Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd situation - what would you do?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

** Apologies if this has been asked before and I couldn't find it**

Hey folks,

This happened in a game among friends last weekend and I wanted to throw it out to people and see what they thought.

We were down to the last four in a seven-people game. The blinds were 50 and 100. Two of us go out of the hand leaving the other two to face off. Player A looks like he has around 1100 chips, Player B looks like he has around 800 or so. Player B announces all in, Player A asks for a count. Player B says he has 820 left. Player A thinks about it for a while and eventually calls.

They turn the cards over and it turns out Player B wins the hand. But on totting up his chips again, he realises that he has more than the 820 he announced when asked for the call. He has, in fact, 980.

What happens here? How much should Player A pay Player B?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

The blinds were 50 and 100. Player A looks like he has around 1100 chips, Player B looks like he has around 800 or so. Player B announces all in, Player A asks for a count. Player B says he has 820 left. Player A thinks about it for a while and eventually calls.

They turn the cards over and it turns out Player B wins the hand. But on totting up his chips again, he realises that he has more than the 820 he announced when asked for the call. He has, in fact, 980.

What happens here? How much should Player A pay Player B?

Player B is paid off. Player A should have asked for an exact count before calling if this was a concern.

Player A is calling an "all in" not a bet of 820.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Maolseachlainn

Thanks for the reply. That's what happened in the end alright, it just seemed a little unfair to me. To Player A's mind, he had asked for an exact count. Short of counting them out himself, surely he'd have just take Player B's word for it that the count was accurate. Player B wasn't looking to deceive him - he made a genuine mistake. Is it not unfair that he should profit from that mistake? Especially seeing as there is a fair chance he wouldn't have made the call had he had the correct count?

To Player A's mind, he had asked for an exact count. Short of counting them out himself, surely he'd have just take Player B's word for it that the count was accurate. Player B wasn't looking to deceive him - he made a genuine mistake. Is it not unfair that he should profit from that mistake? Especially seeing as there is a fair chance he wouldn't have made the call had he had the correct count?

If he wanted an exact count he should not have called an all in based on an estimation.

Fair point I guess. Thanks for taking the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also, total chips in play looks like 2100 so there's a discrepency of almost 200 which could/should/might have been noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

bp_me wrote: »
    Player B is paid off. Player A should have asked for an exact count before calling if this was a concern.

Player A is calling an "all in" not a bet of 820.

Yeah this. Give all the moneys to player B.
    Especially seeing as there is a fair chance he wouldn't have made the call had he had the correct count?

With blinds 50-100, whether the allin is 820 or 980 should not make the tiniest bit of difference. To say he would fold if he knew it was 980 but called the 820 is lol. Pure angleshoot by Player A trying to hold onto 160 chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Lets change the situation a little bit, dealer dealt, 4 left, player b pushes all in, player c asks for a count and is told by the dealer its 14,200. He decides to call but at the end of the hand its realised that player B's actual stack is 16,800.

What should the decision be in this instance?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

It's the same outcome as b pushed all-in. KITN for the dealer here.

pkr_ennis wrote: »

Sounds like a self dealt game. KITN for the lad who can't be arsed counting his chips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

pkr_ennis wrote: »

Have to say I disagree here. Surely its the dealers responsibility to give the correct count to the player. If a player asks for a count, surely he has to trust the dealer, or does he now have to count the chips for himself aswell?

If I was TD in this situation I'd make player A call the 14.2k but not the remainder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lets change the situation a little bit, dealer dealt, 4 left, player b pushes all in, player c asks for a count and is told by the dealer its 14,200. He decides to call but at the end of the hand its realised that player B's actual stack is 16,800.

What should the decision be in this instance?
    bp_me wrote: »
    Sounds like a self dealt game. KITN for the lad who can't be arsed counting his chips :D

Reading comprehension FTW.

DPT. If the dealer miscounts, and its a reasonable amount. Then the player should only have to pay the announced stack size.

Yeah, it was a self-dealt game among friends. Sorry, I should have made that clearer in the original query

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

A GUY GOES ALL IN, PLAYER B ASKS FOR A COUNT
    DEALER COUNTS AND ANNOUNCES 3700, THE GUY SAYS OK I CALL
    THEN THE DEALER NOTICES A 5K CHIP AND NOW THE GUY LOSES THE PLOT AND SAYS HE WOULDNT HAVE CALLED FOR 8700 AS ITS NEARLY ALL HIS STACK
    FLOOR IS CALLED
    TD SAYS SORRY BUT YOU SAID CALL, ALBEIT A DEALER ERROR
    HOWEVER TO BE FAIR I WILL ALLOW YOU FORD THE OTHER 5K BUT NOT THE 3700
    THE GUY SAYS, WELL THATS A FUNNY RULING, EITHER I HAVE TO CALL OR I DONT, THATS A HALF HEARTED WIMP DECISIION

THE td STANDS BY HIS RULING
    THE GUY CALLS AND THE BOTH HAVE AQ AND CHOP UP THE POT

NOW THE 1ST GUY IS PISSED COZ OF THE DEALER ERROR, HE ONLY GETS TO SPLIT THE POT INSTEAD OF PUSHING THE OTHER GUY OFF THE HAND

NO PLEASING SOME PEOPLE

DEREK

Advertisement