Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are catholic countries more corrupt

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I would beg to differ - the Catholic Church in Ireland has, mostly in previous generations, a very big influence on it's congregations. They are a conservative, even right wing organisation, who encourage their followers to be so too.. that's why we didn't have divorce in this country for so long, why we don't have abortion & why we don't have same sex marraiges, or civil partnerships.

Basically, if you have a country that are devout to one religion in the majority, they will vote for parties & issues that represent their views, which will have a say in how the country is run.

right wing and conservative are not the same thing IMO , the catholic church are socially conservative alright but they are left wing on economic matters , to me , right wing means liberal on economic matters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

irish_bob wrote: »
    right wing and conservative are not the same thing IMO , the catholic church are socially conservative alright but they are left wing on economic matters , to me , right wing means liberal on economic matters

+1

i think this misconception comes about because of the Conservative Party, and people get muddled up with their definitions.

from my experience of the left side of the house, the tend to be more socially conservative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

irish_bob wrote: »
    individualism is indeed largely a protestant invention , this individualism and refusal to be dictated to by the church i believe explains why protestant countries are on average wealthier , i dont believe that catholics nowadays are lazier though , perhaps they are less hurried in spain and italy than in germany though

I doubt Catholics were ever lazier in the physical sense, just not as motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'd say conservative countries tend to be more corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Another way to look at it possibly is that the Reformation was itself an offshoot of technological and financial developments. If there was money to be made investing and trading then a new religion was required that dumped usury laws etc. and was more economical getting rid of feast days and the like. The tendancy maybe that countries that were more likely to take advantage of the new trading systems were likey to adopt Protestantism. Spain and Portugal at that point were the waning powers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

+1

i think this misconception comes about because of the Conservative Party, and people get muddled up with their definitions.

from my experience of the left side of the house, the tend to be more socially conservative

I have no misconceptions or misunderstanding of definitions - I said that the Church are a conservative & EVEN right wing organisation. By that I was referring to the fact that on issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, and embryonic stem cell research, official Catholic positions stand solidly with the cultural right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

silverharp wrote: »
    Another way to look at it possibly is that the Reformation was itself an offshoot of technological and financial developments. If there was money to be made investing and trading then a new religion was required that dumped usury laws etc. and was more economical getting rid of feast days and the like. The tendancy maybe that countries that were more likely to take advantage of the new trading systems were likey to adopt Protestantism. Spain and Portugal at that point were the waning powers

A bit too convenient a theory in my book. From hazy memory of my history, Luther and Zwingli, the prime movers in the Reformation, were simple men, concerned more with bringing the faith to the man in the street than with commerce. The Catholic church then was the Fianna Fáil of it's time, salvation only for the wealthy.
    I don't follow your point about dumping usury laws, Protestantism was scripture based and the story of Jesus clearing the moneylenders would have been widely known.It was perceived, even in our own country, that Protestants are more honest in business. Subjective I know but it had to originate somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I haven't been to Japan. Is it a very protestant place?

The place is full of them. :D
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Prod country's start all the wars, invade other country's and commit genocide. They are no one to admire.

Wouldn't have anything to do with your view of Britain now would it :rolleyes:
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Yeah like those Protestant imperialists in Spain and France. :rolleyes:

Got there before me ;)
    Sure the Spanish were only spreading the word of God to all those heathen Indians :rolleyes:
    Wasn't Hitler Catholic? Anyway, it's amazing what you're views on transubstantiation can do to an economy.

Yep 1/3 of the Waffen SS were Austrian Catholic and Hitler did start in the Catholic area of Southern Germany.
    Sure wasn't the p[ope in the Hitler Youth ;)

I think there definetly is a work ethic and a moral ethos difference between historically mainly protestant and mainly catholic countries.
    Look at Scandanavia and northern Europe (Denamrk, Holland, Germany) versus southern Europe (Spain, Italy, Portugal).

Also looking at the way Canada and New Zealand are run, the Scottish protestant influence is very much evident to this day.
    Two countries that did to a large extent manage to stay outside the credit bubble madness.
    Then again the Spanish were pretty smart in protecting their banks :rolleyes:

Even if you compare the three Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
    Estonia would be most protestant I would guess and most Nordic/Germanic/Lutheran and the further south you go into Latvia and Lithuania, the more catholic.
    Estonia would have been the most organised and properous with Lithuania being the least.
    Of course somebody may come up with other reasons for this, but there is a marked difference in the three states.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Maby its to do with climate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What about education?

in other Catholic countries, is it common for the church to provide such a large slice of education?

