Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Hey Theta, figured I'll just ask here instead of starting a new thread. I'm moving from eircom to UPC for phone and broadband and had some queries on the phone service.

Just so I have this right, my existing eircome phone line connection wont work anymore and I'll need a new phone that plugs directly into the UPC router? How do people go about setting up a second phone in a house?

Since the phone and broadband will run of the same lines, how would downloading effect the phone service. On eircom, if I'm downloading a large file the internet can slow to a crawl. If this happens on UPC would it effect call quality?

I have the same problem regarding existing phones. I thought that if I connected the lead from the modem into the existing house phone wiring I could access the UPC phone connection where I previously had phone extensions. However, the phones at these extensions just give the engaged tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Install a Dect phone/base into the router, then you can add as many wirefree Dect phones as you like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

So much for Swords upgrades, Thursday night we had no connection at all for about 4 hours, and it's just come back here tonight after going off at about 6pm.
    Bloody stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

801277436.png

D2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

allen175 wrote: »
    Me and my dad were on the phone to them today about our connection issues, our line likes to drop every hour randomly, will be playing a game or on youtube or just browsing the internet and bang connection gone. They said that our line hasn't dropped in over 7 days, well i beg to differ. They were also putting the blame on our netgear router, they insisted so much that it was the router that they actually patched us through to netgear customer support, which are about as useless as UPC's customer support.

/Start rant
    Netgear started talking aload of crap, ran me through the basic setup wizard and then she started asking me for a username and password to the broadband and i told her that we didn't need one but she wouldn't listen and said that i absolutley needed one to connect to the internet, nearly shouting down the phone i told her one last time that we didn't need a username and password then she put me on hold came back and asked was i cable or DSL, told her that i was cable "ohh, ok, hold on again". Then she told me to go update the firmware, which i done last month. I told her that i already updated it to the latest one and she drew a blank and asked if i ever need anymore support on it to call her back, i told her to F**k off and hung up. /end rant.

Back on topic, called back UPC and told us to connect directly into the modem for 24 hours and see if that helps, but its near impossible to do that when you have another computer and 2 laptops that need the internet wirelessly. going to ring them in the morning and see what else they have to say.

to be honest its not netgears fault its UPC that the problem lies with you shouldnt have been transfared to netgear at all UPC customer services suck to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

@Ginny

I'm in Swords too and my service hasn't been working properly since mid March, I keep losing the phone and broadband....I've been moved to the new lines and it hasn't made any difference.

Was on to them again yesterday and have now lodged an official complaint...

Make notes of every time it goes and keep ringing them....if need be make a complaint also, upgrading the lines hasn't solved the issue for many people here and UPC need to get it fixed. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I have the same problem regarding existing phones. I thought that if I connected the lead from the modem into the existing house phone wiring I could access the UPC phone connection where I previously had phone extensions. However, the phones at these extensions just give the engaged tone.

I discovered the problem was that the engaged tone was coming from the disconnected eircom line. By isolating this from the internal house phone wiring I have been able to achieve what I wanted.

I know that I could have bought additional Dect phones but the ones I have work fine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

The best part with UPC is staying well clear of it. I'm fed up to my ears with this crap, and being charged 98 euros a month (101 before i set up the direct debit) is down right shameful. Yes, i've been downloading over the limit previously but as t is now with this epically crap"upgrade" and noone even taking responsibility for it goes beyond my beliefs. :mad:

I'm moving house within the month, which means i will have to leave UPC. In fact i'll take dial-up on my mobile phone over this. NEVER AGAIN, UPC! :mad:

I can't believe i left Smart for this crap.

(I guess i copy this message since i'll get 5 timeout's as usual, and have to restart the modem again.) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm on the 20mb UPC broadband, how do I upgrade to 30mb? I'm entitled to it right? I found the link previously in this topic to the speed change form but it just takes me to the UPC site map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

Tarabuses wrote: »

Disconnect the old eircom incomer pair of wires before you connect the UPC wire into the outlet. This will work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

UPC used todays rebrand to announce their 100Mb product! Anyone know when it will launch and how it will affect current customers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I'd say clear up the mess of the 30mb-upgrade before piling up more on the stack. But that's just me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

dMaN24 wrote: »
    I'd say clear up the mess of the 30mb-upgrade before piling up more on the stack. But that's just me. :)

...and me. The 20 Mb package is barely stable. The 30 Mb upgrade was a complete disaster from any sane person's point of view. Does UPC actually believe its own hype ?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Here's the info from one for their press releases today:

"The 100Mb service will initially be available to over a 1/3rd of a million homes in Dublin, Limerick and
    Cork from August 2010. Availability of the service will be expanded with the continued upgrade of
    UPC’s network, with availability to over 700,000 cabled homes by 2011."

