Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal Prices In Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

After burning some of the 40kg bag, I think its not really good coal. Unless you keep it lit well , it dies off a bit. Needs mixed.

I guess you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

3 bails of briquettes for €10 seems to be the norm....I have yet to see it any cheaper anywhere

Bought a bag of Polish Coal from Chadwicks, Naas the other day for €15.50
    Its not smokeless so they are asking for your address and will only sell it to you if you are outside the smokeless area zone

Havent tried it yet to compare it to the bags I got in Murphys, out by Mondello which I think is great stuff but €1 more and a longer drive for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Barretts in Maynooth are selling 40Kg Polish smoky coal for €15.75. I think the smokeless is about an extra €1.

Also doing 3 for €10 on briquettes, woodlogs, and eco-logs - mix and match.

A few other offers on larger amounts too, can't remember the details though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Barretts in Maynooth are great for prices ok but I hate how you have to queue up behind people looking for loads of hardware stuff and sometimes not exactly sure what they want, suddenly remembering other bits they need and what not. e.g. "have you got a gizmo for connecting into one of them yokes that........oh and I need a few......sure ya might as well throw in a spare blade as well.........and now what else do I need"
    Then when you eventually get your turn, if you haven't already gone home:), you give in your order, pay and get a docket and then you have to find someone in the yard to get you the stuff.
    Yer man in the yard will date stamp the docket with something like April 2010 or the like.
    It's similar to the system in most builder providers type places and if you don't mind the hanging around it's ok.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Barretts in Maynooth are great for prices ok but I hate how you have to queue up behind people looking for loads of hardware stuff and sometimes not exactly sure what they want, suddenly remembering other bits they need and what not. e.g. "have you got a gizmo for connecting into one of them yokes that........oh and I need a few......sure ya might as well throw in a spare blade as well.........and now what else do I need"
    Then when you eventually get your turn, if you haven't already gone home:), you give in your order, pay and get a docket and then you have to find someone in the yard to get you the stuff.
    Yer man in the yard will date stamp the docket with something like April 2010 or the like.
    It's similar to the system in most builder providers type places and if you don't mind the hanging around it's ok.
    In fairness that would be considered good service . The check out guy in B&Q wont tell you about the other bits ya need and let you drive on home .

The guy in the yard should be loading the coal into your car.

Barretts is a bit of a wait. But a least if ya go in looking for a part you will leave with the right one. Hopefully .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It's fine if you are looking for help in the hardware department but if you are only there to pick up a few bales of briquettes or a bag of coal there is no quick in/out solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Has anyone used the place on the barberstown/maynooth road? Its just on the right hand side coming from b'stown.

Got two 35kg bags of Bord na mona Premium Stove coal in Mc Cartys Prosperous . 18 euro each. Very impressive stuff in the stove. Burns very hot and super clean. Even turned down , the glass is completely clean and clear.

Cost a bit more than the cheapo stuff they have, but worth twice its weight by the looks of it.

Im nearly down to the jocks and is blowing a winter storm outside.

Recommended .

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Raising this thread from the dead so to speak, anyone know where to get the cheapest also best burning coal around the curragh area also logs, I also see someone in Carlow doing 1 Tonne bags of logs for 45 euro
    MQL are doing 40kg bags of coal for 13 euro a bag but you must purchase 40 bags,
    good price but not sure of the quality, any advise on this would be great, I am sure there is people out there getting better deals, if so please let me know,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I got 40 bales of BNM briquettes delivered for €150 from Maynooth Solid Fuels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Not bad, just ordered 2 bags of logs, 1 tonne bags, getting delivered to the door for 90 euro, that's a dam good price, 45 euro for 1 tonne bag of logs is a great deal, now just looking for a dam good price on some coal

Got some of that stove coal last week.

17.50 in Chadwicks

Cat get over how much better than coal it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Best deals I've seen

Briquettes 3 for €11 in maxol opposite Naas Garda Station

3 for €21 for 20kg bags of coal in Conlons Texaco in Athy. - Standard quality which is fine for most normal size rooms / houses. For larger rooms premium coal is better value even if it is about 15% dearer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

1 tonne of logs for €45 seems a bit cheap. I used to get a trailer load, circa 3 ton, and that cost me €240. I've gone off logs completely now, don't have the storage. Just burning coal this year, bought a few bags of Phurnacite, €20 a bag. I saw a guy in Naas advertised on facebook, he called round to the house and emptied them in the bunker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

there is a coal depot near the topaz on the kilkeny side of Athy ( in a shed adjoining Tefral ) that has
    40kg bag of coal for 14.50
    40kg bag of coal for 15.50
    40kg bag of coal for 16.50
    coals go up in price due to grade

6.50 for a bag of logs. ( bag is a feed bag )

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Anyone know of any deals going in the Leixlip/Maynooth/Celbridge area? Have previously bought from the yard on the Celbridge to Lucan road but find him a bit pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Has anyone used the place on the barberstown/maynooth road? Its just on the right hand side coming from b'stown.
    have used it a few times,good seervice,deliverd wen u want it and seems fairly good value

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

North Kildare Maynooth/Kilcock area. Any one have updated prices for 20/40kg bags please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Just by chance, I got my first 20kg bag of coal of the season today from my usual place which is on the T-Junction of the Kilcock/Enfield and Summerhill Roads - €8.50

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think they're about the same in Naas oil in Kilcullen. They were last year anyway.

Does anybody know of someone who does a decent price if you buy a few bales and a small few bags of coal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

not in kildare, but if ur passing edenderry 40K bag is €14.75, fellow down by dunnes stores sells it

I got a good price from a local company who delivers. €30 for 40kg coal, 1 bag logs, 1 bag turf, 1 bale briquettes, 1 box fire lighters.

I waited in all day for him, no contact from them except a note on their FB page to say they had a busy morning and would "get to people eventually". Eventually, I had to go out to do stuff at 7:30pm, having wasted the whole day waiting on delivery, so cancelled my order via facebook (the only way I had to contact them). Absolutely no acknowledgement what so ever. Terribly unprofessional. It's easy to offer good prices when you don't follow through isn't it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Whispered wrote: »
    I got a good price from a local company who delivers. €30 for 40kg coal, 1 bag logs, 1 bag turf, 1 bale briquettes, 1 box fire lighters.

I waited in all day for him, no contact from them except a note on their FB page to say they had a busy morning and would "get to people eventually". Eventually, I had to go out to do stuff at 7:30pm, having wasted the whole day waiting on delivery, so cancelled my order via facebook (the only way I had to contact them). Absolutely no acknowledgement what so ever. Terribly unprofessional. It's easy to offer good prices when you don't follow through isn't it. :mad:
    There's nothing special about that price tbh

guil wrote: »
    There's nothing special about that price tbh

Oh really? That's good to know as this is the first year we've decided to buy actual fuel instead of a bale here and there and Fire logs etc. :o

Can you recommend anywhere which would do a price for similar or better? Delivery or collection. But household amounts. I don't want a tonne of coal :p Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh really? That's good to know as this is the first year we've decided to buy actual fuel instead of a bale here and there and Fire logs etc. :o

Can you recommend anywhere which would do a price for similar or better? Delivery or collection. But household amounts. I don't want a tonne of coal :p Thanks!
    What area are you in? Mcloughlins garage in Newbridge are doing 3 bales for €11.50. Don't think anywhere else is that cheap. Not sure about coal cos I get it cheap in work.

guil wrote: »
    What area are you in? Mcloughlins garage in Newbridge are doing 3 bales for €11.50. Don't think anywhere else is that cheap. Not sure about coal cos I get it cheap in work.

Brilliant. Close enough to newbridge to get them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Time to bump this again, Any deals to be had in or around Kildare town Newbridge Naas ect will travel for value,

Anyone know who sells Staffords coal in Kildare,

I tried a bag of Bord na Mona premium stove coal in my stove and found it very poor so need to get something better,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Check out "seems like a good deal on coal" in Bargains Alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

eiei0 wrote: »
    Time to bump this again, Any deals to be had in or around Kildare town Newbridge Naas ect will travel for value,

Anyone know who sells Staffords coal in Kildare,

I tried a bag of Bord na Mona premium stove coal in my stove and found it very poor so need to get something better,

Quinns seem to be the best for options and prices

http://www.quinns.ie/index.php/your-local-solid-fuel-provider/

Athy or Ballymore Eustace road, Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Thanks for the heads up,

Just got a bag of Arigna Ecobright in Telford's of Portlaois for 20€

Don't think it's a bargain but seemly its great coal and hard got,

They have no agents in Kildare when I rang them a few weeks back,

Advertisement