Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSB 6 Months Free Home Insurance - NOT!!!

Options
  • 08-12-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I am just off the phone with TSB after I rang about getting a home insurance quote. The lady told me straight away that TSB were offering new customers 6 months free on their home insurance policies. I thought this was great and gave her my details. She gave me a quote which was a few euros dearer than the others I had got elsewhere but I thought with 6 months free that price would be halved. SHe told me I pay nothing for 6 months(6 months free) and then the figure she quoted me would be divided by 6 to get the monthly repayments. I asked her should it not be divided by 12 and she said no, I paid nothing for 6 months and then I pay the whole thing over the next 6 months, with an even bigger monthly payment than I have already. I asked can I pay over 12 months, she said no. I told her this is not 6 months free insurance and she had the nerve to argue with me that it was. I told her it was a blatant case of false advertising and we left it at that as I was getting cross.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Is it possible that the PTSB quote was twice the other quotes you were getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am not completely understanding the problem here. It sounds right to me. Maybe if you give the price it might help me understand.

For example:
    If she quoted you 6 mths free plus the remaining 6 mths for €600 ie. €100 every 6 mth.

This would mean that the yearly premium is €1200 and they are offering 6mths free.

I think like the poster above said it may that the ptsb offering is more expensive than your current insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I am just off the phone with TSB after I rang about getting a home insurance quote. The lady told me straight away that TSB were offering new customers 6 months free on their home insurance policies. I thought this was great and gave her my details. She gave me a quote which was a few euros dearer than the others I had got elsewhere but I thought with 6 months free that price would be halved. SHe told me I pay nothing for 6 months(6 months free) and then the figure she quoted me would be divided by 6 to get the monthly repayments. I asked her should it not be divided by 12 and she said no, I paid nothing for 6 months and then I pay the whole thing over the next 6 months, with an even bigger monthly payment than I have already. I asked can I pay over 12 months, she said no. I told her this is not 6 months free insurance and she had the nerve to argue with me that it was. I told her it was a blatant case of false advertising and we left it at that as I was getting cross.

You should have asked what the RRP was.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 squiggles

You assumed that the price she gave you would be halved, when it actually already had the discount applied to it.
    So she's correct in saying its the premium, divided by 6 and paid over 6 months, leaving 6 months with nothing to be paid, so thats 6 months free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

stepbar wrote: »
    You should have asked what the RRP was.......

What's the RRP:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

RRP: Recommended Retail Price

For the sake of comparison, it would be worth knowing what 12 months normally costs.

If you believe that the ads are misleading, you can lodge a complaint with the ASAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Yes the price she gave me was half that of a quote without the special offer, but the half price quote was more than any of the 4 other insurance companies I got quoted from. Of course you can give an inflated price and then offer a great deal on half price insurance but when the original quote is completely unrealistic I still feel this is dishonest. Technically they are correct, they are offering 6 months free but it is the scheming way they are going about it that bothers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did you get any of it in writing, and was there a detailed repayment plan set out. If this was all done over the phone, then misunderstandings can easily happen. The price they quoted should have been the price for you to pay, and you should not have had to halve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

As said above. Premium is paid over 12months. 6months free. So 6 full preiums left at normal price. The option is there that after the 6th month cancel dd and switch so technically paying nothing .

Advertisement