Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] World Cup qualification costs Serb president

Options
  • 08-12-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

I think we can look on this humility as promising, both for Serbia and politics. Of course, in our case humilty would be replaced with brazenness "So what! Fine me! Send me to prison!. I'll still be elected!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1208/serbia.html
    World Cup qualification costs Serb president
    Tuesday, 8 December 2009 13:45

A Serbian court has fined President Boris Tadic €400 for drinking champagne, in contravention of an alcohol ban in football stadiums, to toast Serbia's World Cup qualification.

Mr Tadic pleaded guilty to uncorking the champagne in a VIP lounge at the Red Star Belgrade stadium on 10 October after Serbia's victory over Romania, which qualified them for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Before the fine was handed down, Mr Tadic told the court that he was unaware that drinking alcohol had been banned at football games.
    Advertisement

'I did not know that consumption of alcohol, even if only for a toast, has been forbidden so I fully take responsibility for the violation,' he told the court.

'I take over responsibility and believe that, as every citizen, I should pay a fine or serve a sentence, whatever is the verdict.'

Along with Mr Tadic, other officials including Serbia's Football Association chief Tomislav Karadzic were fined €400 for violating the law aimed at preventing violence at sports events.

The law prohibits the sale or consumption of alcohol in stadiums and arenas during and 90 minutes after a match.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Would it be overly cynical to view this as a possible PR stunt?

Advertisement