Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Care

Options
  • 08-12-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Not sure about any of those qualifications in particular. I am looking at Social Care in Galway University as a distance course. It is a 4 year degree. Any one got any info on this course?? Is it difficult to take on this kind of course (distance learning) without the attention of a tutor??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Degree is a BA honours in social care.
    It is distance learning but you are expected to attend classes about once a month too,in galways this year these are during the day on a monday and in portarlington they run 7-10 on a Monday.
    Do you work in the social care field?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

No, I did do the Special Needs Assistant course and I still work part time in as a teacher assistant which I got through work experience. It is too hard to get full time work so in the mean time I thought it would be a good time to take on a degree course as i would like to further my studies in this field.
    Its just that i have heard mixed reviews on the course. I like that it is a distance course, so I could study in my own time.. If I motivate myself!

Portarlington sounds like a better option since I am in the south. The course is also in Waterford but only as a Diploma course. I think it is expected you attend once a week???! Not too sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Once every 4-5 weeks.This year it is on a Monday at 18:45 in Portarlington and a monday during the day in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dione

I am applying to this course also and I have had friends do distance learning courses before and they have said its hard to study on ur own but usually da lecturers are easy to contact and work thru any queries or problems.

with things like boards it may help to get in touch wit other students and help each other out... jus a suggestion

• Advertisement

They brought in a new rule that if you miss 3 of your lectures they kick you off the course.
    I would look at all your options before doing this course I am not too impressed with it.
    The content and materials are very good it is just the rest that I am unimpressed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 macisback

You do not have to leave the course after missing three workshops its only if you don't get in touch with the tutor and inform them why you have not attended. Its a very easy going course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 macisback

I'm on the course in Port and the tutor did explain that we must get in touch I have missed more than three classes due to weather, family etc and there was no problem I just had to email her. Its a very low contact course and you have to stay in touch with them if you want to keep up. All courses have a minimum attendance rate, its not really that you are off the course but if you don't get their minimum grade you wouldn't have much grounds for a re-mark on your work if you haven't written to explain why you are missing. Its all in the handbook.

Yeah it looks like some of the stuff has been retracted and they are being more facilitating now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Catzz

I am thinking of doing the Social Care course in NUI Galway. It is done through distance learning. Is this a fully accreditated course. It is a level 8 degree. I have heard that it isn't recognised by all employers. Can anyone clarify this for me.

• Advertisement

It is fully recognised as a degree and by employers.
    It is worth taking in to account that there is quite a bit of compulsory class time too.

I rang NUI Galway today about the BA Social Care course done through distance learning. They said it is recognised by the college but it is not an accreditated course. They are trying to get it registered but there is no guarantee that it will get accreditated and it could take a few years. I don't fancy paying out all that money for the course if it is not recognised.

Now I am lost, in what way do you want it to be recognised?

http://www.nuigalway.ie/adulteducation/programmes/diploma_social_care.html

Is it social work you want to do rather then social care?
    There is quite a huge difference between them and if it is social work that you are interested in then take a look at http://www.nswqb.ie/

Social Care i would like to get in to. It's the Institute of Technology that have had the recognised courses. I was talked to someone else in relation to this and he said the registration process for social care practice is only slowly developing and no courses have been 'approved' at this stage. He said that is is recognised as an NUI degree, by NUI and presumably the DEPT of Education and Science.
    The Insitute of Technology sector only have been 'recognised' as bacic qualifications by the Health boards/HSE with Level 7 ordinary degree as the baseline. Many other employers of social care practitioners have followed the same line. NUIG is not currently a member of the umbrella body of the Irish Association of Social Care Educators (IASCE). But it has applied to join.
    The brothers of charity look at the people that have to Institute qualifications. Haven't been in touch with any other employers.

I would like to do this course myself but not sure about it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

Hi Catzz
    I was wondering did you do the social care course in the end?
    There will be no problem with the course once Coru are up and going but that could take years as there is no funding... this is my understanding.
    so help out there anyone..... please confirm someone found a job with the diploma or degree in social care from NUIG? From what i can see it is only good for continuing education.... but i want a job! I am doing this course at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You will get a job in social care with it...but the sort of work experience you have will be very important, as well as the degree you relay need to have worked in the area to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

This area is a mess, there is so much miss information and some employers continue to say there is an 'approved list' - it's just wrong.

Social Care Registration Board has been appointed but it is not yet in action. Therefore qualifications which are required for Registration have not yet been identified. CORU will acknowledge that employers are listing ‘grandparenting qualifications’ (i.e. courses which have been offered in the past such as the Dip in ChildCare) as requirements for employment purposes but say that they are not de riguer as registration processes have not yet been agreed.

I think if you study a HETAC Social Care course to at least Level 7 and show that you have experience, then you should be OK but be prepared to set a few employers straight if they are still cribbing old information.

yes but this is not a hetac course....

owla wrote: »
    yes but this is not a hetac course....

OK so an NQF Level 7 degree minimum.

The NUI Galway Social Care Course will still be mapped onto the National Qualifications Framework - NQF, just as a HETAC award is. The degree will have ECTS points etc

Just as an update and I hope this dose not put people off the NUI Galway course...the HSE are telling employers that only HETAC accredited courses will do.

• Advertisement

of course its going to put people off the course! how do you know the HSE are telling people this? What kind of politics are involved? Help someone! We are all learning the same thing, how can the HSE draw a blanket on the course?

I think its just handy for the HSE to say it has to be HETAC that just the way it is the HSE doesn't have the time and personnel to go through every qualifiedly themselves ...I do think it will be sorted when the NUIG course is mapped on the NFQ...

hi mariaalice
    have you done the diploma / degree in social care yourself?

Yes but I have other qualifactions as well ....I was working as a house parent ( just shows you how old I am :p)

So does your employer recognise your qualification? By the way I'm sure that the dip/degree is on the NFQ as any other uni course. Just that the employers don 't want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

im looking into doing a social studies/social care course sept 2012 and im really confused, where is the best place to do this course that will give a qualification that is reconised by all employers HSE and private??

ive to move to do the course so it dosent really matter to much where it is but would rather the west or midlands.
    im a mature student (25 and a single mother)

thanks

Then u should go with NUI Galway.. its just once a month, no need to travel far, it is a university so enough said. I agree that what matters is how much much work experience you have!! This is what employers look for.. thats if u are eligable.. although there is a girl in my class who had no experience at all!!!..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

does nui also have a full time course or even gmit? im starting to think that part time wont suit me, doubt i can movitate myself that much

Create links within the class and that's no prob, once you need motivation make contact. The tutors are great and make it interesting,

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Just as an update and I hope this dose not put people off the NUI Galway course...the HSE are telling employers that only HETAC accredited courses will do.

Maybe someone should tell CORU to tell the HSE to stop putting out misinformation - their in NO 'approved' list of qualifications for Social Care, the HSE is perpetuating this myth.:mad:

Advertisement