Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil or gas central heating

Options
  • 08-12-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

We have been living in our (sort of) self build house for over a year now and our only source of heat is still an insert stove. It kind of keeps the house warm as it is well insulated but it isn't enough and to get decent heat, we have to keep the stove really stoked.

The plan was always to have an alternative heat source but my wife isn't into my plan which was a log gasification boiler. We have an air heating system from Hi Velocity and it is works like rads or underfloor to the heat source. Hot water in, returned to the heating unit again.

Water tank and all piping is in the garage, so it will just be a matter of putting in a burner and connecting to the tank and pipes going into the house for heating.

I have done some asking around and prices for gas are as follows

Burner €1114 delivered to New Ross (includes flue)
    Gas Tank €250 to commission and €108 per year rental
    Also need a concrete pad for tank at around €300
    No idea what plumbing costs but would be similar for oil.

Gas is at .45 per liter at the moment but heats less than a litre of oil, so perhaps running cost is more.

I really don't want to burn oil as it is not particularly environmentally friendly. Any input is greatly appreciated. I haven't priced oil at all but would welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Does anyone know if there are any grants available for either oil or gas in a new build given that we have been in the house for over a year now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi, To answer your last question first. I think you may qualify for a grant but you will need to talk with or read up on the sei sight www.sei.ie

I take it t'is LPg Gas you are talking about. A little more expensive than Oil. Gas is very dependable as it burns very clean whereas Oil will always let you down when you need it most. When the weather is very cold as cold weather puts it under pressure. Like a Car Battery. As it needs to be serviced regularly.

Advertisement