So, still August as they originally stated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Hey Theta, figured I'll just ask here instead of starting a new thread. I'm moving from eircom to UPC for phone and broadband and had some queries on the phone service.

Just so I have this right, my existing eircome phone line connection wont work anymore and I'll need a new phone that plugs directly into the UPC router? How do people go about setting up a second phone in a house?

Since the phone and broadband will run of the same lines, how would downloading effect the phone service. On eircom, if I'm downloading a large file the internet can slow to a crawl. If this happens on UPC would it effect call quality?

Sorry I just saw your msg now.

Well you can split the phone line running into the modem and run it to another location to install a second phone that is no problem.

Same as the eircom line is just split and run to rooms around the house. I have the UPC line split and run to most of the rooms in the house.

You can use the current phone wiring in the house if its fully disconnected from eircom.

No its shouldnt have any bearing on phone quality. The only downside is if you lose power you lose phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Hi,
    I was offered the free upgrad today to 30meg from 20meg(which is really a measured 15megs), and in spite of repeatidly asking "whats the catch" was told "there is none....just sign the online form". I told the guy I would check out Boards.ie and get back to him.

The obvious has since dawned on me though........the catch is "extinguishing my old Jan 2008 contract and taking out a new one". I would not be surprised if there are a few barbs in the new contract, so why bother if I will automatically be upgraded in 2 weeks anyway, without any paperwork. The devil is always in the detail which few ever read. Anyone have any thoughts or insight on this?

I presume it has to do with a new pricing structure, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

These guys were giving me credit for last 3 months as i have had serious problems uploading faster than 1.4mb they say its 30 down 3 up.
    had 3 engineers (me arse i knew more about network then he did these guys are cable monkeys no more.)
    docsis whats docsis lol.

2 nd line call me up to say well escalate and still nothing then today my new bill is endowed with full charge i sent them a mail saying in 2 business days i will cut them off from my wallett end of story 3 months waiting for upc to sort out 30mb package is enough im really pissed at them and have not got another ounce of patience left with them.

My advice stay away from upc and all they have to offer adsl2 is rolling out across many isp's and wimax is about to take hold so screw NTL UPC good alternatives are coming.
    ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dirr-Durr

Its joke. 30 down 3 up was big news appr. 5 years ago in Europe and the price was around 30EUR then and they never provided me 3 up, never. 1.8 was the highest. 30 down? Yeah some times, betwen 3 and 7 AM, otherwise 20.
    Ping is 45-65 normaly, betwen 6 and 11 PM is 85-135.
    Take a look here: 33p9260.png
    In other countries 30 down and 4 up is guaranted by UPC. Highest is 120 down 10 up for 25EUR/month. How many years need for UPC Ireland something like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Dirr-Durr wrote: »
    Its joke. 30 down 3 up was big news appr. 5 years ago in Europe and the price was around 30EUR then and they never provided me 3 up, never. 1.8 was the highest. 30 down? Yeah some times, betwen 3 and 7 AM, otherwise 20.
    Ping is 45-65 normaly, betwen 6 and 11 PM is 85-135.
    Take a look here: 33p9260.png
    In other countries 30 down and 4 up is guaranted by UPC. Highest is 120 down 10 up for 25EUR/month. How many years need for UPC Ireland something like this?

Where is it €25 for 120mb down? it is €70.50 extra in Holland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dirr-Durr

Actualy its just €5. :D Hooops :eek:
    http://www.upc.sk/rychly-internet
    But doesnt matter €20-30 extra, if U know what I mean. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

Dirr-Durr wrote: »
    Actualy its just €5. :D Hooops :eek:
    http://www.upc.sk/rychly-internet
    But doesnt matter €20-30 extra, if U know what I mean. ;)

That's what happens most of the time when a company come to your country to suck your money, and the government doesn't give a **** about that particular issue. The company don't feel any will to be patriotic or something like that, to actually help people, you know?

If it is to compare, why not compare Hong Kong with their 1gbit/1gbit 100% FTTH for U$26? Let's not compare true FTTH with this docsis crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

That's what happens most of the time when a company come to your country to suck your money, and the government doesn't give a **** about that particular issue. The company don't feel any will to be patriotic or something like that, to actually help people, you know?

If it is to compare, why not compare Hong Kong with their 1gbit/1gbit 100% FTTH for U$26? Let's not compare true FTTH with this docsis crap!

It is a private company, they are not in business to help people, they are in business to make a profit. They have invested over €300,000,000 since they took over NTL and Chorus. And if you think that this docsis is crap , then stick to your copperwires.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    It is a private company, they are not in business to help people, they are in business to make a profit. They have invested over €300,000,000 since they took over NTL and Chorus. And if you think that this docsis is crap , then stick to your copperwires.

I'm totally aware of that, mate. You misunderstood me.

Have you already tried FTTH? FTTH is what anyone should use, i'm not saying that Docsis 3.0 is not better than, let's say, ADSL, of course it is. But compared to true fiber, totally crap!

And the reason that you see prices like that in that regions usually is because of the interest of the government on that issue, helping with the costs for companies really interested in helping people, that's when the "patriotic" comes in.

This is the case of the Asian communities that we (internet enthusiasts) aspire for. Like JP, KR, HK.

Got me, now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I'm totally aware of that, mate. You misunderstood me.

Have you already tried FTTH? FTTH is what anyone should use, i'm not saying that Docsis 3.0 is not better than, let's say, ADSL, of course it is. But compared to true fiber, totally crap!

And the reason that you see prices like that in that regions usually is because of the interest of the government on that issue, helping with the costs for companies really interested in helping people, that's when the "patriotic" comes in.

This is the case of the Asian communities that we (internet enthusiasts) aspire for. Like JP, KR, HK.

Got me, now?

Interesting Article about how they retrofitted Amsterdam with fiber to the door.

It was a challenge there where the majority of the population live in multi unit blocks. It would be a total nightmare to do here with the majority of the population in Dublin living in single unit houses.

edit: I may have posted this already.

810874417.png

Best upload to date

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Where is it €25 for 120mb down? it is €70.50 extra in Holland

In fairness to UPC, you cannot compare Ireland to the rest of europe, because or infrasrtucture is years behind due to lack of government investment.
    We are years behind the rest of Europe because of lack of investment.
    Eircom has changed hands god knows how many times in the last few years and has been used as a cash cow for everyone who has owned it, profits never spent on infrastructure.

No matter how much money UPC now spends in Irish infrastructure we will be behing Europe in general because of the poor starting position.
    I would guess the prices we pay here are a lot more expensive because they have spent a lot of cash getting it to where it is today where in other countries the basics would already be in place.
    Another reason is because Ireland is a complete rip off at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Anyone know if there are problems in south county Dublin? Specifically Shankill area.. considering dropping Eircom to get UPC. It's cheaper overall with the phone/tv, but Eircom have been solid for the past 5 months amazingly (7mb).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

I can't speak for Shankill, but for €32 a month I'm getting 14mb/s (on a 15mb cable) in Ballyboden. There were a few niggles at the start with hardware drivers, but very happy now after a month and a half. I was previously with Vodafone which was a joke. I guess I should thank them for driving me to switch.

KenH wrote: »
    I can't speak for Shankill, but for €32 a month I'm getting 14mb/s (on a 15mb cable) in Ballyboden. There were a few niggles at the start with hardware drivers, but very happy now after a month and a half. I was previously with Vodafone which was a joke. I guess I should thank them for driving me to switch.

Vodafone have only 3G type of connection, right? If it is, you shouldn't use it at all indeed.

Too bad many ppl don't understand this and end up with this crap kinda of thing that results in frustration with poor speeds/latency/stability.

Can i ask you for a www.pingtest.net to a distant European country? Really want to see the results. Thx!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

No. I'm not talking about Vodafone to go. They recently bought out BT and offer broadband at home.
    Here's the pingtest. Don't know what's going on with the packet loss (it's been fine before). It gets an A on the recommended server:

16643914.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement