Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are catholic countries more corrupt

Options
  • 08-12-2009 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Alot of the basket cases in Europe seem to be catholic countries, Italy, Spain and Ireland. The same thing in South America. Why is it that protestant countries seem to do better and have less corruption than catholic ones? Are catholics more willing to accept corruption in people than protestants are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Max Weber, a German sociologist, linked the rise of capitalism to the simultaneous rise of Protestantism and its corresponding work ethic. Put simply Prods were less concerned with the all-important salvation in the afterlife and believed that salvation could be realised on earth through hard work. As a consequence (and you're speaking in very general terms here) Protestants tended to be more business orientated and worked harder and longer hours e.g Swiss Calvinists, German and Dutch Lutherans or the Puritans in England. These people, Weber argued, formed the backbone of these emerging states (which was the beginning of the end for feudalism) and that the prevalent practices in these states were shaped by their Protestant origins.

That having been said, people like the Chinese view Christian Westerners in general today as lazy, decadent b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Was just about to mention Weber myself.

There's a huge difference in the cultures of asia and the Christian European countries though. If the leader of China appears on tv and tells everyone they need to work harder, they'll go do it. If Cowen tried it here we'd either be laughing at him, or we'd actively decrease productivity in protest of him having the gall of asking us to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

SLUSK wrote: »
    Alot of the basket cases in Europe seem to be catholic countries, Italy, Spain and Ireland. The same thing in South America. Why is it that protestant countries seem to do better and have less corruption than catholic ones? Are catholics more willing to accept corruption in people than protestants are?
    It could be easily argued that may have been the case the case a generation or two ago ....even looking at a map of Europe for example, it was the northern , Protestant ones which were less corrupt, had a different ethic, a different attitude towards hard work + fairness etc. Compare the Scandinavian countries, UK, Germany , Holland etc ( not to mention elsewhere in the world like the USA, Canada, Australia + New Zealand ) at the time with elsewhere. Nowadays I am not sure if it has anything to do with religion or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

FTA69 wrote: »
    Max Weber, a German sociologist, linked the rise of capitalism to the simultaneous rise of Protestantism and its corresponding work ethic. Put simply Prods were less concerned with the all-important salvation in the afterlife and believed that salvation could be realised on earth through hard work. As a consequence (and you're speaking in very general terms here) Protestants tended to be more business orientated and worked harder and longer hours e.g Swiss Calvinists, German and Dutch Lutherans or the Puritans in England. These people, Weber argued, formed the backbone of these emerging states (which was the beginning of the end for feudalism) and that the prevalent practices in these states were shaped by their Protestant origins.

That having been said, people like the Chinese view Christian Westerners in general today as lazy, decadent b*stards.

I always thought the irish had a very lazy work ethic compared to other countries I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't think it is helpful to conflate the questions of corruption and work ethic.

Yes, I believe that the Protestant ethos can contribute to the work ethic. I am less sure that its concomitants are all good -- people can be esteemed for what they have rather than what they are; the idea of accepting responsibility for the welfare of others can be diminished.

I haven't been to Japan. Is it a very protestant place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

I don't think it is helpful to conflate the questions of corruption and work ethic.

Yes, I believe that the Protestant ethos can contribute to the work ethic. I am less sure that its concomitants are all good -- people can be esteemed for what they have rather than what they are; the idea of accepting responsibility for the welfare of others can be diminished.

I haven't been to Japan. Is it a very protestant place?
    I believe Japan is one of the most westernized/americanized places in Asia...

I am less sure that its concomitants are all good -- people can be esteemed for what they have rather than what they are; the idea of accepting responsibility for the welfare of others can be diminished.
    If you want to start a discussion on its concomitants then I suggest that is done on a different thread, possibly in a different forum. Suffice to say I think us in Ireland of all people should not point the finger about " people can be esteemed for what they have rather than what they are; the idea of accepting responsibility for the welfare of others can be diminished"

Now, back to the thread. The OP asked " Why is it that protestant countries seem to do better and have less corruption than catholic ones? " Work ethic is one thing. What about political system, or possibly historically smaller families ?

I always thought the irish had a very lazy work ethic compared to other countries I've been to.

We probably do now anyway, back in the day we were mad for the auld work, that having been said immigrants tend to work harder irregardless of nationality. Personally I find young Brits are dog lazy, even worse than us, and that's saying a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

How a country is run has nothing to do with Religion! Most wars that are branded 'religious' have nothing to do with Religion. I'm not religious and most people in this country, the government aren't especially religious yet you're trying to blame corruption on catholism, the two are like chalk and cheese imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As a consequence (and you're speaking in very general terms here) Protestants tended to be more business orientated and worked harder and longer hours

and then there's me.....:D

OP, most of europe and pretty much all of South America is Catholic, I'm not sure it is a good generalisation that you make.

France and Belgium are mainly Catholic and Iceland (I think) mainly protestant.

• Advertisement

and then there's me.....:D

OP, most of europe and pretty much all of South America is Catholic, I'm not sure it is a good generalisation that you make.

France and Belgium are mainly Catholic and Iceland (I think) mainly protestant.
    Yes, and Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Northern Germany , Holland etc mostly protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jimmmy wrote: »
    If you want to start a discussion on its concomitants then I suggest that is done on a different thread, possibly in a different forum. Suffice to say I think us in Ireland of all people should not point the finger about " people can be esteemed for what they have rather than what they are; the idea of accepting responsibility for the welfare of others can be diminished"

I see. Discuss the point I made, while suggesting that it is not properly made in this thread, or even in this forum.

Do you understand the idea of hypocrisy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In very broad brush strokes ...

The basic understanding that all your failings can made good by going to confession and that you can get away with doing so repeatedly would certainly lend itself to a somewhat more liberal interpretation of the law.

In non-economical terms ..

Only catholic societies have a strong tradition of carnival. A period of mischief and excess ...and on Ash Wednesday the slate is wiped clean ...until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Nonsense. Prod country's start all the wars, invade other country's and commit genocide. They are no one to admire.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Prod country's start all the wars, invade other country's and commit genocide. They are no one to admire.

Yeah like those Protestant imperialists in Spain and France. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

in a way yes , catholics have a less black and white view of the world than protestants , we tend to be more of a grey area when it comes to issues including corruption , as the kid in a bronx tale said , its great being a catholic , you just confess all the bad things you did once a month and the slates wiped clean

this is unfair , i believe us irish coupled the best of the anglo influenced work ethic and the catholic kind heartedness ( albeit sometimes superficial ) and warm personality and while up untill the past twenty years ago , we may have been a little too laid back , we were divils to work when we went abroad , this could of course be explained by the fact that most irish people are devils for money too :D

We probably do now anyway, back in the day we were mad for the auld work, that having been said immigrants tend to work harder irregardless of nationality. Personally I find young Brits are dog lazy, even worse than us, and that's saying a lot.

the opposite is the case , irish people nowadays are much harder workers , it a stereotype this view that every old person in the country worked every hour that god sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Wasn't Hitler Catholic? Anyway, it's amazing what you're views on transubstantiation can do to an economy.

irish_bob wrote: »
    the opposite is the case , irish people nowadays are much harder workers , it a stereotype this view that every old person in the country worked every hour that god sent

I don't know, we've certainly become more up our own holes about the sort of jobs we'd want to do anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

One of the main differences I've perceived, apart from liturgical, between Protestantism and Catholicism is the that Protestants were more likely to think for themselves and seek their own explanations. This probably stems from the lack of a "supreme leader" i.e. the Pope.
    This was one of the results IMO, of Luther's insistence on the Bible being made available in the vernacular, until then, Christianity was mired in the ritual and superstition of Catholicism. Making the Bible available to the masses, along with the advent of the printing press meant that people were able to see for the first time what was actually written, rather than rely on the interpretation of the, not always well intentioned, clergy.
    One downside of all this free thinking is the apparent weakness of faith among Protestants, probably due to the fact that ability to read and interpret the Bible allowed them to see the inconsistencies contained in it, unlike Catholics who sheepishly and I don't mean to be derogatory, followed obscure ritual.
    It also seems to me that Catholic countries, with a few exceptions, tend to be poorer than Protestant countries again probably due to the "work ethic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

There is a (silent) majority of Irish people who are hard working.
    The ones who complain about laziness tend to do so while sitting on their arse.

Then there are others who might have a bigoted viewpoint and the idea of Irish Catholics being lazy might suit their world view.

What angle are you coming from do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

peasant wrote: »

In non-economical terms ..

Only catholic societies have a strong tradition of carnival. A period of mischief and excess ...and on Ash Wednesday the slate is wiped clean ...until next year.

Are you referring to Carnival historically or modern day? I think modern day interpretations of Carnival are played out in the US (Burning Man et al) and Europe (Glastonbury etc), and it is not so much a catholic/prodestant thing, but there is definatley a divide in terms of creed and colour. Carnival tends to be for white middle class people who can afford both financially and socially a temporary period of reckless abandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭saol alainn

I don't think corruption in countries is related to religion. Is South American corruption any better/worse than corruption in Africa, for example? It's probably similar to the mafia, whether italian, russian or chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are you referring to Carnival historically or modern day?

The historical carnival ...people wearing mask and costumes, doing things they normally wouldn't.
    Excess of drink, disregard of authority, sexual adventures, etc

Think Rio or New Orleans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

peasant wrote: »
    The historical carnival ...people wearing mask and costumes, doing things they normally wouldn't.
    Excess of drink, disregard of authority, sexual adventures, etc

Think Rio or New Orleans.

Or Saint Ptricks day, after The Late Late show first aired of course, because noone done the sex before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

seriously you're easily the thickest gob****e i have ever seen. what age are you? i feel sorry for you:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

seriously you're easily the thickest gob****e i have ever seen. what age are you? i feel sorry for you:o

I think you will find he is Sinn Fein years of age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

PomBear wrote: »
    How a country is run has nothing to do with Religion! .

I would beg to differ - the Catholic Church in Ireland has, mostly in previous generations, a very big influence on it's congregations. They are a conservative, even right wing organisation, who encourage their followers to be so too.. that's why we didn't have divorce in this country for so long, why we don't have abortion & why we don't have same sex marraiges, or civil partnerships.

Basically, if you have a country that are devout to one religion in the majority, they will vote for parties & issues that represent their views, which will have a say in how the country is run.

• Advertisement

bmaxi wrote: »
    One of the main differences I've perceived, apart from liturgical, between Protestantism and Catholicism is the that Protestants were more likely to think for themselves and seek their own explanations. This probably stems from the lack of a "supreme leader" i.e. the Pope.
    This was one of the results IMO, of Luther's insistence on the Bible being made available in the vernacular, until then, Christianity was mired in the ritual and superstition of Catholicism. Making the Bible available to the masses, along with the advent of the printing press meant that people were able to see for the first time what was actually written, rather than rely on the interpretation of the, not always well intentioned, clergy.
    One downside of all this free thinking is the apparent weakness of faith among Protestants, probably due to the fact that ability to read and interpret the Bible allowed them to see the inconsistencies contained in it, unlike Catholics who sheepishly and I don't mean to be derogatory, followed obscure ritual.
    It also seems to me that Catholic countries, with a few exceptions, tend to be poorer than Protestant countries again probably due to the "work ethic"

individualism is indeed largely a protestant invention , this individualism and refusal to be dictated to by the church i believe explains why protestant countries are on average wealthier , i dont believe that catholics nowadays are lazier though , perhaps they are less hurried in spain and italy than in germany though

Advertisement