Generally, I would say that the Catholic church was more interested in teaching Caholicism than it was in educating people, educated people ask questions and tend not to make such leaps of faith as "Sure, Jesus could walk on water", or "Sure, it was only a dig out from some friends".

I'm not saying Catholic's are/were less educated, but maybe educated in a slightly different, maybe less ambitious, way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

yes and i think it shows, kids in sweden, denmark and britain seem more aware than irish kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

A lot of good replies on here. If you're using Weber as an explanation then you should take into account the Protestant fear of not going to heaven. In very broad brush strokes, because of the different strains of Protestantism from Lutherans to Anglican etc. Basically the ones that believe they are predestined to get to heaven live in a fear of not getting to heaven. This would be seen as a result of a lack of faith i.e. only those who have faith and live their lives accordingly will get to heaven.

Committing a sin implies you're not living your life as if you'll get to heaven and could be seen as an indication of a lack of faith, so you won't get to heaven. Of course Catholics can go to confession and wipe the slate clean. So Catholics can be as corrupt as they like and still get into heaven once you've gone to confession to clean the slate. So taking that as your yardstick you could argue that sociologically Protestant societies had more fear of the consequences of corruption.

I'm sure others could put it better than I just have, but that's the broad outline of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

bmaxi wrote: »
    A bit too convenient a theory in my book. From hazy memory of my history, Luther and Zwingli, the prime movers in the Reformation, were simple men, concerned more with bringing the faith to the man in the street than with commerce. The Catholic church then was the Fianna Fáil of it's time, salvation only for the wealthy.
    I don't follow your point about dumping usury laws, Protestantism was scripture based and the story of Jesus clearing the moneylenders would have been widely known.It was perceived, even in our own country, that Protestants are more honest in business. Subjective I know but it had to originate somewhere.

I like the FF reference:D its complicated for sure. But if Luther had tried to peddle his wares in Spain at the time I doubt he would have got anywhere. You would have to compare the economic structures of a country like Spain versus say Holland , the 2 countries were just on different paths. The conculusion would be something along the lines that Spain being a more mature economy was more resistant to change. The up and coming countries had more incentive to dump the old ways. Another way of putting it would be if Luther had been around 300 years earlier would he have had the same effect, I doubt it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

FTA69 wrote: »
    Max Weber, a German sociologist, linked the rise of capitalism to the simultaneous rise of Protestantism and its corresponding work ethic. Put simply Prods were less concerned with the all-important salvation in the afterlife and believed that salvation could be realised on earth through hard work. As a consequence (and you're speaking in very general terms here) Protestants tended to be more business orientated and worked harder and longer hours e.g Swiss Calvinists, German and Dutch Lutherans or the Puritans in England. These people, Weber argued, formed the backbone of these emerging states (which was the beginning of the end for feudalism) and that the prevalent practices in these states were shaped by their Protestant origins.

Max Weber may have a point in general terms.

I agree with the view expressed earlier that it is dangerous to conflate the issue of work ethic and ethnicity.

I worked for a German multinational company, based in this country.
    I can tell you that we worked far harder and for longer than our fellow German colleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

SLUSK wrote: »
    Alot of the basket cases in Europe seem to be catholic countries, Italy, Spain and Ireland. The same thing in South America. Why is it that protestant countries seem to do better and have less corruption than catholic ones? Are catholics more willing to accept corruption in people than protestants are?
    No. The same can be said for any cutlure or belief system. Is China Corrupt, Cuba, Iran, Afganistan, The United States, Britian, (various to no religious beliefs)? In recent history, one could argue 'yes' quite easily.
    SLUSK wrote: »
    I always thought the irish had a very lazy work ethic compared to other countries I've been to.

I've worked abroad. I've been told by employers that they like to hire the Irish because they are 'good workers'. That's just my experience. There's a myriad of negative things one could post about other peoples.
    Both of your posts come across as veiled insults to Irish Catholics, (I'm sure they're not meant to). Simply posing a slur and a stereotype as a question doesn't take away from the view being proposed.
    It's difficult to substanciate (and let's face it, not very classy) any generalisation of an entire people, be it in a negative or positive light.

Anyone led by any religion has issues...that's my view, not going to burn anyone at the stake (something Catholics and Protestants have historically in common ;)) if they disagree.

Advertisement