Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows vista and 7 (see inside)

• 08-12-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Ok

Well yesterdayi installed Ubuntu (and messed the laptop up but its fixed now)

now,when i was partitioning my HDD in some software that was recommended to me by a friend i was there was a 14 GB partition before hand, and then another partition saying Windows 7, the 14 GB one didn't have a name, so i left it and installed Ubuntu,when it asked me where to install Unbuntu (along side windows) and it said Windows Vista on the 14GB partition and then Windows 7. So after installing Ubuntu i restarded it and it showed up as 3 diffrent OS's ( Ubuntu, Windows Vista, Windows 7) So i hit into Vista and it did its set up, but before it was done it came up as a big screen saying ERROR with red letter's.

So to wrap it up, is there anyway to unlock Vista

I would guess that Vista was pre installed, and then the locked it and installed Windows7

Thanks for the help:)

Comments

Mister Man wrote: »
    Ok

Well yesterdayi installed Ubuntu (and messed the laptop up but its fixed now)

now,when i was partitioning my HDD in some software that was recommended to me by a friend i was there was a 14 GB partition before hand, and then another partition saying Windows 7, the 14 GB one didn't have a name, so i left it and installed Ubuntu,when it asked me where to install Unbuntu (along side windows) and it said Windows Vista on the 14GB partition and then Windows 7. So after installing Ubuntu i restarded it and it showed up as 3 diffrent OS's ( Ubuntu, Windows Vista, Windows 7) So i hit into Vista and it did its set up, but before it was done it came up as a big screen saying ERROR with red letter's.

So to wrap it up, is there anyway to unlock Vista

I would guess that Vista was pre installed, and then the locked it and installed Windows7

Thanks for the help:)

Ive no idea what you did or what you are trying to say, sorry! What partition tool did you use? Easiest fix is usually a full format and reinstall.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Now,when i was partitioning my HDD in some software that was recommended to me by a friend i was there was a 14 GB partition before hand, and then another partition saying Windows 7, the 14 GB one didn't have a name, so i left it and installed Ubuntu,when it asked me where to install Unbuntu (along side windows) and it said Windows Vista on the 14GB partition and then Windows 7.

So after installing Ubuntu i restarded it and it showed up as 3 diffrent OS's ( Ubuntu, Windows Vista, Windows 7)

So i hit into Vista and it did its set up, but before it was done it came up as a big screen saying ERROR with red letter's.

I have no idea what you're trying to explain in that mammoth first sentence. Rather than trying to rescue what looks like a lost cause when it comes to attempting communication, let's back up and start again.
    • Is this your laptop?
    • If so, did you get it recently or have you had it a while?
    • If not, did the owner get it recently or have they had it a while?
    • Before you started making a mess with Ubuntu, what operating system/s was/were installed?
    • What, if any, set of instructions were you following when you tried to install Ubuntu? Did you deviate from it at any point? If so, how?
    • What operating systems are installed and booting correctly now?
    • For any non-booting operating systems, have you attempted to repair them using the recovery tools provided with the installation media?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will help build a clearer picture of what you've done to your laptop and thus how it can be undone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

ono the laptops fine, windows 7 and ubuntu boot fine, but in the boot menu theres a option for Vista

i got the laptop a little over a month ago pre installed with win7, im just wondering if theres a way to unlock the origanal vista OS which was on the HDD before windows 7 was installed

Fysh wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're trying to explain in that mammoth first sentence. Rather than trying to rescue what looks like a lost cause when it comes to attempting communication, let's back up and start again.
    • Is this your laptop?
    • If so, did you get it recently or have you had it a while?
    • If not, did the owner get it recently or have they had it a while?
    • Before you started making a mess with Ubuntu, what operating system/s was/were installed?
    • What, if any, set of instructions were you following when you tried to install Ubuntu? Did you deviate from it at any point? If so, how?
    • What operating systems are installed and booting correctly now?
    • For any non-booting operating systems, have you attempted to repair them using the recovery tools provided with the installation media?

Hopefully the answers to these questions will help build a clearer picture of what you've done to your laptop and thus how it can be undone.

Maybe the 14Gb is an OS recovery partition.

And grub is showing it as Vista.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ono the laptops fine, windows 7 and ubuntu boot fine, but in the boot menu theres a option for Vista

i got the laptop a little over a month ago pre installed with win7, im just wondering if theres a way to unlock the origanal vista OS which was on the HDD before windows 7 was installed

if it came preinstalled with windows 7 then there never was a vista

windows 7 uses the same type of startup that vista used, which is different to xp / 2000 / nt before them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

if you got the laptop new with windows 7, vista should not of been on it.

If you got it secondhand with windows 7 installed over a vista partition, it's very likely what you are seeing as "Vista" is meant to be a "Recovery image".

this is why i hate OEM companys pushing the image onto a hdd... if that goes awol yer buggered...

- Drav!

Advertisement