Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternate button layouts for sticks?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Quick question. Just wondering if there is a list of common alternate button layouts for using sticks with fight games.

I don't know what it is but I have a fairly hard time with current setup for things like FA and grab. I usually end up completely moving my hand to press MP and MK and using my middle and index finger instead of my middle and thumb (it just never feels comfortable)

I'm just wondering if there are any other layouts I could try that are different than lp, mp, hp on top, lk, mk, hk on bottom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You could try adapting the SNK layout.

They use four buttons in a row, so you could use the top four and the outside buttons of the bottom row.

You''d have four fingers laid out on top instead of three and could use thumb and little finger for the outside bottom buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Layout??

If you mean button configuration, if you have an 8 button stick you can always bind Focus and throw to their own button.

But if you mean actual button placement this has a pretty comprehensive list of layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sagat06 wrote: »
    If you mean button configuration, if you have an 8 button stick you can always bind Focus and throw to their own button.

I mean button config. I don't like binds for throw and focus. The less buttons I have to move my fingers over the better.

@chopperbyrne: How is that SNK config laid out? Like lp, mp, lk, mk along the top 4 buttons?

It was just a suggestion really, don't know anyone who would use that layout for SF games.

It would make sense to use the lights and mediums along the top though as they'd be the ones you're more likely to be pressing together for throw and focus. You'd also be transitioning between them more frequently than heavy attacks which is more often just a single press.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Apparently, some people who used the more- er- unusual arcades got used to kicks on top. Some people who used SNES too according to AJ.

Personally I think it's a good way to tell if someone is pure evil or not :D

• Advertisement

Some people also got used to having either no punches or kicks as their arcade owners were too cheap to buy six buttons cabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but I have a fairly hard time with current setup for things like FA and grab. I usually end up completely moving my hand to press MP and MK and using my middle and index finger instead of my middle and thumb (it just never feels comfortable)

That's how I do FAs and throws (index and middle finger) and I've never had any problems. You could try just using your middle finger spread over the two buttons for FAs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Reminds me of the first custom I ever built:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31529726@N06/2951737743/in/photostream/

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That's a weird one! What game did you have in mind when building it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Some people also got used to having either no punches or kicks as their arcade owners were too cheap to buy six buttons cabs!

Ah, I remember the frustration of suddenly discovering no FP in the middle of fighting a large gentleman with an extremely Dublin accent and his 14 friends :D

It's a good question though- there's probably a faster way to work FA and throws without going to binding.

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    That's a weird one! What game did you have in mind when building it?
    Boob Calibur, of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

L31mr0d wrote: »
    How is that SNK config laid out? Like lp, mp, lk, mk along the top 4 buttons?

Generally, it's:

A = LP
    B = LK
    C = HP
    D = HK

laid out like this:

46312792.jpeg

It has to be said, though, that this only applies to Neo-Geo games - after SNK stopped using that platform they switched to a Tekken-style layout (from KOF Neowave onwards), and even then not all Neo-Geo fighters (but most) used this control scheme - for instance, the Samurai Shodown games used one similar to the above except C and D were medium slash and medium kick respectively and to get a heavy slash or kick you pressed A and C or B and D at the same time. I remember reading somewhere that SNK made a dedicated six-button cabinet for SS2, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

AC
    BD

only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That's excellent man, how did it work out for you?

I was actually sitting with my TE in front of me today and thought of that layout myself. The 2 lower buttons mean you can hit them with your thumb or can depress both of them at once with your index finger.

Was messing around with some different button configs, then reset them and went into some player matches and it completely threw off my muscle memory.

Sadly enough, it was a custom job for a friend from work, and AFAIK he's never actually used it -- he's more of a collector :rolleyes:
    Ah well. I wouldn't really recommend the layout now; Sega Blast City FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I Set Kicks to the top row.

Advertisement