Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SexVicar

They must be doing something today. Speeds have been normal all day for me but the latency is all over the place. I have been getting ping as bad as 1150ms at times this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I never trust that speed test site. I always get a mad burst on it that gives me super speeds

852637009.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,918 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Stokolan wrote: »
    I never trust that speed test site. I always get a mad burst on it that gives me super speeds

852637009.png

You need to disable your antivirus/firewall or else you'll get these weird results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gingerninja

That anti virus thing probably holds true!!! Think these are my first speed tests with new anti-virus sh*t!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

try this speed test site,..pick at least a 12MB download,..
    http://www.testmy.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

or here: www.url.ie/qv

always a good indicator I find. You don't have to save d/l the complete file of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

857281019.png

Got the 30Mb package, but never got more than 8/12Mb since it was installed last Saturday.
    Rang them tonight and had slightly better tests of 18/24Mb but will keep monitoring (and complain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Isaacunt

I`m fed up with all these crowds that promise this and that, why cant they give you a straight answer. I had a package with Vodafone which was 6mb, then they ring and offer up 30mb, but I asked what will I actually get and she says 12mb no problem. I said lovely we`ll try it cause the first 32 months was cheaper than what we were paying. Its been about 3 weeks and everytime on any speedtest site, I`m only getting 8.5ish mb.
    That`s bollox a ****y 2 extra mb and after the 3 months I`ll be paying more than my little 6mb, it not worth the money for 2mb.
    I updated my router, I`ve tried the speedtests with my anti-virus and firewall off and always the same.
    Its 2010 in this day and age the net should be flying for everyone....
    Is there anything else that could be done to speed up my net, other than paying more for more??

speedtest.png

wimmy wrote: »
    857281019.png

Got the 30Mb package, but never got more than 8/12Mb since it was installed last Saturday.
    Rang them tonight and had slightly better tests of 18/24Mb but will keep monitoring (and complain)

Did you just get the broadband package? How much are you paying for it?
    I`m thinking of switching...again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Isaacunt wrote: »
    I`m fed up with all these crowds that promise this and that, why cant they give you a straight answer. I had a package with Vodafone which was 6mb, then they ring and offer up 30mb, but I asked what will I actually get and she says 12mb no problem. I said lovely we`ll try it cause the first 32 months was cheaper than what we were paying. Its been about 3 weeks and everytime on any speedtest site, I`m only getting 8.5ish mb.
    That`s bollox a ****y 2 extra mb and after the 3 months I`ll be paying more than my little 6mb, it not worth the money for 2mb.
    I updated my router, I`ve tried the speedtests with my anti-virus and firewall off and always the same.
    Its 2010 in this day and age the net should be flying for everyone....
    Is there anything else that could be done to speed up my net, other than paying more for more??

speedtest.png

if your line can only handle a max of 12mb there is not much you can do really vodafones service is muck anyways id stay well clear of them..8 mb will be all that vodafone will give you same with eircom utv whatever provider its all down to what your line can take..i have a excellent phone line that can handle 19mb+ no problem but we never use it as we cant afford the line rental and costs for fast internet its a fecking ripp off so im stuck with o2 mobile BB for now which is grand for the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

Did you just get the broadband package? How much are you paying for it?
    I`m thinking of switching...again

Got the Triple play TV+Broadband+Phone, Fibreweb supersize HD they call it me think... And it's 85 quid.

€85 that`s a bit steep for me, I would have assumed that the did a line test or something to see what I can get, stupid me, doh de doh:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Looks like UPC have fixed the 30mb offering here.

865477912.png

19694453.png

Must check it again later on this evening to see if the results have changed by much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I mailed The Advertising Standards Association of Ireland back in February regarding UPC concerning

• Unlimited not meaning unlimited and no limit mentioned in the FUP
    • Advertising in Newspapers concerning price changes and not informing customers directly
    Received a reply today but still more time before an answer, still it's a start

picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=6709

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

DK32 wrote: »
    Looks like UPC have fixed the 30mb offering here.

865477912.png

19694453.png

Must check it again later on this evening to see if the results have changed by much.

Here too 866554843.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Here too 866554843.png

866567119.png
    Pretty good speeds here yesterday too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

866754476.png

Waterford.

19753425.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Me too in Navan for a while now. :)

832866432.png

19773129.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Mine is pretty nice too, all test done over wireless
    867232276.png
    19776732.png

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Has anybody in Swords been upgraded yet and is it reliable and are you getting the speeds you are supposed to get?

Im still on the 10mb package they dont even advertise anymore, I didnt sign up for the new contract but thought the auto upgrade would have come to me by now....... is it in Swords yet or delayed cause of the speed problems?

By the way, my 10mb package is perfectly reliable and top speed is 9.XXMB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

earlyapex wrote: »
    Has anybody in Swords been upgraded yet and is it reliable and are you getting the speeds you are supposed to get?

Im still on the 10mb package they dont even advertise anymore, I didnt sign up for the new contract but thought the auto upgrade would have come to me by now....... is it in Swords yet or delayed cause of the speed problems?

By the way, my 10mb package is perfectly reliable and top speed is 9.XXMB

Good question. I'm in Dublin 8 (Cork Street) in the same scenario (except for 20Mbs package). My speeds are in top form as well but this auto-upgrade seems to have been put on the back boiler.

868431014.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah I was hoping for the auto upgrade too :(

When it does though, I'll take my current 20mb package and trim it back to 15mb. Then maybe get some HD stuff for the TV instead with that extra bit of money :D I dont really need 30mb other than for bragging rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Hi guys,

nice little thread came out of it ;)

Now makes me wonder and I did use a little button called search in there.

Im just about to move to Haddington Road in dublin 4 and was wondering - if I have an option of going with UPC should I take it or look for other options? Is this still really such an ongoing issue with connection problems? I dont know if this is the case but is it true that though City Centre location I dont really have too many options to choose from.

Thanks for any replies guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Has anyone got wireless via UPC? Is there much involved in setting it up or do they do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Has anyone got wireless via UPC? Is there much involved in setting it up or do they do this?

UPC is cable broadband, you get a wireless router with the 15mb and 30mb packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Em. What?
    869497181.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Em. What?
    869497181.png

UPC are currently testing their next gen products (up to 100mb/s) afaik, so you may be lucky enough to get some really high d/l speeds at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

I'm moving into a new apt soon, really debating whether I should hold off on getting UPC broadband. I don't want to get something and be locked in for 12 months, and then a few weeks later they make everything cheaper with faster speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

UPC are currently testing their next gen products (up to 100mb/s) afaik, so you may be lucky enough to get some really high d/l speeds at times :)

Up to 100mb?
    The UPC NL Speed test I just did there went as high as 129mb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Up to 100mb?
    The UPC NL Speed test I just did there went as high as 129mb!

lol ha that can happen sometimes! Even on my 10Mbit line I got over 16mbps at times.
    I'm moving into a new apt soon, really debating whether I should hold off on getting UPC broadband. I don't want to get something and be locked in for 12 months, and then a few weeks later they make everything cheaper with faster speeds.

Your prerogative - I suppose you'd be better off going with a more expensive, slower solution from a competitor with no hope of an upgrade for years....:rolleyes:

When UPC up their speeds, they usually change all of the packages, and give current customers to opportunity to upgrade to the new speeds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement