Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wolfsburg v Manchester United - 8/12/09 - 7.45pm (Match Thread)

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Good win for a United side that was seemingly depleted due to injuries, glad to see Gibson in the side and by accounts he did well. It's always good to win the group, any idea of who you might be potentially up against?

Of the groups decided tonight, Bayern, Milan & Porto... of the undecided groups, Fiorentina or Lyon in Group E.. Groups F&G are still pretty open as far as I can see & in Group F, Olipiacos or Standard as aArsenal have already won that group.

(Or as posted above!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I might be admitting some ignorance here football wise, but I think United could win against any of those teams. Lyon however might be difficult, especially as their keeper is amazing. Wasn't he the same keeper in the side that played Ireland over the two legs for the play-offs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I might be admitting some ignorance here football wise, but I think United could win against any of those teams. Lyon however might be difficult, especially as their keeper is amazing. Wasn't he the same keeper in the side that played Ireland over the two legs for the play-offs?

Yep - he's the one french player who's supposed to handle the ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Good day at the office for Utd, actually an excellent day considering the patch up defense. 24 Man Utd players are actually carrying varying degrees of injuries at the moment, other teams lose 2-3 players and we all know about it with the non-stop whining. Sir Alex just get's on with it - class act!
    Only downside is Nani, he's a disaster, it will take a miracle for him to be kept on at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Good day at the office for Utd, actually an excellent day considering the patch up defense. 24 Man Utd players are actually carrying varying degrees of injuries at the moment, other teams lose 2-3 players and we all know about it with the non-stop whining. Sir Alex just get's on with it - class act!
    Only downside is Nani, he's a disaster, it will take a miracle for him to be kept on at Old Trafford.

Can't get over how consistently useless he is. He doesn't seem to learn from mistakes or progress at all. I'd snap anyones hand off if they offered a few bob for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I put some of this down to having midfielders in the back four. dodgy when you don't have the ball but when you have it theres a lot of composure there. Carrick threaded sone lovely balls through from cb. any regular cb would have never tried to do it.

it was like a team of midfielders at times, all playing keep ball :)

Exactly the way Barcelona play!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This morning I had a Liverpool fan 'friend' of mine tell me that Owen was brutal last night:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

That's 7 goals in 765 minutes now for Owen. Almost a goal a game. Not bad for a freebie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This morning I had a Liverpool fan 'friend' of mine tell me that Owen was brutal last night:rolleyes:

Mr. Alan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pighead wrote: »
    That's 7 goals in 765 minutes now for Owen. Almost a goal a game. Not bad for a freebie.

The real hope now is that he can maintain his form last night again. He got lots of chances last night and took them. His finishing so far with United has been suspect. He needs to get games I'd say to regain his clincal nature, but lets hope this game is a sign he's regained his clinical nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

PHB wrote: »
    The real hope now is that he can maintain his form last night again. He got lots of chances last night and took them. His finishing so far with United has been suspect. He needs to get games I'd say to regain his clincal nature, but lets hope this game is a sign he's regained his clinical nature.
    True. Who do you think he works best with though, Rooney or Berbatov? I actually think that he would work better with Berbatov but obviously Rooney has to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pighead wrote: »
    True. Who do you think he works best with though, Rooney or Berbatov? I actually think that he would work better with Berbatov but obviously Rooney has to start.

Same - Berbs and Owen look a good partnership, from the little we have seen of them together.

I think he's likely to work better with Berbatov personally. However I think that's a good thing frankly, because we need to be able to rely on not having Rooney in the team from time to time. Also, I do think that towards the end of the year, if Owen can actually build on his form, we'll start seeing matches in the latter stages of the CL like this,

Berbatov----Owen

Roooney
    Valencia

Anderson--Fletcher

That's only if Owen can step it up though continously. If not, Rooney will be kept up front and hopefully somebody will step up and make the LW position his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

PHB wrote: »
    I think he's likely to work better with Berbatov personally. However I think that's a good thing frankly, because we need to be able to rely on not having Rooney in the team from time to time. Also, I do think that towards the end of the year, if Owen can actually build on his form, we'll start seeing matches in the latter stages of the CL like this,

Berbatov----Owen

Roooney
    Valencia

Anderson--Fletcher

That's only if Owen can step it up though continously. If not, Rooney will be kept up front and hopefully somebody will step up and make the LW position his.

Except Ferguson often doesn't play a 4-4-2 in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Boggles wrote: »
    Mr. Alan?

No he said friend

Ush1 wrote: »
    Except Ferguson often doesn't play a 4-4-2 in Europe.

That was last year. Ronaldo provided a massive goal threat from the wings. Times may change now.

Advertisement