the phone and broadband and tv bundle,but small towns they dont like

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Thanks for that Theta, appreciate the reply!

Cheers

Theta wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

jos22 wrote: »
    yes the terms and cons state that you are agreeing to a new 12 month contract by submitting the form. it just i remember back when this tread was first created there was some posts saying that existing customer were going to be auto upgrade in march. since we didn't get upgraded I assume no one else did.

Far as I know, the auto-upgrade was on the cards - the upc tech who called to my house on an unrelated matter certainly thought it was happening around the start of April. I only figure that since the voluntary upgrade was such a disaster for so many people who took them up on it, they must have decided to leave well enough alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Me and my dad were on the phone to them today about our connection issues, our line likes to drop every hour randomly, will be playing a game or on youtube or just browsing the internet and bang connection gone. They said that our line hasn't dropped in over 7 days, well i beg to differ. They were also putting the blame on our netgear router, they insisted so much that it was the router that they actually patched us through to netgear customer support, which are about as useless as UPC's customer support.

/Start rant
    Netgear started talking aload of crap, ran me through the basic setup wizard and then she started asking me for a username and password to the broadband and i told her that we didn't need one but she wouldn't listen and said that i absolutley needed one to connect to the internet, nearly shouting down the phone i told her one last time that we didn't need a username and password then she put me on hold came back and asked was i cable or DSL, told her that i was cable "ohh, ok, hold on again". Then she told me to go update the firmware, which i done last month. I told her that i already updated it to the latest one and she drew a blank and asked if i ever need anymore support on it to call her back, i told her to F**k off and hung up. /end rant.

Back on topic, called back UPC and told us to connect directly into the modem for 24 hours and see if that helps, but its near impossible to do that when you have another computer and 2 laptops that need the internet wirelessly. going to ring them in the morning and see what else they have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

allen175 wrote: »
    Me and my dad were on the phone to them today about our connection issues, our line likes to drop every hour randomly, will be playing a game or on youtube or just browsing the internet and bang connection gone. They said that our line hasn't dropped in over 7 days, well i beg to differ. They were also putting the blame on our netgear router, they insisted so much that it was the router that they actually patched us through to netgear customer support, which are about as useless as UPC's customer support.

/Start rant
    Netgear started talking aload of crap, ran me through the basic setup wizard and then she started asking me for a username and password to the broadband and i told her that we didn't need one but she wouldn't listen and said that i absolutley needed one to connect to the internet, nearly shouting down the phone i told her one last time that we didn't need a username and password then she put me on hold came back and asked was i cable or DSL, told her that i was cable "ohh, ok, hold on again". Then she told me to go update the firmware, which i done last month. I told her that i already updated it to the latest one and she drew a blank and asked if i ever need anymore support on it to call her back, i told her to F**k off and hung up. /end rant.

Back on topic, called back UPC and told us to connect directly into the modem for 24 hours and see if that helps, but its near impossible to do that when you have another computer and 2 laptops that need the internet wirelessly. going to ring them in the morning and see what else they have to say.

When you lose connection have you checked to see if you can get on to the net by connecting directly to the modem? Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless networks nearby that might be causing you interference? Are there any other wireless gizmos in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have the same problem. It always comes back itself, without me changing anything.

People telling customer services to "**** off", should **** off themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

allen175 wrote: »
    /Start rant
    Netgear started talking aload of crap... ...nearly shouting down the phone... ...asked if i ever need anymore support on it to call her back, i told her to F**k off and hung up. /end rant.

Charming young man. Still having connection issues? Be a bit nicer and more helpful to the person on the other end of the line, you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone on the 5mb package back to 3mb ?
    I was getting 5mb fine last week, now this week its a rock solid 3mb. Its almost as if the speeds have been reset ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Anyone else from Swords.....apparently we've been put on the newer lines.....did anyone else's IP address change??

The d/l speeds are staying static around the 14.6 mark (on 15mb pack) but the upload has gone to crap, instead of getting the 1.5 I'm only getting a third of that, around the .50/.60 and the pings have trebled almost....

Oh and my other issues are still not resolved....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Laghead

This is my second stint with upc. My first package was 20meg and the fastest I ever got with it was 15meg. Got rid 6 months ago switched to magnet and only got 3meg from their 8meg connection using dsl. Heard about 30 meg fibre and thought yippee good up and down speeds. Since getting 30meg my fastest speed has been 14 meg down with 1.7 up. Its normally 7 or 8 meg. Tech guy is coming on friday but I'm not holding my breath. Its also constantly dropping out too either on xbox live or when I have a browser open although skype and other background downloads dont stop. If its not sorted on friday they're getting the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

Very different speeds for each other :/. Speedtest it's not THAT reliable tool.

Can't you guys try to download the Ubuntu system from www.ubuntu.com? And on the download section choose Ireland (it will download from some place inside Ireland). It's a good place to test download speeds because of the quality of the servers, usually universities.

And use a download manager like Orbit, and then see what speed you will get. I believe it will be MUCH better than these speedtests. Really interested in seeing the results, if it's possible.

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The max I get is 21-22. The engineer said when installing, that thats the max i should be getting. Would I be able to get more if I ring them up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement