Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP - keeping files synced between desktop / laptop

• 08-12-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I have a laptop and a desktop. I use both on a regular basis. I like access to the same files on both. I'd like to keep both synced on a regular basis (by hooking up to my home LAN perhaps).

Does anyone do this? Any suggestions? I'd rather not use external HDDs as they lack portability.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭wandererz

There are tons of utilities out there i'm sure. However have you tried Microsofts Synctoy?? - assuming you're running Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Id be interested in what you find: I'd love it if my Documents between a desktop and a laptop synced in realtime, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Will have a look at that one wandererz.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    Id be interested in what you find: I'd love it if my Documents between a desktop and a laptop synced in realtime, for example.
    robocopy does this . but it runs in the command line and not as a service

you could make it a service though with svrany or srvany (sp)

one BIG gotcha is if the time on either pc is out then it may copy files the wrong way based on which is newest :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've yet to use it myself but Dropbox is designed to do exactly this. A basic account with 2GB storage is free. Probably wouldn't be much use for media obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The only smart way to do this properly is to get a NAS box, or failing that to use a router that supports attached USB storage and slave an external hard drive to it.

Yes, you can faff about with Synctoy (I use this at work to keep my up-to-date patch/install files on my desktop copied onto the pendrive I carry around the building) but it's not really designed to keep the contents of two computers in sync, and as such the work involved in getting it to do that will be more than it's worth. (The only way to do it IMO would be to put all files you want to share on each computer into one folder, share that folder over your LAN, then map it over your LAN from the laptop and let Synctoy run a contribute-sync between the folder on the laptop & the folder on the desktop, and if you're dealing with more than a couple of GBs of files you could be looking at a good bit of time for each synchronisation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ok, maybe not in XP but in at least 7 you can use a Briefcase folder. make the briefcase on your desktop, fill it with your files, and copy it over to the laptop. Then just sync the changes whenever you switch from one to the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briefcase_%28Microsoft_Windows%29

Advertisement