Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France's disputed qualification rewarded with hefty cheques

• 08-12-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

France coach reckons he's not motivated by money!!.........bah!!

AFP - Raymond Domenech was in line to receive 826,222 euros in bonuses as a result of France's successful World Cup qualifying campaign, according to a report to be published in Le Monde on Tuesday.

Figures from the French Football Federation (FFF) showed that the France coach should receive 198,000 euros for the 2008-09 season and 328,222 for the current 2009-10 season, with a further 300,000 euros in image rights for both campaigns.

A player who participated in all of the France international matches that took place during the same period stood to receive 563,111 euros.

"Every qualifying match gives rises to a guaranteed minimum of 10,000 euros for each player called up, no matter what the result is," said Le Monde.

"To this fixed amount is added an additional bonus, as an incentive to qualification, of between 100,000 and 240,000 euros depending on the number of appearances the player has made.

"Another format applies for friendly matches: the bonus is unique but depends on the FIFA ranking of the opponent and the result of the match (18,000 euros for a victory over a team ranked among the top 10 in the world, 9,000 euros for a draw).

"The coach benefits from a double share due to an existing arrangement in place since the 1998 World Cup."

The bi-weekly magazine France Football claimed on November 20 that Domenech would receive 862,000 - a figure the coach himself described as "completely astounding".

"If it really was that, I would be as happy as anything," he said.

"But it is way over the mark. I won't even try and contradict the information because it is their usual editorial line. It is a lie. Money is not my motivation."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

please lock this thread mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Devereux sounds like a French name.

get him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »

Please stop trying to mod the forum.

This topic has wider implications actually, does it not strike people as strange that people on 50,000 a week need to be paid 10,000 a game to play for their country from a source that can surely afford the money to the same degree?

I mean imagine Drogba still getting pocket money from his mother in IC?

Why you need to be paid a cent (other than all associated costs) to play for your country when you are on a PL (or Other top flight league) wage is beyond me.

It seems like money the various Football Federations would be better off pumping elsewhere: grassroots etc- I mean are there really players out there who wouldn't turn out for their country if they were not being paid? It would be a relative pittance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

noodler wrote: »
    Please stop trying to mod the forum.

This topic has wider implications actually, does it not strike people as strange that people on 50,000 a week need to be paid 10,000 a game to play for their country from a source that can surely afford the money to the same degree?

I dont know how it actually works but if that is the case personally i think that during an international week the club should pay 10k less so that the player still gets his weekly wages but the club gets subsidised for essentially having to loan out their player, afterall they can get injured during international breaks (just ask Van Persie).

• Advertisement

I dont know how it actually works but if that is the case personally i think that during an international week the club should pay 10k less so that the player still gets his weekly wages but the club gets subsidised for essentially having to loan out their player, afterall they can get injured during international breaks (just ask Van Persie).

Do players not still get paid by their clubs in an international week? I was under the impression they still did to be honest - could be wrong.

However, even if you are right then you still have a situation where the player in question is taking 10,000 for representing his country (okay thats for France but its all relative to population/country size). It just seems so pointless, giving rich players a little bit more money they don't need whilst depriving the country as a whole.

Do players not still get paid by their clubs in an international week? I was under the impression they still did to be honest - could be wrong.

However, even if you are right then you still have a situation where the player in question is taking 10,000 for representing his country (okay thats for France but its all relative to population/country size). It just seems so pointless, giving rich players a little bit more money they don't need whilst depriving the country as a whole.

not all players who play international football are rich tbf.

they deserve to be paid imo, away from their families for long periods, risking injury, working hard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i was saying how i think it should be not how it is and yes obviously you would question the need to pay so much for what should be an honour but i guess thats just the way it is as said its perhaps looked on as a sort of compensation for having to do the same work they do normally and risk injury wile on international duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Thank god you arent a mod, all we would talk about is how evil Man United are and from time to time talk about Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

they deserve to be paid imo, away from their families for long periods, risking injury, working hard.

Good evening Stephen, how are they all at Maine Road???

• Advertisement

i was saying how i think it should be not how it is and yes obviously you would question the need to pay so much for what should be an honour but i guess thats just the way it is as said its perhaps looked on as a sort of compensation for having to do the same work they do normally and risk injury wile on international duty.

We aren't sure if the clubs still pay players in international weeks then?

I hear what you are saying Alan but they are similar risks/responsibilities they have to put up with all year round and get paid vast sums for in the process. If Wes Houlahan, for example, was called up to the squad tomorrow I seriously doubt he would be concerned about how much he is being paid. I know they are not rich but at the same time you don't need to be if the FAI is actually paying for your expenses etc.

If you require 10,000e on top of what Madrid pay you (assuming clubs DO pay their players involved in international duty in said weeks) then it just seems downright wasteful. I guess I am probably bigging up the honour aspect too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

We aren't sure if the clubs still pay players in international weeks then?

I'm pretty sure they are.

There was a dispute over the fact that football federations should pay insurance for the clubs players when they are on international duty - but it wasn't viable as they'd be paying millions and millions for every match.

Advertisement