Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

KenH wrote: »
    No. I'm not talking about Vodafone to go. They recently bought out BT and offer broadband at home.
    Here's the pingtest. Don't know what's going on with the packet loss (it's been fine before). It gets an A on the recommended server:

16643914.png

Very strange this 28ms of jitter, but 75ms is pretty cool for that distance. Thank you ^^.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry, this has probably already been mentioned, but whatever happened about everyone getting the upgrade for free, i.e. without signing a new contract? I thought this was meant to happen in March or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Sorry, this has probably already been mentioned, but whatever happened about everyone getting the upgrade for free, i.e. without signing a new contract? I thought this was meant to happen in March or something?

sent them a mail asking them a few days ago, still waiting fir a reply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I recently moved flat and asked for this upgrade, they told me it would be done this weekend (20-30meg), not sure if this applies to you without signing a new contract (but considering the form is gone from their site and I asked last week it could be the roll out for all), I will be with them another year anyways but they didnt say anything about a new contract afaik

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Was just thinking the same thing. I thought it was meant to happen in March?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I thought when they said free they meant "no extra cost" but you still had to sign up to a new 12 month contract. I signed up to the upgrade in Feb / March when I moved house. Maybe it's just me, but I had no problem signing up since they have always been good for me support and service wise (except that new modem that they gave me when I moved house, which I promptly got changed :) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

d31b0y wrote: »
    I thought when they said free they meant "no extra cost" but you still had to sign up to a new 12 month contract. I signed up to the upgrade in Feb / March when I moved house. Maybe it's just me, but I had no problem signing up since they have always been good for me support and service wise (except that new modem that they gave me when I moved house, which I promptly got changed :) ).

The new 12 month contract only applied if you registered and requested the upgrade. All other users will be upgraded automatically without a new contract. It was meant to happen in March/April but seems to be delayed. I have been told I will get the upgrade again during the summer. I initially got the upgrade in Jan but had major problems with speeds so they put me back on my old settings, which i have had no speed problems with at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It could be happening this weekend, I see no reason its taking them until then to give my upgrade so I'm guessing it could be for everyone, that form to request the upgrade/sign new contract is gone from their site, will let you know if I get the upgrade at the weekend

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Just over a week since the last post here, does this indicate all the problems with speed etc are resolved? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

I was wondering the same thing myself... but speaking for my own connection, it may even have got worse recently.

I've had no improvement since the recent firmware update of SciA modems (okay, it's not dropping the connection after starting downloads, but it's not changing frequency when the active freq is clearly congested).

I've also had intermittent packet loss issues (up to 10%, which is really quite bad) and for some reason have had problems browsing while downloading. The downloading/browsing issue was improved by using Google DNS instead of UPC's DNS.

Bottom line - between 5pm and midnight, I average 20Mbit. 1am to 8am, the full 30Mbit is available.

I must call UPC and give out again... I have Friday off so maybe then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

My problem with the modem disconnecting and rebooting during a download was fixed by a firmware release two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

What modems do you guys have for which there is a new firmware?

Our uplink dies almost everytime we try to download/upload something at normal speeds (i.e. what we're paying for). Only way to get a connection again is to restart the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

I've got the Cisco EPC2425.

I don't know how to update firmware and couldn't find any on cisco website.

Any news on 30meg update switchover?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Rickard wrote: »
    I've got the Cisco EPC2425.

I don't know how to update firmware and couldn't find any on cisco website.

You don't, UPC control the firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Skittle wrote: »
    My problem with the modem disconnecting and rebooting during a download was fixed by a firmware release two weeks ago.

This came down from UPC automatically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sometimes, but you may want to ring them and let them know so they know to look for the issue and can upgrade your firmware manually if it needs it.

on my side (navan) it's been pretty good since they replaced something on the head end in my area a week or so ago.

currently:
    827632915.png

but it's been as high as:
    821578862.png

still getting phone dropouts though on a regular basis so i'll have to get them to look into that properly again now that the other issues are fixed.

btw, i never get totally reliable bandwidth measurement from either heanet (with a single download) or the magnet or speedtest.net sites, but just recently speedtest.net has been more reliable than the magnet one for me based on the bandwidth measurement tools on my router.

imho, with a 30mbps connection the only way to get a completely reliable test is to download multiple linux ISO's from 2-3 different heanet mirrors with a good download manager or you just won't max it out.

EDIT: emailed them this morning and got a callback this afternoon which was a bit of a shock as its usually a couple of days if at all and they said that the issue is still present as they had to push out the head end repairs to the start of june, so fingers crossed when i get back from my wedding it'll be all good.

actually had a call drop out there this evening in the middle of the call which is a first, it normally just doesn't work when you pick it up. first time its happened mid-call. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Are UPC upgrading all old 20mb customers to 30mb? Or do you still have to apply with that form online and enter into a new 12 month contract?

We're on 20mb still at the moment, and even had the modem changed at the weekend for their phone services. Thought we were stuck on 20 cause of the old modem but there was no change to 30 in speed test (getting the same consistent 1mb upload and nearly 20 down).

Do we have to sign up to the new speed or should it be done automatically?

EDIT: Scrap that... read a page back and this was asked and answered! Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Hey,

I was on Magnet for 18 months on Fibre. A 50Mb connection with stable service, high speeds and no problems. So I was trying to figure out why a 30MB Fibre Power Line was giving less than 1/3 of the package speed and I wondered was it contended.

This site - http://www.uchoose.ie/providers/UPC shows the contention ratios for the various fibre power packages. It's 17:1 which is pretty high in my opinion but it is a simple get out clause for any reported issues with speed. Getting 10Mb on the 30Mb package. :(

Now can anyone advise why the Cisco modem just resets itself overnight? Does it get an automatic firmware upgrade? That's really a pain in the ass as it also resets the security, SSID and other configured elements back to the default.

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

i have a cisco router but that doesnt happen to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

mine doesnt reset but i used get an awful lot of packet loss since over wireless so i ended up getting a linksys wrt610n wireless access point and i get virtually no packet loss now.

im lucky enough speed wise. i seem to get around 25Mb during the day and 30+ at night.

are there any decent all in one cable modem's with wireless and gigabit ethernet out there in the wild?

• Advertisement

SoundWave wrote: »
    ...are there any decent all in one cable modem's with wireless and gigabit ethernet out there in the wild?

Is it easy to configure an all in one for the UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭JDxtra

BostonB wrote: »
    Is it easy to configure an all in one for the UPC?

You HAVE to use the modem supplied by UPC. But, you can plug it into your own cable router. Usually, there is no additional configuration required (apart from the wireless security settings you want to specify).

I know that. I'm just curious about an all in one unit, as I think UPC do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

SoundWave wrote: »
    mine doesnt reset but i used get an awful lot of packet loss since over wireless so i ended up getting a linksys wrt610n wireless access point and i get virtually no packet loss now.

im lucky enough speed wise. i seem to get around 25Mb during the day and 30+ at night.

are there any decent all in one cable modem's with wireless and gigabit ethernet out there in the wild?

Did you not turn off the firewall on your Cisco router this is mine with it off

18478515.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭JDxtra

BostonB wrote: »
    I know that. I'm just curious about an all in one unit, as I think UPC do one.

They do indeed. And here is the manual for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

bryaner wrote: »
    Did you not turn off the firewall on your Cisco router this is mine with it off

18478515.png

yeap had the FW turned off on mine.

was also taking about 2 minutes to re-connect to wifi after laptop resumed from sleep. and in general the speeds i was getting over wifi were terrible, and i also coudnt see my NAS drive over wifi.. but from reading some other threads here that seems to be down to multicast packets not being able to travel from wired to wireless on the EPC2425.

anyways.. im happy now with the linksys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

UPC 30mb in Greenhills running slow. Why are we paying for 30mb when its only running at 10mb max

Just got off the phone to UPC and the usual answer, we will get someone to call you back, Come on get your act together UPC

http://www.speedtest.net/result/845228484.png

845228484.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

UPC 30mb in Greenhills running slow. Why are we paying for 30mb when its only running at 10mb max

Just got off the phone to UPC and the usual answer, we will get someone to call you back, Come on get your act together UPC

http://www.speedtest.net/result/845228484.png

845228484.png

845527075.png

Are you running wireless or wired?

Wireless will not pass on the 30meg download speed or anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

ive thrown in the towel.. back to eircom. one of the uncontested 8mb NGB products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

Ranicand wrote: »
    845527075.png

Are you running wireless or wired?

Wireless will not pass on the 30meg download speed or anything like it.

I have tested both, makes no odds, exactly the same speeds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement