Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

hey i was thinking of changing to UPC from eircom 3MEG
    What are the set up and installation fees just for broadband and home phone for them to go to your house and set it up
    (also do they make a mess with wires or anything like that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I have tested both, makes no odds, exactly the same speeds

Bar the outage yesterday, I've never exceeded 22mbps wireless. And the same on ethernet. Currently on 8.5mbps ( 21.40pm ). Contention = UPC . Been saying it for months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rezzer

I was hoping I would never be posting here but here I am.
    My problem is my speed has dropped. since 30meg has come on the market i have been getting 31.9meg all the time but the last two weeks its dropped to between 10 and 13meg. The magnet speed test says 24meg which has to be wrong and speed test.net says 13ish.
    Upc is looking at the magnet results and saying everything is dandy.
    Any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

rezzer wrote: »
    I was hoping I would never be posting here but here I am.
    My problem is my speed has dropped. since 30meg has come on the market i have been getting 31.9meg all the time but the last two weeks its dropped to between 10 and 13meg. The magnet speed test says 24meg which has to be wrong and speed test.net says 13ish.
    Upc is looking at the magnet results and saying everything is dandy.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Are you using the Limerick server? If so try using a different server. Limerick's one has some problems.

cheers for the reply & info but my problem is that my download speed is topping out at 12meg. Magnet speed test is giving a reading of 24meg and upc are saying things are fine but newsbin pro says different.
    With 30 connections to usenet i'm still getting 12meg. This would normally be 32meg download speed.
    This only started happening in the last 2 weeks.
    Is this happening to anyone else i'm wondering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

This is the kind of speeds I'm getting during the day these days.

847907783.png

Compare that to my sig, and there's a fairly significant difference.

What are the set up and installation fees just for broadband and home phone for them to go to your house and set it up
    (also do they make a mess with wires or anything like that)

(also do they make a mess with wires or anything like that),

gadge with those speeds i hope you are not paying for 30 meg. my sympathies.

fitzy94 installation is fine in most cases and upc.ie will tell you about all costs of their broadband.
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

I don't know for how long this will last but i'm back up to 31.9meg download.
    thank you god!!
    5 calls to upc it took. One woman in their call center would want a good kick up the hole.
    her- and is all your file sharing programs off.
    me- i don't file share.
    her- are you sure.
    me- yes. i don't file share.
    her- well we can check that here with our computers to see.
    me- excuse me. what are you trying to say? are you implying something?
    her- bah ummm ah. no no. etc etc.

Goul I say!!!

• Advertisement

gadge with those speeds i hope you are not paying for 30 meg. my sympathies.

fitzy94 installation is fine in most cases and upc.ie will tell you about all costs of their broadband.
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

thanks , I'm fed up with Eircom ....im getting 3meg (but apparantly they are only sending 2.5 down my line) for 29.99 P/M icon13.gificon8.gif
    im thinking about UPC 15megicon14.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

I had to post this. This is my speed from a hotel on wireless in the outskirts of Stockholm connecting to a server in Oslo. It makes my UPC 10meg at home seem laughable. The cost....100SEK or 10 euro for 7 days. Can anyone name a hotel in Ireland that can get those speeds for that price. It's not that far off what I pay for my home broadband.

848565559.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

My UPC is offline ATM. Tv is fine but my router is messing up again nit says it is operational but whenever I visit a website it just says forbidden and says I don't have permission. It's funny how it happened just after 10pm when customer service goes off. >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Check thats its not the firewall on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thewelk

In France I was paying 21 euro a month for a 100Mb connection. It would never get above 70Mb but for me it was ok because I'd been hardened by the Irish system before. The French complained like hell though.

Now back here in Dublin I didn't even bother going for the 30Mb because I knew it would be unreliable and so now I'm paying through the teeth for a 15Mb connection which seems to go down once a week.

Truly third world stuff and nobody tries to change it. I don't know which one it was (Magnet or UPC) who even had an advert for "FIBRE BROADBAND! (5Mb)". And it wasn't a joke or parody.

Ok, said my bit, I'm off to feel disappointed some more.

Good luck everyone...

thewelk wrote: »
    Truly third world stuff and nobody tries to change it. I don't know which one it was (Magnet or UPC) who even had an advert for "FIBRE BROADBAND! (5Mb)". And it wasn't a joke or parody.
    Probably UPC.

But Magnet do have a fibre network AFAIK, but it's in very limited parts of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 knucklesnoonan

:DComplained to UPC every week regarding my 30mb connection running around 12mb. A very helpful lady rang me from UPC on Monday and informed me that she had done a firmware upgrade on my modem. She asked me to check my speed when I got home and

F*** ME

Its running at 29.8 mb since.

After months of complaining, 2 months half price broadband its finally sorted.

Thankyou UPC I take it all back:P

I'm still good today.
    back in the fast lane.
    Nice 1:D

849465133.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I'm still good today.
    back in the fast lane.
    Nice 1:D

849465133.png

Mine was sorted about two months ago.
    849806051.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,918 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Got my new bill today and its back to full price yet they still haven't fixed the speed issue at 1am my speed is
    851015329.png

• Advertisement

Got my new bill today and its back to full price yet they still haven't fixed the speed issue at 1am my speed is
    851015329.png

Wireless or wired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gingerninja

Am with upc and figure they can alter the speeds on speedtest.net Look at mine!!! 32mb when I am paying for 15mb. 2+2=5 is looking quite realistic now!!! :confused:
    851029895.png

By the way...
    Checked another internet speed test and it came back at 12mb. Hum!!!
    Something aint right!!!

They can alter the speeds on speedtest.net Look at mine!!! 32mb when I am paying for 15mb. 2+2=5 is looking quite realistic now!!! :confused:
    851029895.png

Try it again?851033171.png

Its even gotten faster!!!
    851049064.png

I am not making this up! I am just showing it. Cause every other speed test shows speeds below 15mb

Its even gotten faster!!!
    851049064.png

I am not making this up! I am just showing it. Cause every other speed test shows speeds below 15mb

Things starting to look odd here too. 851051078.png851051646.png

Something aint right is it?? Check other speed testing sights.
    Like no one provides 100mb broadband in the country!!!
    Wonder will I hit 200mb

Something aint right is it?? Check other speed testing sights.
    Like no one provides 100mb broadband in the country!!!
    Wonder will I hit 200mb

Try this test I am getting 26meg on it.

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

Normal below what I am paying for speeds again.

Download Speed: 10412 kbps (1301.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I wonder whats happening with speedtest then???!!!???:confused::confused::confused:

Normal below what I am paying for speeds again.

Download Speed: 10412 kbps (1301.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I wonder whats happening with speedtest then???!!!???:confused::confused::confused:

UPC are getting 100meg ready many they have speeds set up on some test servers.

• Advertisement

Maybe so!! Will post back tomo with some speeds. Interesting to see if they stay this high.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement