Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Champions league - Match Day 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What is the story with the 2 CSKA players who tested positive for a banned substance. Commentator mentioned it on sky. Can't find any more info on it online.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1208/cskamoscow.html

getting fooked out

Clerical error :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

What is the story with the 2 CSKA players who tested positive for a banned substance. Commentator mentioned it on sky. Can't find any more info on it online.

CSKA pair banned provisionally

The chairman of the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body today confirmed the provisional suspension with immediate effect from all domestic and UEFA friendly or competitive fixtures of the two players, Aleksei Berezutski and Sergei Ignashevich, from PFC CSKA Moskva.

United game
    The two defenders underwent a random doping test after CSKA Moskva's UEFA Champions League group stage match at Manchester United FC on 3 November. Both players' A samples revealed the presence of a prohibited substance under the category "S6. Stimulants" from the WADA Prohibited List 2009. The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body will meet to discuss fully the merits of the case on Thursday 17 December, at its next meeting.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=930973.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

team doctor said they were taking sudefed (or however it is spelt) and that he forgot to put it on the form to be filled in during the doping test after the United game.

I seem to know a lot more about this than the Sky fellas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Lol at Juve. ¡Hala Madrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone see the Madrid Game/ Highlights? Thought they were really lucky. Marseille had a goal wrongly (from what i could see) ruled out for offside and hit the bar with a penalty.... Madrid look really shaky at the back and i wouldn't back them to get past the quarter finals this year.

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone see the Madrid Game/ Highlights? Thought they were really lucky. Marseille had a goal wrongly (from what i could see) ruled out for offside and hit the bar with a penalty.... Madrid look really shaky at the back and i wouldn't back them to get past the quarter finals this year.

No way I can see Real Madrid win the tournament but they will go past the last 16 this season for the first time in about 5 or 6 years. The winner will come from:

Barca, Chelsea or Man Utd.

in my opinion. Nobody else is really strong enough. Real Madrid biggest problem is defensively and against the above 3 they will be punished. Someone needs to tell Perez that Marcelo needs to be dumped and a top class replacement brought in in January. Philip Lahm perhaps although cup tied but long term a good move. That will certainly go a long way to sorting out their problems.

I think Barca will take some beating, and Chelsea will be tough, but I think Real are better equipped to win it than Man U. And if they make the final, they are at the Bernabéu...

redout wrote: »
    No way I can see Real Madrid win the tournament but they will go past the last 16 this season for the first time in about 5 or 6 years. The winner will come from:

Barca, Chelsea or Man Utd.

in my opinion. Nobody else is really strong enough. Real Madrid biggest problem is defensively and against the above 3 they will be punished. Someone needs to tell Perez that Marcelo needs to be dumped and a top class replacement brought in in January. Philip Lahm perhaps although cup tied but long term a good move. That will certainly go a long way to sorting out their problems.
    I bet you didn't see Real winning it in 2000 either. At the end of the day, it's a knockout cup competition.

kinaldo wrote: »
    I bet you didn't see Real winning it in 2000 either. At the end of the day, it's a knockout cup competition.

I did indeed. That was McManaman with the super strike. No way this team will win. Day dreaming if you think they can.

• Advertisement

I did indeed. That was McManaman with the super strike.
    Seriously? When Madrid were languishing in the league, only had a caretaker manager, and drew defending champions Man Utd with the 2nd leg at Old Trafford, after being humbled by Bayern Munich TWICE!... thought I was the only one who predicted a win there.

Seriously? When Madrid were languishing in the league, only had a caretaker manager, and drew defending champions Man Utd with the 2nd leg at Old Trafford... thought I was the only one who predicted a win there.

I already gave your team a compliment by saying they will advance further in the competition this year but if you think I could seriously take them as challengers I am sorry but I just cant go there. They are far to weak defensively. If they meet one of the 3 I named or Arsenal they will concede several no doubt.

Since when do you need a decent defence to win the CL!?! It's all about firepower.

Since when do you need a decent defence to win the CL!?! It's all about firepower.

But in fairness Chelsea and Man Utd in particular and to a lesser extent Barca concede very few goals in Europe. Now considering the likeliness of these sides to score several against that Madrid defense a Madrid defeat looks more probable. I think once Real sort out that defense then they will be a serious player in Europe because they are very capable going forward with Ronaldo in the side.

But in fairness Chelsea and Man Utd in particular and to a lesser extent Barca concede very few goals in Europe. Now considering the likeliness of these sides to score several against that Madrid defense a Madrid defeat looks more probable. I think once Real sort out that defense then they will be a serious player in Europe because they are very capable going forward with Ronaldo in the side.
    I thought they showed last week against Barca that they can match it again with the big boys. Plus, they will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This time last year a lot of people on here wrote off Barca winning it, saying they have no defense and once they meet an English team they will be found out. The same is happening this year with Madrid. Madrid have an awesome team and a very good defense. They have 3 of the Spanish backline on their team and 2 of the 3 best players in the world in attack in Ronaldo and Kaka. They are also a new team and can only get better as they get used to each other's movements. Alright Marcelo and Pepe are dodge city but thats about it - their team is brimming with match-winners and I wouldnt be surprised at all to see them winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

RTE resisting the urge to show a meaningless Liverpool game tomorrow and are showing Barcelona instead. I'm very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

RTE resisting the urge to show a meaningless Liverpool game tomorrow and are showing Barcelona instead. I'm very impressed.

Agreed - fair play to them, they done the same last year one night with similar circumstances though I cant remember the match.

I thought they showed last week against Barca that they can match it again with the big boys. Plus, they will get better.

I can tell you that Real Madrid have a massive question mark hanging over their ability without Ronaldo and their dependence on him. Look at the results prior to his injury then compare them to during his absence. (absence was between red lines) This was questioned by the entire Spanish press and looking at it they do have a point. His inclusion will be paramount for Real Madrids chances this year.

55987889.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In fairness, I don't think they could justify showing the Pool game to their advertisers.

In other news - CSKA Moscow are facing being booted out, even though the qualified tonight... seems they were drugged up to the nines in the 3-3 draw against United.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055764798

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

When it comes down to 90 minutes and you cannot make a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Whose going to take the CSKA Moscow place? Will it be next in that group or next best CL team going by points/goal's scored or conceded/yellow card?

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Whose going to take the CSKA Moscow place? Will it be next in that group or next best CL team going by points/goal's scored or conceded/yellow card?

Wolfsburg if they are thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

That's great news so for Wolfsburg, I heard they might lose that Bosnian striker of theirs at the end of the season, but maybe if they do well in the finals stage of the CL he might stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

It should be wolfsburg really. They'd be the ones most affected by the cheating, if it was cheating. Doubt they'll be thrown out though, if it's as simple a mistake as was said.

On real's defence, i think the amount of goals conceded shown by that table above shows that they, as well as barça in my opinion, use attack as their form of defence. They have very attacking full backs, and great midfield players who keep possession well, rather than having a strong defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi guys

Can somebody answer this quick question for me. AC Milan have qualified for the knock out stages of the Champions League tonight. David Beckham will be at the club in January. Milan would have to register him to play in Europe and will that be at the cost of an already existing squad player. A bit unfair on whomever it will be as I'm sure Capello would want to see Beckham playing at the hightest club level with the World Cup just around the corner.

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi guys

Can somebody answer this quick question for me. AC Milan have qualified for the knock out stages of the Champions League tonight. David Beckham will be at the club in January. Milan would have to register him to play in Europe and will that be at the cost of an already existing squad player. A bit unfair on whomever it will be as I'm sure Capello would want to see Beckham playing at the hightest club level with the World Cup just around the corner.

He will 100% be registered to play in the Champions league but what is your question exactly ?

He will 100% be registered to play in the Champions league but what is your question exactly ?

Well isn't there a UEFA limit on the amount of players registered for it? Someone is going to miss out. Somebody already registered.

Well isn't there a UEFA limit on the amount of players registered for it? Someone is going to miss out. Somebody already registered.

As far as I know, he's already registered until June 2010 for both Seria A & CL, plus you can't deregister players already registered or add new ones (though I could be wrong there).

As far as I know, he's already registered until June 2010 for both Seria A & CL.

Cool. Thanks man.

Yes somebody will be omitted.

Is it fair ?

Perhaps not but when you have a world class player capable of precision crossing and deadball abilities what can you do ?

Its no different to AC Milan purchasing a player in January and registering him to be honest.

• Advertisement

Cool. Thanks man.

I hope I'm right on that!

As far as I know, he's already registered until June 2010 for both Seria A & CL, plus you can't deregister players already registered or add new ones (though I could be wrong there).

That is incorrect.

Its no different to AC Milan purchasing a player in January and registering him to be honest.

True - providing they're not cup-tied, that's when you can do it (I was incorrect in my other post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Was looking at the final points tally's in the groups tonight, and it really hit home how absolutely dominant Bordeaux were in qualifying. They won 5 games and drew 1, leaving them on 16 points, in a group with Bayern Munich, and bloody Juventus. It was one of the toughest groups, and they will have qualified with more points that Man Utd/ Chelsea/ Barcelona/ Real Madrid - all who arguably had easier groups. Amazing achievement for the team, they are turning out to be dark horses!

eZe^ wrote: »
    Was looking at the final points tally's in the groups tonight, and it really hit home how absolutely dominant Bordeaux were in qualifying. They won 5 games and drew 1, leaving them on 16 points, in a group with Bayern Munich, and bloody Juventus. It was one of the toughest groups, and they will have qualified with more points that Man Utd/ Chelsea/ Barcelona/ Real Madrid - all who arguably had easier groups. Amazing achievement for the team, they are turning out to be dark horses!

They did very well alright, but let's not forget that Utd, Chelsea, Barca & Madrid have all been there before & will have taken the usual attitude that 10 points in the group stages will see you through, so winning every game is really not that important in the long run.

Blanc has done a great job at Lyon, but they've no chance of actually wining the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ain't no room for sentiment when picking footballers. As a manager its your duty to make what you consider the best choices available to you, and taking the feelings of lesser players into account doesn't really come into that.

AFAIK you can dereigister up to 3 players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

They have 4 keepers registered not including the B list I reckon one of them will be sacrificed for Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

AFAIK you can dereigister up to 3 players.

So Football Manager tells me anyway ;)

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So Football Manager tells me anyway ;)

Lol, you couldn't have been more right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Lol, you couldn't have been more right!

Rule 1: Football Manager is always right
    Rule 2: If Football Manager is wrong see rule 1

:pac::pac::pac:

CSKA Moscow avoid Champions League ban for failed tests

CSKA Moscow will not be thrown out of the Champions League despite two of their players testing positive for a banned substance, Uefa has confirmed.

Sergei Ignashevich and Aleksei Berezutsky were suspended on Tuesday for failing doping tests on 3 November.

But the detected substance in question is on a list of "non-specified" stimulants so Uefa will not be invoking disqualification penalties.

CSKA beat Besiktas 2-1 on Tuesday to reach the last 16 ahead of Wolfsburg.

The two international defenders failed their tests after the 3-3 draw at Manchester United last month, resulting in their suspension for the victory in Turkey which sealed second spot in Group B behind United and a place in the first knockout round of the Champions League.

Part of Article 12 of European football's governing body disciplinary regulations states: "If more than one player from the same team is charged with a doping offence in relation to a prohibited substance or methods, the team in question may be disqualified from the competition in progress and/or future competitions.''

This prompted speculation that CSKA could be expelled from the Champions League, but a spokesman for Europe's football governing body told the Press Association: "In this case it is a specified substance so disqualification of the team does not apply, it is more the sanction of the players themselves."

Both Berezutsky and Ignashevich's A samples revealed the presence of a prohibited substance under the category 'S6 stimulants' from the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) prohibited list 2009.

CSKA has defended its players, claiming they were given a cold remedy while battling colds on international duty and the club's medical staff had failed to include the medication on a list given to Uefa staff before the game against United at Old Trafford.

The club highlighted that the substance in question was not on Uefa's banned list, saying in a statement: "The problem is that during the doping control procedures a clerical error was made by employees within our medical staff.

"For the players and for the club this news was truly shocking.

"Unfortunately, we do not yet fully understand all the circumstances of the case, but we have nothing to hide, and we believe our fans should be made aware of that.

"This situation has arisen in connection with the treatment of our players from a severe cold during their time with the national team, and not in any way with doping, which is also known by the relevant bodies within Uefa.''

Uefa will discuss the case further on 17 December, one day before the draw for the last 16 of the Champions League is made.

During the game in November CSKA led United 3-1 at Old Trafford before Paul Scholes's late strike and an injury-time Georgi Shchennikov own goal rescued a point for the hosts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8402843.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wish one of the channels were showing Inter's game against Rubin as there is at least an element of doubt as to whether they will qualify. Not having Sky digital, the options don't look too appealing. RTE, Sky and Setanta are all showing a pointless Liverpool/Fiorentina game while ITV are showing a game Wenger doesn't seem too bothered about as he's playing the kids. Sevilla and Rangers is another dud as the Spanish are through and Rangers can't make the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any ideas what match to watch tonight ?

maybe inter and Rubin, not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I wish one of the channels were showing Inter's game against Rubin as there is at least an element of doubt as to whether they will qualify. Not having Sky digital, the options don't look too appealing. RTE, Sky and Setanta are all showing a pointless Liverpool/Fiorentina game while ITV are showing a game Wenger doesn't seem too bothered about as he's playing the kids. Sevilla and Rangers is another dud as the Spanish are through and Rangers can't make the Europa League.

If you can pick up streams of the games you're sure to be able to watch Inter V Rubin somewhere mate.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    any ideas what match to watch tonight ?

maybe inter and Rubin, not sure

Aye, thats the most important game tonight.

Barca need to be beaten be at least 2 and a draw in the Inter game to be eliminated.

Inter really must succeed tonight, otherwise Serie A is at risk of losing a place in the Champions League to the Bundesliga. This was explained by Milan vice president Adriano Galliani earlier today:

"We really risk losing a fourth spot for the Champions League positions," Galliani told the press gathered outside Linate airport as the team returned from Zurich.

"This is the reason as to why I really will be supporting Inter tonight. The loss Juve incurred against a German team is terrible in terms of the coefficient points system for Italy in the UEFA ranking."

The possible demise of Serie A from Europes elite ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

G'wan the Bundesliga

Barca lineup:

Valdes
    Alves
    Puyol
    Pique
    Abidal
    Keita
    Xavi
    Iniesta