Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wolfsburg v Manchester United - 8/12/09 - 7.45pm (Match Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We should've hammered them with that team.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

kenon wrote: »
    Delighted for Owen. He looked pacey for the last goal.

According to Cascarino, he was being chased by a guy with a parachute on his back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

christ cascarino looks like a slimey drunken homeless person they dragged in off the street

kenon wrote: »
    Delighted for Owen. He looked pacey for the last goal.

Absolutely loved Scholes' performance, really made united tick.

i thought he tired quite a bit in the second half (understandably) and his performance suffered as a result.

nuxxx wrote: »
    christ cascarino looks like a slimey drunken homeless person they dragged in off the street

he IS.

can't stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

saf: could be vidic with carrick and fletch as RB :( against villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

According to Cascarino, he was being chased by a guy with a parachute on his back!
    Cascarino shouldn't be quoted on boards! Or anywhere for that! :)

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

:eek:
    :)

Headshot wrote: »
    saf: could be vidic with carrick and fletch as RB :( against villa

i was hoping Brown might be back for the Villa game, but Fletcher would probaly still have been the right back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

That's the best thng he's ever said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Are you watching Merseyside? Thats how to deal with an injury crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sensational Michael Owen, just sensational. And a hell of a result with that team. Chuffed all round.

niallk wrote: »
    That's the best thng he's ever said.

Yep! If that was Lawerenson, it'd would have been some ould turkey about the defender having "run out of legs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

KevIRL wrote: »

24 injured players :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson: "Our form is good so we are confident going into any match. Nemanja Vidic will return against Aston Villa on Saturday and Michael Carrick will partner him in defence. Patrice Evra will play left-back and Darren Fletcher right-back. It's a big game."

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson:

Who?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are both of the Da Silva twins carrying injuries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is anyone listening to Ruud Gullit on Sky? He makes Jamie Redknapp look like Arsene Wenger. What planet is the guy on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

United fans unreal tonight, kept the boys going all night. Great stuff.

Scholes was unreal tonight, don't remember him giving away the ball once, but in fairness best passing and ball retention I've seen from us in a while. Besides his goal. Owen worked his socks off and put in a massive shift, take note Nani and Wellbeck to a degree. Everything bounced off Wellbeck tonight. Watch Scholes for the first goal, vintage, noone else in Utd side can provide an impetus to an attack like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think I have just fallen in love with Michael Owen.

• Advertisement

Are both of the Da Silva twins carrying injuries?

Nope, but Fergie said "Rafael and Fabio will certainly not feature against Villa".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

powerfade wrote: »
    United fans unreal tonight, kept the boys going all night. Great stuff.

Scholes was unreal tonight, don't remember him giving away the ball once, but in fairness best passing and ball retention I've seen from us in a while. Besides his goal. Owen worked his socks off and put in a massive shift, take note Nani and Wellbeck to a degree. Everything bounced off Wellbeck tonight. Watch Scholes for the first goal, vintage, noone else in Utd side can provide an impetus to an attack like him.

I put some of this down to having midfielders in the back four. dodgy when you don't have the ball but when you have it theres a lot of composure there. Carrick threaded sone lovely balls through from cb. any regular cb would have never tried to do it.

it was like a team of midfielders at times, all playing keep ball :)

v happy with the game. great to see obertan deliver a bit on the promise he has shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Special praise for our leader tonight, was immense

patrice_evra.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

PHB wrote: »
    Well, that was just a fan-****ing-tastic team performance, great to see.

One thing I wanted to note was that Gibson really impressed me today, much more than he actually has in the past 2 games where he scored. His passing was utterly outstanding today, fantastic. In the first half particuarly he was binging balls all around the park. His tracking back was also excellent, and just before Owen scored his third, Gibson was the midfielder who got back and prevented an almost certain goal.

Great performance from him in all aspects of his game, which I must say, really surprised me. He's stepping up, and if he can push on and maintain, he's got a real future at United.

Anderson was poor I thought, was trying to force the issue I felt.
    Welbeck needs to cop and and get onside more, shocking amount of unnecessary offsides.

Obertan set up two goals tonight with picking the right passes. Really impressive cameo. Looking like a great little super sub for us. Still has to impress when starting.

Nani, gosh where do you start? Has utterly regressed since his first season, really badly. His future must be under the spotlight. I really can't see Fergie turning down a 12million + bid for him.

All of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

KevIRL wrote: »
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Owen proving to be a great signing really. Doesn't sulk, always looks dangerous, and has a very good return of goals already. Plus he was free.

Tonight was a testament to how good the Man Utd squad really is. To go to a team that won the German league last year with literally no defence, and the 2 main forwards missing and win 3-1 is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Did he just call him 'Dame Darron Gibson'? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Unearthly wrote: »
    Owen proving to be a great signing really. Doesn't sulk, always looks dangerous, and has a very good return of goals already. Plus he was free.

Tonight was a testament to how good the Man Utd squad really is. To go to a team that won the German league last year with literally no defence, and the 2 main forwards missing and win 3-1 is amazing.

Were they injured?

RasTa wrote: »
    Special praise for our leader tonight, was immense

patrice_evra.jpg

na na na na na na na na EVRA, na na na na na na na na EVRA, na na na na na na na na EVRA... EVRA... EVRA....EEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRAAAAAA

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Were they injured?

Yep - Rooney hamstring (i think), Berbatov knee, Kiko out injured too.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Were they injured?

Yep - Rooney with a hamstring injury, Berba, knee injury. Neither travelled & both look unlikely to start against Villa.

alex ferguson man of the match? lol

tony c is losing the plot

the biggest improvment to owen's game is his heading??!!?!??!?!?!?

i give up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Neither travelled & both look unlikely to start against Villa.

Source?

Source?

Man Utd.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Man Utd.com
    Can you be more specific?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

All I can see on mautd.com is that they are both doubtful for the Vills game. Not really thr same thing as unlikely to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

adox wrote: »
    All I can see on mautd.com is that they are both doubtful for the Vills game. Not really thr same thing as unlikely to play.

"Ah now you're splittin' hairs, Bill"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Missed the second half as I had soccer, but that is one hell of a result to get away to the German champions with the most makeshift defence I've seen United field since Mr William Prunier made his inauspicious debut.

Delighted for Owen as well, LOL at those people who said a few months ago they'd rather Voronin in their squad than he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A great performance from one to eleven from United tonight. Taught Gibson played decent few poor passes but he was more in the game tonight and looked for the ball much more which was good to see. He also gave three very good diagonal balls to Nani think twice and Park.

Scholes was again centre to much of the the good play and he was key to the set up of the first goal before he gave ball to Nani to cross to score.

Fletcher I taught had very good game for guy playing out of position.

Was also pleased with Park taught he did well considering the amount games he has played this season.

as for for Owen well congrats on your hatrick son. Should give you much needed confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Nope, but Fergie said "Rafael and Fabio will certainly not feature against Villa".

They're both carrying injuries at the moment,they would of been playing otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

PHB wrote: »
    Well, that was just a fan-****ing-tastic team performance, great to see.

One thing I wanted to note was that Gibson really impressed me today, much more than he actually has in the past 2 games where he scored. His passing was utterly outstanding today, fantastic. In the first half particuarly he was binging balls all around the park. His tracking back was also excellent, and just before Owen scored his third, Gibson was the midfielder who got back and prevented an almost certain goal.

Great performance from him in all aspects of his game, which I must say, really surprised me. He's stepping up, and if he can push on and maintain, he's got a real future at United.

Anderson was poor I thought, was trying to force the issue I felt.
    Welbeck needs to cop and and get onside more, shocking amount of unnecessary offsides.

Obertan set up two goals tonight with picking the right passes. Really impressive cameo. Looking like a great little super sub for us. Still has to impress when starting.

Nani, gosh where do you start? Has utterly regressed since his first season, really badly. His future must be under the spotlight. I really can't see Fergie turning down a 12million + bid for him.

Thought Anderson played well myself. And how many games has Obertan started??

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Couldn't have asked for more. Obertan was class for the second goal. Scholes was man of the match by a country mile. Well done SAF too, he deserves a hell of alot of credit for the performance tonight, in the circumstances he picked the perfect team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

flahavaj wrote: »
    the most makeshift defence I've seen United field since Mr William Prunier made his inauspicious debut.

Now thats a blast from the past! He actually did well in his first game, had a shocker in 2nd game against Spurs and that as the fella says, was that!:D

The great feeling tonight is that despite possibly the worst injury crisis in the Ferguson years, you have guys like Carrick and Fletcher who dig in and roll their sleeves up and get the job done. Yeah, it was shaky at times, but hats off to them boys, hats off indeed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Thought Anderson played well myself.

like wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

Man u were excellent tonight, defence did well considering only one was actually a defender. Scholes, anderson and owen were class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Good win for a United side that was seemingly depleted due to injuries, glad to see Gibson in the side and by accounts he did well. It's always good to win the group, any idea of who you might be potentially up against?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I thought we got out of jail with the defending though can't really fault the players playing there.The finishing from the two headers and the miss just before the 3rd Owen goal were pretty shocking for this level.Throw in the peno that wasn't given and imo we were fortunate to get such a scoreline.

Delighted with the result nonetheless but more worried if we don't get a proper defender fit for the weekend... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Good win for a United side that was seemingly depleted due to injuries, glad to see Gibson in the side and by accounts he did well. It's always good to win the group, any idea of who you might be potentially up against?

Bayern, Porto, AC Milan, Lyon/Fiorentina, Barca/Inter, Olympiakos, Sevilla/Stuttgart/Unirea...

A trip to Greece would be nice, well... after Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement