Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Image resolution?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was recently in contact with a USB printing company about getting my schools crest printed on to USB's, so I sent him an image of the school crest and he replied saying that the image was not good enough for printing and that I should change it into eps form or a better resolution??? So anyway I tried that with some 30 day free trial thing and that doesnt seem to have worked either. Would anybody be able to help me with this????

sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I recommend that you download GIMP:

And then read this of this image resizing how to (pdf download shoud popup).

All going well hopefully you will be able to increase the size without a noticible loss in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How big is this image of the school crest exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

marco_polo wrote: »
    I recommend that you download GIMP:

And then read this of this image resizing how to (pdf download shoud popup).

All going well hopefully you will be able to increase the size without a noticible loss in quality.
    i alreay have GIMP but I'm not too sure how to use it I will try that though. This is the crest.

I see what he meant. The image is kinda fuzzy. And small. 190x290... Ideally you want something thats Clear and at least 2 or 3 times as much definition but you cant just blow up this copy of the image and expect it to be crisp.

The School Administration probably has a high res of the crest on file

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

convert it to a vector, its perfect for it, i ran it here and it produced a perfect vector with perfect clarity which a much much larger resolution( and perfect for printing ) http://vectormagic.com/home

you could also download some freeware software to do the task for you, i cant name any off hand as ive not done this in about 10 years lol, and desktop publishing software will also do it.

*EDIT* Im surprised the fool at the printing company didnt know that

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    convert it to a vector, its perfect for it, i ran it here and it produced a perfect vector with perfect clarity which a much much larger resolution( and perfect for printing ) http://vectormagic.com/home

you could also download some freeware software to do the task for you, i cant name any off hand as ive not done this in about 10 years lol, and desktop publishing software will also do it.

*EDIT* Im surprised the fool at the printing company didnt know that
    You could have posted your results up here you know! :pac:

Here,

schoolcool.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Overheal wrote: »
    You could have posted your results up here you know! :pac:

Here,

schoolcool.jpg
    lol, i was, but didnt for 2 reasons:
    1. the resolution of that tool is too low still i could only get an 800x600 image or so, cant remember was slightly bigger than the one you posted, its still not good enough for printing professionally, so a freeware tool/DTP software to convert to vector is still the better option.
    2. Unless you upload as a bmp it will have lossy jpg problems ruining the print :P, i tried it and it was 1.2Megs for the .bmp ( on my crappy upload would have taken forever ), i tried .gif in paint and it ruined it, would work in Gimp though but i was too lazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭dbrowne9212

ideally you want an EPS (vector) version of the logo. i'd ask someone in the school (mabye whoever oversees the school annual if you have one) if they have a copy of the logo in vector format or high res raster (jpg for example)

otherwise you could use the "live trace" feature of illustrator CS3 or CS4 but the results will probably be far from perfect. the last and probably best option if none of the above suit/work you'll nedd to trace it by hand in illustrator. if you dont know how to do this (and it would take a fair bit of time and proficency in illustrator as well as a good eye) then you might need to see if you can get a graphic designer or similar to do it for you.

i could do it if you are desperate but i wont have the time till the week after next probably.

Advertisement