Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Care

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

I gather social care is way down the agenda in CORU ? They have very little funding..... why won't anyone in the HSE tell us why they have a problem with the qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

as was mentioned before its not a hectic course, I dont see how full time can help u still need to do all the assignments yourself. When i'm in doubt about something I contact some of the girls in my class and they do same... no problem. Maybe in the degree yr will find tough but thats to be expected.:cool:

hi rustopher
    are you working in social care and if so how doe s your employer feel about the nui qualification?
    I am doing this course too but concerned about the fact that HSE are not giving people jobs.
    Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

owla wrote: »
    I gather social care is way down the agenda in CORU ? They have very little funding..... why won't anyone in the HSE tell us why they have a problem with the qualification.

It's an important area to get straight re Registration but there is no one single lead body in this area, so it's a tough one to sort.

Getting a straight answer from the HSE wont be easy...is it ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mammabee

rustopher wrote: »
    Then u should go with NUI Galway.. its just once a month, no need to travel far, it is a university so enough said. I agree that what matters is how much much work experience you have!! This is what employers look for.. thats if u are eligable.. although there is a girl in my class who had no experience at all!!!..

I just finished 1st year in this course and it was two mondays a month.

• Advertisement

What I want to know is who out there has a job with this qualification... either degree or diploma.

owla wrote: »
    What I want to know is who out there has a job with this qualification... either degree or diploma.[/QU

The course is only finished its fifth year so when I started the 1st group of about 12 graduated, (honours degree level)so there is not many who can tell you the answer to that question, hope someone does though cos I would like to know myself. I will finish it regardless now, im sure I'll pick up something. Its an honours university degree, it has to turn up something!! I dont just want to be working in a nursing home though, dont need a fe~kin degree for that!

I am working in this area but not from this course. I agree its honors university degree and should be qualified in something more than working in nursing home. I'm sure something will come of it! Just keep cv updated wit work/w experience in this area!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I am working in this area but not from this course. I agree its honors university degree and should be qualified in something more than working in nursing home. I'm sure something will come of it! Just keep cv updated wit work/w experience in this area!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Yes im going to stay upbeat about it anyway, I mean I have read other peoples comments on who recognises this qualification and I have researched job positions and they all say applicants must have a 'third level qualification in social care' So Im sure that includes this course! ;) Of course I think experience counts for a lot in social care positions anyway, a third level qualification is what they look for also, but experience seems to be a must have. Hopefully we all get work after it all anyway. I say to anyone thinking about the course, just do it. An NUIG qualification is nothing to be laughed at!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 3schweine

Hello everybody,
    originally I'm from Germany but living in Ireland since about 3 years now. I'm 42, have two kids and since my husband lost his job, I work fulltime in a local nursing home. I really like my job and the work with the elderly but - to be honest - it's physically so hard and it's not easy to live of 9,50 Euro/hour. :mad:Although a lot of people gave me the advice to go back to Germany, I like it here and it would not be fair to pull my kids out of school again. Meanwhile they speak better english than german, they have their friends and they want to stay.
    I've just completed a FETAC 5 major award in healthcare support, all modules with distinction and I must admit that I really enjoyed going back to school and study. I always thought my english would not be good enough but my tutor convinced me to go for a degree. Well - now I'm really thinking of it.:) My only worry is the workload. My research did not give me information about it. Can anybody - who does/did the pt long distance BA social care - give me an idea how many hours/week I will need to study? Is it possible with 2 kids, a full time job but a supportive husband to manage it?
    I would be more than happy if anbody here could give me an answer.
    Thank you soooooooo much in advance.

Birthe

• Advertisement

3schweine wrote: »
    Hello everybody,
    originally I'm from Germany but living in Ireland since about 3 years now. I'm 42, have two kids and since my husband lost his job, I work fulltime in a local nursing home. I really like my job and the work with the elderly but - to be honest - it's physically so hard and it's not easy to live of 9,50 Euro/hour. :mad:Although a lot of people gave me the advice to go back to Germany, I like it here and it would not be fair to pull my kids out of school again. Meanwhile they speak better english than german, they have their friends and they want to stay.
    I've just completed a FETAC 5 major award in healthcare support, all modules with distinction and I must admit that I really enjoyed going back to school and study. I always thought my english would not be good enough but my tutor convinced me to go for a degree. Well - now I'm really thinking of it.:) My only worry is the workload. My research did not give me information about it. Can anybody - who does/did the pt long distance BA social care - give me an idea how many hours/week I will need to study? Is it possible with 2 kids, a full time job but a supportive husband to manage it?
    I would be more than happy if anbody here could give me an answer.
    Thank you soooooooo much in advance.

Birthe

Hello Birthe, I just finished the 1st year of the distance study BA in social care in NUIG galway and I have 3 small children ( as in all under six ) and it was indeed manageable. There is a work load but to be honest if you got through your fetac award, this will be no worse! Go for it, the only down fall is the price per year. The course I am on is 2,700 but they are not pushy and you can pay in installments through out the year. There is other foreign nationals on my course and they also cope fine. You will have no problems at all.
    Hope this was helpful. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 3schweine

Hi mammabee,
    thank you very much for the quick answer.
    mammabee wrote: »
    Hope this was helpful.
    Definitely helped me a lot to come closer to my final decision.
    It's just, that the costs are so high and I want to make sure that my money will not be wasted and that I do the right thing. ...
    mammabee wrote: »
    Best of luck :)
    Same to you and thanks again!!!

HI hope this thread is still open, on the subject of the social care course hope all made the right decision. I just started second yr and instead of Sats its on Mondays...the course director was no help when I explained it wouldn't suit me as I work Mon to Fri and mentioned it being an adult education course it should work with those of us who work... he was rude and condesending. Not only that but its 2 Mondays a month, I see it mentioned above but I was not aware of this when I started.

Anyway there's another issue to add to this.... I will carry on regardless!!!

HI hope this thread is still open, on the subject of the social care course hope all made the right decision. I just started second yr and instead of Sats its on Mondays...the course director was no help when I explained it wouldn't suit me as I work Mon to Fri and mentioned it being an adult education course it should work with those of us who work... he was rude and condesending. Not only that but its 2 Mondays a month, I see it mentioned above but I was not aware of this when I started.

Anyway there's another issue to add to this.... I will carry on regardless!!!

I am doing second year in this course also, and Im doing it on Saturdays??!! In NUIG??!! :confused::) There must be two classes, if so then, maybe you could join our class on a Saturday?? Its working out at about two saturdays a month also, but there is some gaps along the way.. If your on the same course I could give you my tutors phone number and you could see what she says.. Did you contact Yvonne Forde??

Yeah so he told me if i wanted to do it there, i think i can work it out but my real problem was that we didnt find out about this til the summer b4 going back. Was it same last yr in Portalington i wonder..maybe so. Galway would be over 3 hrs there and then back again. Yvonne Ford was never returning calls last yr and i think she may be gone this yr???
    Anyway thanks for advise will carry on and stop complaining... for now!! Hopefully the assignment we get in next class will be do-able!

Heard that this course is finally getting on board with CORU! Does anyone have any further information on this?

Yes our lecturer mentioned that they are currently in meetings about that!

once that happens it should clear up alot of the discussions that have taken place on this board. So we have to watch this space! If anyone has updates be sure to post.
    I have looked at Coru and they have taken off a list of courses that were on there which excluded the ba social care nui. Am I correct? (that they have removed a list that was previously on site... or am i imagining things).

Really? Do u know what they removed. I didnt see will take a look now...

in my memory there were a list of recommended qualifications for social care professionals on which the nui course was not listed? I am not 100% sure but if my memory serves me correctly this was the case. At any rate there are no list under qualification for social care on the current site. I don't know if I am making myself clear or not!

• Advertisement

is this post still open? Anyway..... anyone in the know about repeating assignments that were failed? i cant see this in handbook? especially since its so close to end of year i wondered if this opportunity is there? i have a feeling i may have failed the last assignment, thats why i ask!?:confused:

In my year (NUIG) people are given a chance to resubmit, your tutor will let you know once you get back your results.

is this post still open? Anyway..... anyone in the know about repeating assignments that were failed? i cant see this in handbook? especially since its so close to end of year i wondered if this opportunity is there? i have a feeling i may have failed the last assignment, thats why i ask!?:confused:

Wish I knew, my last assignment was effin impossible, I bet you'll pass it. I find that if you follow the assignment guidelines, and the assignment relates to the question, they are usually kind enough to pass you. Best of luck.

those who completed the final year in social care nuig, there is a day for going over the library on line and everything involved. This would be very imprtant for final yr dissertation. The problem is they are holding it on a friday...why do they do this to us? So would i get by if i didnt make this day (on account of work committments). Are they helpful if i contacted those involved in that area directly? i do need a reminder on everything involved when researching books etc.

Thanks!

Do you mean for those who are completing the final year?

Well either or... i thought the past pupils would know better regarding this. Anyway i just didnt want to make things harder before i even start. It could be a valuable day for getting started on the dissertation. Will prob ask in work anyway and see what response i get...

Advertisement