Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone knows about the Golden Newfie

• 08-12-2009 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi to all , I am new member and I will be getting a golden newfie in a 2 weeks time, I know its called a designer dog in USA but cant seem to find anyone here who can tell me more about them , at the moment I am just reading on both breeds that is golden retriever and Newfoundland dog, the mother of the puppy is a Newfoundland landseer and the father is a Goldie :).

If you know anything about my cross breed dog please do help , thank you to all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Best thing is what you're doing - looking up both breeds as the dog will be a mixture of both. You may find that the pup leans more to one breed trait than the other (it also might be 50/50 traits) so it's best to cover all bases and research them both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lametisse

thank you very much for your reply. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

:D do you have any pictures? I had six German Shepherd x with we think a Newfie, still have three (two looking for homes) if you saw them you would not think there was any German Shepherd in them at all, not the colours or the "look"

as far as advice, you know you can only walk/exercise them a small amount to start - 5 minutes per 4 weeks of age, you will need to worm them monthly for the first year i think, and if you have other dogs in the house they will also need worming, apparantly they are quite good at housetraining which is good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You worm them every month til 6 months then every 3 months from then on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lametisse

Thanks guy this site is very good , i do have some photos of our little benji and he looks more than the mother newfie than the dad.
    I still keein reading on both breeds but as it is my first dog I am afraid that I will be doing something wrong, a puppy is like a newborn human baby and its an enormous responsibility, so any help with welcoming the puppy home and all those little things be great.

Cheers to all

Lametisse:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahmaher

Hey!
    How are you getting on with the golden newfie 2/3 years on? I really want to get one and looking them up I cant see any breeders for Ireland, could you tell me if you got yours in Ireland or abroad?? Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I have to ask, I really do, why do you want one of these dogs? No responsible breeder would ever crossbreed, so that rules out the chances of you getting a well-balanced dog free of health issues. Newfies and golden retrievers suffer from a myriad of health problems, and share quite a number of the same issues so it's all too likely that you'll end up with a dog with a very short lifespan. Not to mention that the so-called breeders of these dogs (which are not a breed I might add, there is no such thing as a golden newfie) slap a huge price tag on what is essentially a mongrel whereas you could spend the money on a properly bred purebred instead. Or else head to a pound/rescue, I've seen more than enough newfie mixes in the past twelve months to tell you that they aren't exactly rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Sarahmaher- Dragging up zombie threads is generally considered poor etiquette. The original poster hasn't been active in over a year so I'm locking this. I suggest you start a new thread with your query by clicking on the New Thread button on the main Animals and Pet Issue's page.

Thanks, Zapperzy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement