Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep an eye for the shadow news tomorrow!

Options
  • 08-12-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

It's always interesting to see the non-budget news that slips by on Budget Day. It's a great time to make a company announcement or statement that would otherwise get a lot of hype!:cool: A thread dedicated to these cleverly timed news items could be interesting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I like this idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Overheal wrote: »
    I like this idea.

Me too

And lets not forget the talent FF show for trying to deflect attention away from decisions

EG crack down on provisional drivers announced on the same day as huge government pay increases (although this failed to deflect attention away)

I also seem to remember Beverly Flynn being accepted back into the party when something else grabbed the headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I shall be watching this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I heard a rumour that the Church are due to make some statements tomorrow, some that may include the stepping down of certain bishops.

There's another (though less substantiated) rumour that Ben Dunne is set to announce that BenDunne.com is actually not here to stay.

Very big story being overshadowed today...

"A neo-Nazi on trial for murder in America is to have his distinctive tattoos covered up by make up costing £100 a day in case they prejudice jurors.

John Allen Ditullio has a six-inch swastika under his right ear, barbed wire down the right side of his face and an extreme and very personal vulgarity scrawled on one side of his neck.

A judge ruled that the state must pay a make-up artist to cover them up."

(Courtesy of the Sindo.... http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/tattooed-suspect-gets-makeover-1969357.html)

In other news, BenDunne.com is here to stay according to the radio adverts & thus dispelling previous rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

...anything turned up?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Very big story being overshadowed today...

"A neo-Nazi on trial for murder in America is to have his distinctive tattoos covered up by make up costing £100 a day in case they prejudice jurors.

John Allen Ditullio has a six-inch swastika under his right ear, barbed wire down the right side of his face and an extreme and very personal vulgarity scrawled on one side of his neck.

A judge ruled that the state must pay a make-up artist to cover them up."

(Courtesy of the Sindo.... http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/tattooed-suspect-gets-makeover-1969357.html)

In other news, BenDunne.com is here to stay according to the radio adverts & thus dispelling previous rumours.
    More of a Stub than a headline.

...anything turned up?

Well, I was right about the Bishops - they made a statement today, but stopped short of any resignations...

From the Sindo again..

"Irish Catholic bishops have asked for forgiveness over the Church cover-up of paedophile priests.

Formally apologising over abuse and mishandling of allegations in the Dublin Archdiocese, the clergymen said they would open talks with child welfare inspectors to audit Church protection policy."

Full Story... http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/bishops-seek-coverup-forgiveness-1969387.html

It'd be funny that they chose to apologise for a cover-up, on a day when the apology would be effectively covered-over by the budget, only there's nothing funny about it. They are masters of spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭alias06

The apology from the bishops is welcome. However, as Fr Tom Doyle, canon lawyer, said on primetime a little over a weak ago, they are just words and are totally meaningless unless they are followed up with action. So far they church authorities have totally failed to take action.

Ordinary citizens responsible for these crimes would be charged and sent to prison. Those who knew of and covered up child abuse should come out and apologise not for the hurt that was caused but 'for what I have done' and then resign. They should also, if they really are sorry for what they have done, make a full statement to the Gardai.

Clerical child abuse is not some once off anomaly. Its a systemic problem that has its roots in the power structure of the catholic church (hierarchical, secretive, undemocratic) and its teachings (particularly in relation to sex, attitudes to women, attitudes to lay people etc) and celibacy. The Curch needs to undergo fundamental and radical reform to ensure this never happens again. This goes all the way to the top, right up to the current pope - the Vatican was part of the cover up and has yet to acknowledge its culpability.

And regardless of what reform it undertakes now the Church should be completely out of education that is funded by the taxpayer. This is supposed to be a republic. If France and the US can keep Church and State separate so can we.

It is highly unlikely that the Church will to undergo any meaningful reform under the current pope which leaves Catholics, who want to be able to look at themselves in the mirror, with little alternative but to defect.

Advertisement